Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as I said like a wheelchair front wheel

your first pic.....

someone can do a neat circular weld...unfortunately not to both bits of metal at the same time...shoddy/inexperienced workmanship.

second pic...

manufacturing defect in the swivel stub axle or over-stressed in use...probably the later, speed bumps/potholes etc.
there is no suspension so the tyre and stub will take the brunt of any sudden shock.

As I said like a wheelchair front wheel.. they often collapse .. so I can see it happening over and over on this kind of set up... as said it does now have suspension on it so on the kick from forward to reverse and back that is a lot of stress especially with a motorbike on it. Poor design... but then I have been saying that for years about caster wheels on wheelchairs.:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Bob:Blush:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Shame it`s not just down the road from me-- i could fabricate it and re mig weld for you and you could finish your trip, but it`s a long way away to repair :Eeek:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
sorry to hear of your troubles and i have never used one of these reversable trailers myself, but if as others have said the swivelling action is a weak point, then could you not just get the castor wheel/wheels welded into a fixed position thus leaving you with a conventional bike trailer ! regards garry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not without altering the front bar

sorry to hear of your troubles and i have never used one of these reversable trailers myself, but if as others have said the swivelling action is a weak point, then could you not just get the castor wheel/wheels welded into a fixed position thus leaving you with a conventional bike trailer ! regards garry

That would not be possible if the front bar was still attached as it makes the unit a rigid extension, hence the swivel wheels.. the fixed bar would have to be removed so the tow bar would allow the trailer to move.... to take that bar off i suspect would weaken the unit more.

Bob

OP
OP
R

rarin2go

Free Member
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Thank you all for your kind offers of help both in the UK and France.

I did in the end call my insurers and ask for legal advice. They advised me on my rights under the Sale of Goods Act and told me to get in touch with Ezetow for some details.

However, when I phoned Dave offered me the new Demonstrator if I could pick it up from Coventry. After a discussion with my husband on the pros and cons we decided to return and pick up the demonstrator.

We drove the 200km to Calais on Tuesday afternoon, took the tunnel and drove to about an hour south of Coventry that night.

On Wednesday Dave and Cliff spent 3 hours fitting the new demonstrator to our motorhome, complete with new tow bar. Dave has also given us a good amount of spare parts and has even ordered us a new folding aluminium ramp.

He did indeed send the spare parts for the old one as they arrived at my sisters yesterday.

I know our solution is not for everyone, we are taking a bit of a leap of faith in spending money (diesel plus tunnel) to get the same, but improved, trailer.

My husband has had a look over it and pointed out the improvements to the suspension etc and is happy with the new quality.

We have picked up the bike and the remains of the trailer today and left a bottle of whisky and a tin of Quality Street with a surprised but happy gendarme.

We have now travelled 200km to Boneval (I hope I have spelt it correctly) with the new trailer and bike and the trailer has behaved very well. I have my husband looking out the rear window every time we go round a roundabout or over a speedbump!

Many many thanks to all of you who have posted suggestions or wished us well, we have been overwhelmed by the responses.

Elspeth

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Good luck with the rest of the trip....you'll laugh about this one day.........hopefully.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Nooooooooo

There is no railway station at Yeovil :ROFLMAO:

Yes there is! Yeovil Junction!

Train every two hours, usually delayed by 3!:ROFLMAO:

Many years I travelled on that train - 4.30am leave for college, Home at 10.30pm - squeeze a quick pint in before bed!

Hated the journey!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back