Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I drive my motorhome every week so do not lay it up, I suppose that the longest it ever goes between runs is three weeks. I have noticed on some yank forums that they suggest when parking up the motorhome for winter that you use a fuel stabiliser and then leave it. Some then suggest starting up for ten minutes or so as many do, can do it more harm that good. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim I think some of the advice is given for historical reasons, and doesn't necessarily apply nowadays.

Back when I was a boy cars had manual chokes, and oils and petrol were nowhere near as advanced as today, its was accepted that you decoked anywhere after 50,000 miles and engines needed rebores before reaching 100,000 now they seem to go forever.

So if you started your engine the petrol rich mixture caused by the choke, washed the oil off the bores, unless you then ran it to completely warm it up this wasn't replaced properly, so by stopping the engine condensation could form and then light rust, which when you restarted it at a later date caused even more wear.

With modern oils, and electronic engine management, I doubt this still applies.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with Olley..

Most wear occurs on the engine on the first few revs as you start up, so it really does it no good just starting for the sake of it..
If lying idle for a prolonged period Cummins advise to disconnect the fuel solenoid and turn the engine over a few times to get the lub oil around the bearings and cylinders .. never done this myself, but will start up and run up to temperature a few days before we move on, just to check all is well.
The engine battery is kept charged from a 4 A aux. output on the Victron unit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Guys

I did read on one forum that if parked for prolonged period you should ensure your fuel tank is full, as this stops condensation (ie water) forming inside the tank and dripping into the fuel.

Is that correct ?

Of course, others say to empty as much fuel as you can to stop it going "stale" if just sat there.

Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Paul fill the tank to the brim, otherwise the condensation can cause it to rust, which will fall to the bottom of your tank and can block the filter. More of a problem with petrol I would have thought.

Mind you if you are going to sit there for a year or two, why have you got an RV??

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes, so I 've heard John, but diesel can be stored indefinitely :thumb:

I try to stay full when stopping for a while, at the mo about 1/2 tank.. 150 lt

Hi Jim not sure if that is correct, this from another site:

yes it does have a shelf life. after a while the additives they put in it break down and in your case the Cetane number will alter

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim not sure if that is correct, this from another site:

yes it does have a shelf life. after a while the additives they put in it break down and in your case the Cetane number will alter

Olley

Most likely, never thought of the additives, but it won't do any damage or bung anything up.. maybe a good idea to add a dollop of diesel additive before moving off next time.. ?

cheers

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
We thought we might take the bus out for a run this weekend to give it a treat! :Smile:

Going to that garage that advertises diesel at £1.30 per litre - boy, that must be good stuff so as I said we are going to treat the bus to a drop of the 'good' stuff - at that price it's gotta be better than the 'cheapie stuff' we have been getting at JET. :thumb:

Rip off Britain, here we come - oh, sorry, that's on another thread isn't it?

Must have had too much of the good stuff, myself. :Blush:

Heads down!!!!!

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Now our van is in storage it is stood for longer than it use to be. We went up there this weekend to take it home and give it a clean and a run out as it has not mooved for a month. It has never stood for more than 2 weeks before and I was a bit worried it wouldnt start. But I jumped in turned the key and it started imediatly and It was -2 at the time and covred in frost. I let it tick over for a miniute and drove of.

I will plan to change the oil more regular than Ford say just for peace of mind. I have also heard of the keep the tank full thing too, but the tank on ours is plastic so no rust problem, but I suppose it is possable to get condensation in it?

Just filled it up this weekend with Tesco's finest and that cost £75, I would hate to fill yous up Jim at over £300.

Richard...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Petrol goes dead I am told.

it certainly does..........
recently sold a garden rotorvator that had been stood for a year and it would not start. drained the petrol and put in fresh and off it went first time :thumb:. bit embarresing when the buyers stood watching you getting frustrated.:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back