failed mot on foreign headlights help in finding rhd headlamps (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Here's one on eBay. It says RHS but as far as I can remember LHS & RHS are the same.

Broken Link Removed
THIS IS A LEFT HAND DRIVE HEADLIGHT AND COMES WITH A FREE BEAM DEFLECTOR FOR THE UK MOT

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
thanks everyone for your input really useful info ,i will post here to let you all know how i get on ,thanks all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have a look at this:
Link Removed
It looks like your tester needs to look at it too.
That site is only a 3rd party publication that is often out of date and can not be relied upon for accuracy the Genuine Testers Manual is available on line for all to see
Here 3rd one down just click browse to read it
Please do READ it and UNDERSTAND it before quoting from it that's where the tester has gone wrong
Its the Understanding and interpretation that takes the skill
and really that's only achievable with Vosa training and insight
G

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Hi
I had read and understood the document you refer to. I have discussed this very issue with VOSA locally. It's worth saying that the tester's manual is VOSA's (now since April of this year DVSA) interpretation of the C&U and Lighting regs. Their interpretation of those is also subject to challenge and interpretation by the legal profession and anyone else who cares to read them. MOTUK are in the business of keeping up to date with the interpretation of the law and keeping people informed hence their value as a research source. Neither sources can be considered legally definitive, only the appropriate regulations can.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
JUST CONTACK COSTAL MOTOR HOME NO F.......G ABUT JOB DONE

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Interesting to note the testers manual says it's OK to mask RH lamps for temporary use?

"Masks or converter kits may befitted to right hand dip headlamps totemporarily alter the lamp for use inthe UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’to the right"

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
hi .i got new lh drive lights as one of mine was nakered anyway ,they came from coastal motorhomes very quickly ,came with the eurolites beam deflectors but no instructions on positioning the deflector ,?going to fit the lights myself tonight hopefully

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
these are what i got tootles ,they are lhdrive with beam deflectors ,tring bto work out deflector position buddy
Well, the idea of the deflectors is to shove the beam over to the left. And so, the deflectors will probably be in the front left of the units, if looking from the front. You need a dark night, and a white wall.......

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
The trouble with buying second hand lights of this type is that you don't know how old they are, and it is the seal between the glass and the reflector that dries up over time.

My N/S one showed no tarnishing in the reflector, which is usually a sign that the seal has blown, but the glass came away very easily when I tried to remove the beam deflector as the mastic/glue they use had dried up.

Hymie.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
I had read and understood the document you refer to. I have discussed this very issue with VOSA locally. It's worth saying that the tester's manual is VOSA's (now since April of this year DVSA) interpretation of the C&U and Lighting regs. Their interpretation of those is also subject to challenge and interpretation by the legal profession and anyone else who cares to read them. MOTUK are in the business of keeping up to date with the interpretation of the law and keeping people informed hence their value as a research source. Neither sources can be considered legally definitive, only the appropriate regulations can.
I find your comments confusing

My advise was for every one to read and understand before quoting , it was not particularly aimed at any individual. If you did fully understand you would be well aware that token questions and replies from any local office are unreliable at best and often completely wrong.
There is a correct dept to apply any such questions to and they will only quote directly from the manual. there is only one testing manual and I can assure you in any legal activity IT would be the quoted definition, and I supplied a link to it, I would be a fool to quote MOTUK's version. when access to the official documents are just as simple, Vosa Special Notices delivered via the Comp system also impact on regulations from the date sent in most cases I can not rely on a third parties site information being updated either on time or accurately
The C&U regulations do not have any bearing or impact on an MoT test, the regulations often differ completely on the same subjects
I only deal with MoT Regulations and that is what is applied to and during a MoT test regardless of C&U.
G

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
true hymie ,ime just hoping these lightsas tootles post are straight swap,as new lights but remade.catch 22 too i need it to be dark in order to mark beam height etc of old lights ,but then that makes it harder to see in order to fit new ones lol

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Nunny, be careful, there are quite a few smallish screws that have to be removed and refitted in order to fit these lights, would be awkward to do in the dark, and the adjusters work on a ball and socket fitting, the socket end is a plastic plate bolted to the glass fibre bodywork, it is not that hard to break the plastic socket if it is rusted up.

The O/S one I bought from coastal motorhoms had the wrong size adjusters, to small for the socket, so I had to reuse the originals.

The top adjuster goes in to a segmented socket and if you break one or more of the segments the headlight will flop about.

Not trying to put the frighteners on you, just some practical advice from doing the same thing.

Hymie.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Nunny, be careful, there are quite a few smallish screws that have to be removed and refitted in order to fit these lights, would be awkward to do in the dark, and the adjusters work on a ball and socket fitting, the socket end is a plastic plate bolted to the glass fibre bodywork, it is not that hard to break the plastic socket if it is rusted up.

The O/S one I bought from coastal motorhoms had the wrong size adjusters, to small for the socket, so I had to reuse the originals.

The top adjuster goes in to a segmented socket and if you break one or more of the segments the headlight will flop about.

Not trying to put the frighteners on you, just some practical advice from doing the same thing.

Hymie.
mines same wrong size locating screws ,only one of my locator pegs on the plate is broke anyway where the peg sits in on the ball

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
hymie all sorted ,cheers buddy ,just one thing when you put ypur lights on where did you place the eurolites beam dedlector ?

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Bottom left hand corner Nunny, with the narrower part pointing in to the centre, that's what the paperwork said.

Hymie.

PS, good luck with the MOT.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
thanks hymie and everyone ,our hymer passed after i did the lights and the two front ball joints were replaced by the garage .£30.00 for ball joints £40.00 each side to fit ,,the lights i supplied ad fitted were good and passed so thankyou everyone for all your input and valuable info .much appreciated

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
hi
im a mot tester and have been for many years and can assure you that there is no problem with lhd headlamps provided tape or deflectors have been fitted securely to the lens so there is no longer a rh kick-up on the projected image but instead a flat line within the given margins

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Just apply black tape to the angled pattern section on the right hand side of the glass...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back