failing to stop---- copy from f b (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
iv copy thi from f b so not mine
1604351550855.png

If anyone has any details of an old style Kontiki motor home (part ref G30 MP?) with dents scratches along passenger side after hitting our car on Main Street St Bees about midday today (1Nov2020)

Thank you all for sharing post and for your helpful suggestions. Unfortunately the police have taken the decision not to prosecute the motor home driver albeit having evidence and reg G3 OMP 1995 Kontiki Motorhome and are leaving it to the insurance company. Obviously leaving scene of an accident and failing to exchange insurance details is not a priority. šŸ˜„Disappointed to say the least! If anyone knows this gentleman and recognises the vehicle or reg please let us know. Now hoping and praying the insurance company can trace this guy and get him to take responsibility for his reckless actions.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that all assumes the motorhome driver knew he clipped the car. The damage is very light, just the front bumper pulled off it's clips and split. He may have turned right and the back corner clipped the car, who knows?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's taxed ,mot'd and insured so should be ok for insurance co to sort out.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not wishing to be argumentative but for the benefit of all, there is no need, following a 'Damage only' accident to produce Insurance details to the other party and, just because there has been an accident it doesn't mean that 'other' side has been reckless.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Not wishing to be argumentative but for the benefit of all, there is no need, following a 'Damage only' accident to produce Insurance details to the other party and, just because there has been an accident it doesn't mean that 'other' side has been reckless.

But....... if you knowingly cause such damage and don't stop or give the other party (or anyone with reasonable grounds of requiring them) your name and address, reg no. and owner details if it's not your vehicle, you must report it to the police as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
But....... if you knowingly cause such damage and don't stop or give the other party (or anyone with reasonable grounds of requiring them) your name and address, reg no. and owner details if it's not your vehicle, you must report it to the police as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.
Thank you for elaborating.
There was no need for a 'But.......'
Just to add, there is a fundamental requirement to 'Stop.' following the accident. It is an offence not to do so. All the requirements post stopping are separate to that.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

phillipsheila You can put the 'Popcorn' back in the cupboard.
Me and billym obviously have more than MHF in common. It's a good 'Job' too.;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
nick, nick and all that (y) šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
You must stop and give anyone with a reasonable interest your details and the vehicle ownerā€™s details. You do not have to go looking for the owner of the damaged vehicle. But you do have to stop and remain for a reasonable time.
The bit about practicable and 24 hrs above is correct.
Basically, you canā€™t make off and then rely on reporting within 24hrs.

The driver has committed an offence and the police really should make suitable enquiries. But, as is common now, if the whole thing isnā€™t handed to them on a plate they will No Further Action the case (n)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Police rarely get involved in this stuff. Old lady backed into my car and stopped then buggered off. Photo, number plate, witness, cops didnā€™t want to know.
Phil

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Police rarely get involved in this stuff. Old lady backed into my car and stopped then buggered off. Photo, number plate, witness, cops didnā€™t want to know.
Phil
If she stopped for a reasonable time then no offence. You have her reg and evidence so itā€™s up to the insurers surely?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If she stopped for a reasonable time then no offence. You have her reg and evidence so itā€™s up to the insurers surely?
It was three years ago and the insurance did sort it out. I still felt cheated though, thankfully I had no claims protection.
Phil

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
From the OP quoting the FB post

"If anyone has any details of an old style Kontiki motor home (part ref G30 MP?) with dents scratches along passenger side after hitting our car on Main Street St Bees about midday today (1Nov2020)"

It would appear that the poster himself did not see the accident. If not he, who did and who implicated the driver of the number quoted?

It is possible that the Kontiki was seen in the street, but did anyone witness that vehicle actual hitting the poster's car and causing the damage? If so why is the poster asking for details? From whom did he get that registration number? Who said that vehicle had dents and scratches along the side?

A lot of unknown facts.

Tread carefully.

Geoff

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A few years ago I was sat in my car, waiting for my wife to pick something up. Opposite was a line of parked cars, on a slight bend. One of the cars moved out of line and reversed alongside the car behind and nudged it, stopped moved forward, nudged it again. Stopped and then reversed a second time catching the parked car again and leaving a scrape down the side. I thought he was going to stop but just drove off. I took the reg number and gave it to the owner of the damaged car.
I had a request from his insures to describe what happedc, which I provided. Weeks later I had a further request to reaffirm my observations. The driver of the car causing the damage had witnesses to prove he and his car were somewhere else at the time of the reported offence and that I must have been mistaken. They asked if I had known the victim, prior to the incident, what was the weather like, why was I parked opposite. Lots of questions, I felt as though I was the guilty one. Eventually I phoned the insurance company to advise that if necessary I would advise my observations in a court. The insurer advised that the damage would be covered by the victims own insurance.
Unbelievable really.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A few years ago I was sat in my car, waiting for my wife to pick something up. Opposite was a line of parked cars, on a slight bend. One of the cars moved out of line and reversed alongside the car behind and nudged it, stopped moved forward, nudged it again. Stopped and then reversed a second time catching the parked car again and leaving a scrape down the side. I thought he was going to stop but just drove off. I took the reg number and gave it to the owner of the damaged car.
I had a request from his insures to describe what happedc, which I provided. Weeks later I had a further request to reaffirm my observations. The driver of the car causing the damage had witnesses to prove he and his car were somewhere else at the time of the reported offence and that I must have been mistaken. They asked if I had known the victim, prior to the incident, what was the weather like, why was I parked opposite. Lots of questions, I felt as though I was the guilty one. Eventually I phoned the insurance company to advise that if necessary I would advise my observations in a court. The insurer advised that the damage would be covered by the victims own insurance.
Unbelievable really.

When my parked car was sideswiped by a hit-and-run local driver luckily there was a witness who gave me details. The guilty driver then reported his car as stolen. Oddly enough the "thief" had a sudden attack of conscience because lo and behold the car bearing traces of my paint must have been returned and parked right outside the culprit's house. I went to the local nick where a copper took down details but there was no follow-up. I had to claim on my insurance. One of those life-lessons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back