Fact or Fiction...... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quote from the recent Telegraph review of the California SE which I think says it all.

...the California is rather wonderful. Indeed, in the context of my last outing in a mobile home, it's little short of outstanding. Then again, that did take the form of a sodden weekend in a giant, Styrofoam packing crate perched precariously on the back of what used to be a perfectly serviceable Peugeot van… :ROFLMAO:

That clunking contrivance boasted a lavish upholstery design based on a cross-section through a month-dead cow, balsa wood-flimsy furniture prone to disintegrate like a model aeroplane brought down with a 12 bore, a heating system which left you freezing in your bunk whilst rendering the ceiling hot enough to baste a chicken, and a propensity to rock like a rowing boat in the wake of an ocean liner at even the hint of a mid-slumber cough. :ROFLMAO:

The California is, by contrast, largely a masterpiece of packaging, ergonomic and build-quality excellence. It's also unique; Volkswagen remaining the only car manufacturer to build its own campervan in house.:thumb:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
well aye, naturally, couldn't've put it better myself :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Ok, if you can live with a wife and 2 dogs in a shoebox and don' mind the 'brown bag over head' type of bog privacy.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ok, if you can live with a wife and 2 dogs in a shoebox and don' mind the 'brown bag over head' type of bog privacy.

Life is a compromise Wallace, granted you won’t need a brown paper bag in a Styrofoam packing crate perched precariously on the back of what used to be a perfectly serviceable Peugeot van… but there are many benefits.:coolthumb:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Well, 18 years on my styrofoam box is still sitting on its steel chassis rails without leaks, sagging or juddering. Not too many converted steel boxes still going at that age, unless cherished and dry stored!

Maybe the answer is not to use Sevel based vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well, 18 years on my styrofoam box is still sitting on its steel chassis rails without leaks, sagging or juddering. Not too many converted steel boxes still going at that age, unless cherished and dry stored!
Maybe the answer is not to use Sevel based vans.

True but Sevel based vans are much cheaper than the better options. I think that you are very lucky to go 18 years without a leak. A damp tester is a standard bit of kit in a lot of coach built vans. "See Link Removed

Some years ago I had a Kontiki from new, after a couple of years we had to use an umbrella in the lounge to stay dry. The kids use to eat in their pup tent, they said they didn’t like watery soup. It was aptly named by the dealers the Konleaky.:helptitanic:
Enjoy your travailing in whatever you drive Wallace and I hope you stay dry for many more years. It sounds like you have a good one.

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi Buttons, I did not mean to mislead you into thinking I had 18 years trouble free or drip dry motorhomeing!!!

I have only been playing this particular game for 4 years and in that time I have had to remove and reseal 2 roof vents to cure minor dampness. The van on the other hand is still going after 18 years thanks in part to having a one piece GRP roof, aluminium sides and built on a rigid chassis by a non Sevel manufacturer.
I am so glad that when we started we could not afford a new British built van when I read the reports of some posters.

PS, I am not anti VDub - we just could not fit in one!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back