Facebook - I need some help with a site I look after for a charity (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking for help from those who are well versed in how to do stuff on Facebook!

I do the website for Hull Greyhound Rescue and also deal with enquiries via Facebook (I don't use it for anything else). The HGR charity page was set-up prior to my involvement with it and I was just allowed to access it fully to edit, send messages etc.

I have an issue as message notifications from Facebook HGR are no longer coming through to me, they stopped about 2-3 months ago for no apparent reason and I can't find a way to 'enable' them again despite searching the web for info on what to do.

There appears to be no facility for me to change the email address linked to HGR to my HGR email (greyhoundmel@gmail.com), in fact I can't even find an existing one in the settings!

All I want is to receive notification when someone posts a request for info on HGR page so that I don't miss them which is what happens at present and is a nuisance not only for me but obviously for those with queries.

HELP!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I hope someone knows the answer, my notifications stopped mid January. I can't find a fix.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
seems to be a common problem but this might help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
seems to be a common problem but this might help
Thanks for that (y) but it's on my laptop that I'm having problems as I don't use a Facebook app on my phone. I'll try installing the app on my phone though as that might mean I get them that way rather than not at all.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Anyone else got an ideas on this? I managed to find where to change the 'public' contact email address but still no notifications.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
; Anyone else got an ideas on this? I managed to find where to change the 'public' contact email address but still no notifications.
I use these folk. They are really knowledgable. Might be worth being a bit cheeky and calling them. They can only say no.
computer centre Whitby 01947 605859.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Looking for help from those who are well versed in how to do stuff on Facebook!

I do the website for Hull Greyhound Rescue and also deal with enquiries via Facebook (I don't use it for anything else). The HGR charity page was set-up prior to my involvement with it and I was just allowed to access it fully to edit, send messages etc.

I have an issue as message notifications from Facebook HGR are no longer coming through to me, they stopped about 2-3 months ago for no apparent reason and I can't find a way to 'enable' them again despite searching the web for info on what to do.

There appears to be no facility for me to change the email address linked to HGR to my HGR email (greyhoundmel@gmail.com), in fact I can't even find an existing one in the settings!

All I want is to receive notification when someone posts a request for info on HGR page so that I don't miss them which is what happens at present and is a nuisance not only for me but obviously for those with queries.

HELP!
How were you receiving the notifications? Was this by email?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
If you were added as an Admin by whoever set up the page, you may have to get hold of them to make you the page owner, and then delete the orignal owner before you can start to fix this. Meanwhile ...

On a laptop or PC, on the left side of the screen, you'll have an admin panel. That will have the Inbox:

1618994629939.png

Click on the Inbox and look at what you've got next ...

1618994703462.png

It may be as simple, as turning messages back on here ... this is from my bar's page, messages off after lots of 'are you still open' messages during lock down. :rolleyes:

If it is off, and there is still another Admin on the page who has moved on, they may have turned the messages off to stop being bothered by them, not realising it stops them going to all Admins.

If it's not off, then I shall go and stroke my beard in a wise, contemplative manner and try another guess later ....

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If you own the page then you can edit the email address. On the laptop go to "More" (the hamburger menu). Select "Pages" from the menu on the left. This will show the Pages you manage. Select the one you need to edit which gives you "Mange Page" menu.. Then go to "Settings" (cog wheel at bottom on the menu on the left). This gives you menu "Page settings". Select Page Info (3rd from top). Half way down is your email adrress etc. for that Page.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My wife says that sometime in the last few months Faceache seems to have changed the admin procedures for private groups and she is having trouble with her pages too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How were you receiving the notifications? Was this by email?
Yes email, they just suddenly stopped and I only found out as I went on the page and found there were a load of messages that needed answering.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Yes email, they just suddenly stopped and I only found out as I went on the page and found there were a load of messages that needed answering.
Wish I could help, but looks like there are more knowledgeable Funsters getting involved. Good luck. I find that anything to do with FB admin/settings is a nightmare.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you were added as an Admin by whoever set up the page, you may have to get hold of them to make you the page owner, and then delete the orignal owner before you can start to fix this. Meanwhile ...

On a laptop or PC, on the left side of the screen, you'll have an admin panel. That will have the Inbox:

View attachment 487800

Click on the Inbox and look at what you've got next ...

View attachment 487801

It may be as simple, as turning messages back on here ... this is from my bar's page, messages off after lots of 'are you still open' messages during lock down. :rolleyes:

If it is off, and there is still another Admin on the page who has moved on, they may have turned the messages off to stop being bothered by them, not realising it stops them going to all Admins.

If it's not off, then I shall go and stroke my beard in a wise, contemplative manner and try another guess later ....
Thanks, I'm the only one who is authorised to work on the FB page as they upped the security on it last year so I was made the Admin at that point.

The messages are turned on already ... so keep stroking your🧔! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you own the page then you can edit the email address. On the laptop go to "More" (the hamburger menu). Select "Pages" from the menu on the left. This will show the Pages you manage. Select the one you need to edit which gives you "Mange Page" menu.. Then go to "Settings" (cog wheel at bottom on the menu on the left). This gives you menu "Page settings". Select Page Info (3rd from top). Half way down is your email adrress etc. for that Page.
Thanks, the menu options are a bit different to those you've given, possibly because this is a Charity page, but I managed to find where you meant and that's exactly where I managed to change the email the other day so the email for the Charity is correct (greyhoundmel@gmail.com) and I've logged into it and the auto-forward to me is definitely active with no messages going into the Spam folder thus preventing them being forwarded.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
OK. You're in process of elimation mode now to find out what's wrong.
I'd suggest checking it with another email account first. If you have another account (preferably not Gmail, so maybe just create a "throwaway" Hotmail account called testemail4hgreyhounds@hotmail....).
Check that account works by just sending it an email yourself.
If it's OK (ie receives the mail) then switch the Facebook greyhound page to that account.
Go onto Facebook (pref someone else goes onto Facebook) and se if it works.
If it does - the problem is with the old Gmail account.
If it doesn't - the problem is at the Facebook end.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Burgo

I already had alternative emails so double checked that one was working okay by sending an email from my normal account to it as well as the original greyhound one and both emails arrive okay and the one to the greyhound email was directed to my normal emial account too so the forwarding is working okay.

I then changed the email on the greyhound facebook info to my alternative one but when I did a test message from my hubby's facebook account (using a different browser) no notification came through.

I also turned off auto-responses but again this hasn't made any difference whatsoever.

Ergo it's definitely a Facebook issue as no matter what I do nothing is coming through at all ... looks like I'm gonna have to try contacting them and see what's wrong at their end in the meantime I'll just have to remember to check facebook every day which is a nuisance but better than missing messages when people are wanting to adopt doggies!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Your pages may be different but my wife reports that her closed group can now only be accessed by people who have been approved by the administrator. They now have to initiate contact by choosing “join group” which then initiates a request to admin who then has to approve the request before communications are opened. Perhaps yours is not a closed group and should behave differently?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Your pages may be different but my wife reports that her closed group can now only be accessed by people who have been approved by the administrator. They now have to initiate contact by choosing “join group” which then initiates a request to admin who then has to approve the request before communications are opened. Perhaps yours is not a closed group and should behave differently?
Its not a closed group due to it being a charity thus it's viewable by everyone so no approvals are needed to join it but that's for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Has the beard stroking produced any further suggestions? :giggle:

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Has the beard stroking produced any further suggestions? :giggle:
Sorry, no - I thought you'd fixed it?

Update - now I've read the thread, obviously not. I'll delay the beard trim to retain enhanced inspiration.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Double check that notification options are still all set up correctly to send notifications from Facebook.
Go to the Page. Select "Settings" from bottom of menu on left (cog wheel icon) to give you "Page Settings" menu.
Select "Notifications" and check:
Global Notifications On and "Receive a notification in real time each time there is activity or there are updates on your Page".
Page Interactions - Allow notifications On.
Allow email notifications ON and also Allow SMS notifications are On (if you want SMSs as well).
Receive Notifications - Select what you want, but to trouble shoot I'd go for all of them.
Ditto Groups On as well.

If they're all already set up OK, the toggle them all to OFF.
Log out of face book and shut down then restart the laptop.
Log back in, Log back into Face book and go back to the settings and re-enable them all.
Then try the test email again.

If it works then you can start de-selecting any options you dont need / want.
If it doesn't then you'll need to start looking at the dusty pages in the manual!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Well done for being involved with such a charity, makes me wish I could help.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Burgo

Thanks I'll try that later on and let you know if it works.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well done for being involved with such a charity, makes me wish I could help.
Thanks, we only got involved as where we worked (University) were getting rid of loads of duvets from the student residences and I got wind of it so asked if we could donate them somewhere rather than them being skipped (hundreds of them!) so hubby contacted the various animal charities and we took them round. We found that the HGHR were a very small independent charity with only a handful of helpers and wanted to help them but didn't want to 'commit' to having to do stuff somewhere regularly as obviously with our MH we're not always here so it was difficult to know what to do.

We subsequently found out that the lady doing the main HGHR website hadn't bothered with it for ages and it was a mess, totally out of date even though she'd been asked to sort it, consequently it meant that dogs weren't being advertised as needing homes etc. As I'd done websites in the past I said I'd happily take it on as I could do it wherever I was, even abroad. I took it over with no instructions on how it worked or set-up, just given the log-in details. It was a bit of a learning curve for me but I got there in the end and at the same time wrote a detailed instruction manual so that anyone in the future who takes it over can do so without the messing about I'd had ... it also comes in handy for me too as I don't do somethings that often so forget how! :giggle:

Helping a charity doesn't necessarily mean you have to be out doing something like in a shop, running around etc, they tend to have plenty of volunteers for that, its usually the 'office/admin' side that can be challenging especially for the independent small ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back