Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
2000 Romahome Duo.
Unfortunately, I've found it impossible to find replacement material for the 3" x 1 " scuffed/frayed area on the drivers seat bolster.
It' looks like I'll have to try an "invisible" repair.
Has any one had any successes with the various glues/powders available on Amazon etc?
Thanks

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
I have used the powder to repair tears and splits in fabric with success but you will never truly have an invisible repair. If I were attempting to do your repair I would put some thin fabric behind the damaged part of the seat and then use the powder so that you have some stability in that area. You have to heat seal the powder for it to repair the damage. I have repaired really fine fabrics and even trousers with a similar powder.

Hope it goes well.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks Rita, that;s good to know.
Can you remember the name of what you used please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Hi zaskar, I can't find my powder at the moment but it is very similar to that on Amazon. I bought mine from a fabric shop some years ago.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I've used the super mend brand before. The success of it will depend on the fabric that you are trying to mend.

As @RitaG suggests, where the back of the fabric that needs to be repaired is not visible I usually put a small square of cotton so that the powder not only joins the edges of the tear together but also keeps the two sides of the tear together by gluing them to the bit of cotton (like it would if you used one of the iron on repair tapes).

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I've used the super mend brand before. .............

That's exactly the one I'm thinking of.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Thankfully, it seems that the seat fabric is in two layers and the "backing" layer seems to be OK, its the outer woven/patterned layer that has frayed so I might be in with a chance.
I know that it will never be invisible but if I can at least stop it getting any worse, I'll be happy enough.

Thanks guys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back