Failed to get uprated to 3700Kg at DVLA office (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Today armed with what I was sure was all the documentation to get my Rapido up-rated to the 3700kg as per the Alko plate----- I failed

I suspect it was typical of our government officers that do not know their ar-- e from their elbow.

She said I must go back with a weigh ticket showing 3700kg ----what a load of rubbish but how can you argue with them.

Pappajohn how long is it since you got yours changed and are the rules likely to have changed

Cheers Alan

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Same old story.. I have read this SO many times on forums..
Your right they DONT know what they are doing and DONT understand all the weights..!!!!

I had mine upgraded via SV tech... Went into Shrewsbury office with the V5, I filled in the section for new weight from 3850 to 4100kg. Showed them the paperwork and new weight plate... Nice smile, new tax disc and it was all done..

Good luck with gettin it sorted....

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Alan have a word with your dealer, the vehicle is new isnt it and if it has a 3700kg plate on it, it has been registered incorrectly in the first place. It shouldnt been down to you to chase around to sort it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Today armed with what I was sure was all the documentation to get my Rapido up-rated to the 3700kg as per the Alko plate----- I failed

I suspect it was typical of our government officers that do not know their ar-- e from their elbow.

She said I must go back with a weigh ticket showing 3700kg ----what a load of rubbish but how can you argue with them.

Pappajohn how long is it since you got yours changed and are the rules likely to have changed

Cheers Alan
Play them at their own game.....

load the van until its groaning then visit a weigh bridge.

with any luck you should get it up to 6 or 7 tons and then it will be registered as such.

in reality, they are a bunch of muppets and don't know their VIN from their VINO.

its around 3 years since i did it and NOTHING has changed.

I bet if you go back tomorrow and see a different muppet they will sort it there and then.

you can write to Alko and request a certificate of conformity but that will cost you.....from what others have posted it could be as much as £70.
but as Chatter said, go back to your dealer...their mistake in registering so ask them to get a certificate of conformity via Alko-Kober.

whatever route you choose... don't give up....it needs sorting one way or another.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Exactly the same happened to me, and could not understand why. After all the weight should be lower than the new max. and it was when I went to the local weigh bridge, so could not understand what difference it makes.

Returned to DVLA at Carlisle with certificate from weight bridge. Presented to a different operative and she never even looked at the certificate just handed it back to me and apologised because their computer couldn't print out a new tax disc. They sent it on later.

The first man clearly did not understand their own system. We should be complaining to the DVLA - if we thought they had the intelligence to know what they are doing, which they clearly have shown they do not. :Doh:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
When I uprated mine from 3500Kg - 3850Kg didn't even bother to go to a DVLA office, did it all by post.

Got a new Certificate from ALKO which cost £75 + VAT and sent everything to Swansea, filled in the V5C correctly and they did everything, even regraded it as a PHGV and refunded me the difference in VLD.:thumb:

Whole thing took about 10 days from start to finish except the refund which took a little longer.

Cannot fault DVLA on this occasion

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Ah, well perhaps it's not surprising that DVLA local offices are likely to close.

From the BBC on 8 June:
DVLA Swansea staff in walkout over proposed cuts

"The union says 1,200 staff at the DVLA's 39 local offices across the UK which are facing closure took part last week's industrial action."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18358749

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I uprated mine from 3500Kg - 3850Kg didn't even bother to go to a DVLA office, did it all by post.

Got a new Certificate from ALKO which cost £75 + VAT and sent everything to Swansea, filled in the V5C correctly and they did everything, even regraded it as a PHGV and refunded me the difference in VLD.:thumb:

Whole thing took about 10 days from start to finish except the refund which took a little longer.

but if anything had been amiss it would have been days, or even weeks, before they sent the docs and forms back, with little or no instruction what to do next.
send them again and another numpty checks them and finds something else wrong (in their view)...more time waiting for it all to be posted back and so on and so on.

visit DVLA you can argue a point and get 'clear' :ROFLMAO: instructions as to what they need and how to get it.

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)

So apart from being able to carry more, is there a saving in road tax cost ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So apart from being able to carry more, is there a saving in road tax cost ?
Certainly is.....

private heavy goods (over 3500kg) flat rate of £165 pa

hasn't increased in price for a few years now and doesn't go up like PLG tax class every year.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Same old story.. I have read this SO many times on forums..
Your right they DONT know what they are doing and DONT understand all the weights..!!!!

I had mine upgraded via SV tech... Went into Shrewsbury office with the V5, I filled in the section for new weight from 3850 to 4100kg. Showed them the paperwork and new weight plate... Nice smile, new tax disc and it was all done..

Good luck with gettin it sorted....

am I correct that I could do this with my 05 plate scout with the alco chassis should I require it? does the train wieght stay the same as I was thinking of takeing two extra passangers in the motorhome and pulling their trailer tent (1000k)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
am I correct that I could do this with my 05 plate scout with the alco chassis should I require it? does the train wieght stay the same as I was thinking of takeing two extra passangers in the motorhome and pulling their trailer tent (1000k)

Alko reduced the towing (train) weight on my kontiki from 2000kg to 1650kg when i received the new certificate of conformity and it was correctly re-registered as 3850kg gross.
They just supplied a new stick-on plate to stick over the original, which already showed 3850kg, but the higher 2000kg train weight.
i didnt stick the plate on, so kept the 2 ton trailer limit :Blush:

as to if you can up-plate...it depends if you have a higher weigh chassis than the base vehicle plate shows.
IE:
base vehicle plate = 3500kg
Alko plate = 3700kg (or higher maybe)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Alko reduced the towing (train) weight on my kontiki from 2000kg to 1650kg when i received the new certificate of conformity and it was correctly re-registered as 3850kg gross.
They just supplied a new stick-on plate to stick over the original, which already showed 3850kg, but the higher 2000kg train weight.
i didnt stick the plate on, so kept the 2 ton trailer limit :Blush:

as to if you can up-plate...it depends if you have a higher weigh chassis than the base vehicle plate shows.
IE:
base vehicle plate = 3500kg
Alko plate = 3700kg (or higher maybe)

sorry should have said im allready plated to 3850kg (standard for the scout) but was interested in going to 4100kg and still being able to two more than 1000kg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My tax adjustment/refund took about ten days , my V5C has arrived after 5 weeks. That's piss poor performance and would be a problem if I'd being going to Europe

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
keep at it .our local dvla are right switched on . couldnt be better.
what use a weight ticket is a daft idea .its maximum weight not running weight . go back ask to see the masnager . you do have to make a fuss sometimes .
i just ask to see either the vehicle inspector or the manager . always works for me.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Ah, well perhaps it's not surprising that DVLA local offices are likely to close.

From the BBC on 8 June:
DVLA Swansea staff in walkout over proposed cuts

"The union says 1,200 staff at the DVLA's 39 local offices across the UK which are facing closure took part last week's industrial action."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18358749

Don't worry you will not miss them.....I have the missfortune of having to deal with the DVLA almost daily and have posted many times Not Fit for purpose....they can't get much right ring them 5 times and get five different answers.....the amount of times I have to tell them what the rule or regulation is and sujest they check it is unbelievable........if they get rid of a few it may wake the others up after all it's us silly buggers paying their wages :Doh: rant over.

Sorry to answer ypour question Alan you don't need to go on a weigh bridge at all you were right.....it might help to have the manufacturers gross weight as this is the one you need rather than the max chassis weight.......but hey they won't know that ask for a stupidvisor they may know :thumb:

All the best Rick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m just glad that truro dvla are really switched on. only a few weeks ago payed a visit got a german bike regd and log book in three days . already had mot on frame number .but i get on well with the staff at ours .
was even better when they did out visits . i got a mates changed by the inspector with out telling my mate next door . i had a key for his truck .again he visited on a saterday mornuing mate had a log book all sorted in 3 days he couldnt believe it .he was going to send pics etc to swansea . but all sorted for him.
i shall miss ours must be the best dvla in the uk.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry should have said im allready plated to 3850kg (standard for the scout) but was interested in going to 4100kg and still being able to two more than 1000kg
as you already are 3850kg I would say you need the services of SvTECH to go through everything.

it should be possible but many things need checking...tyre ratings, brakes, suspension etc

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Thanks guys, it's reminded me I need to ring em tomorrow morning to enquire if there's any news on them renewing my licence. Only expired in January .... LOL so I am currently only legally able to drive in the UK.

By the way, if you send stuff by post, it actually takes up to a fortnight to get scanned, and not until that has occurred does it get looked at by the next level in the food chain.

Tra la la ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back