Extreme quotes for fulltiming!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Our motorhome insurance is due for renewal on 5th November so I have been busy getting quotes today. As we will be classed as full-timing from March I have narrowed it down to Safeguard and Comfort as recommended by Funsters. Both companies were very helpful and friendly and I discussed our plans in detail to ensure the quotes covered our needs. Comfort's quote including breakdown & recovery was nearly £900 and Safeguard's quote was only £333. How can it be so different? Comfort suggested I may not have been quoted proper full-timing insurance from Safeguard but I had already got them to email me confirmation of this and a copy of the policy so I could read the finer details.
Was Comfort's quote extreme or Safeguard's exceptionally cheap? Who knows as I have no previous experience but I do know which policy I will be taking out if all the small print matches up!! :Smile:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

We had a full timing policy from Comfort, premium was £850. I am pretty sure that Comfort are the only brokers that offer 'proper' full timing insurance. I would make absolutely sure Safeguard realise you will actually be living in the van and if they agree - get it in writing!

Its always possible to take a bit of a chance and not tell the insurance company you are full timing but they can (as Comfort say) ask for proof of your permanent residence, utility bills etc.

The above only applies if you don't have a permanent place of residence.

Paul

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
From my experience these firms are only brokers for underwriters,some of which don't understand the uses of motorhomes. This may account for the variance of the quotes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We will be retaining ownership of our home here and still paying Council Tax (our son & his partner are moving in so our house wont be empty while we are away) and I got them to confirm everything in an email so it looks like a very good quote. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
by retaining your house you arent fulltiming . just long terming . i assumer the address for contact is your house . the vehicle registered and your driving licence etc all to the house?
depending on age try saga , or just take whats on offer . some dont like covering eu fully comp for long terming .

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Our motorhome insurance is due for renewal on 5th November so I have been busy getting quotes today. As we will be classed as full-timing from March I have narrowed it down to Safeguard and Comfort as recommended by Funsters. Both companies were very helpful and friendly and I discussed our plans in detail to ensure the quotes covered our needs. Comfort's quote including breakdown & recovery was nearly £900 and Safeguard's quote was only £333. How can it be so different? Comfort suggested I may not have been quoted proper full-timing insurance from Safeguard but I had already got them to email me confirmation of this and a copy of the policy so I could read the finer details.
Was Comfort's quote extreme or Safeguard's exceptionally cheap? Who knows as I have no previous experience but I do know which policy I will be taking out if all the small print matches up!! :Smile:

your lucky I tried to get a quote from safeguard for a motorhome I may by buying, just for normal use, they said do not cover isle of man resident's

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
by retaining your house you arent fulltiming . just long terming . i assumer the address for contact is your house . the vehicle registered and your driving licence etc all to the house?
depending on age try saga , or just take whats on offer . some dont like covering eu fully comp for long terming .

yes, sorry I should have written long-terming not full-timing. The Safeguard quote is only £50 more that what we paid last year for normal cover and recovery where we were limited to 90 days so we are very pleased. I will still check out Saga though now I qualify!! ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you can look at it like that. as in op case family are there i dare say they will return . if only for a visit and get mot etc . i know a few that live in their driveway all summer as the house is rented out . you have to decide are you or arent you .
best not say no fixed abode .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Don't know if they cover full timing, but try Scenic.
They are a motorhome insurance outfit, part of Swinton.
We don't full time, but I've always had good prices from them.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I pay comfort £1800 for fulltiming.:cry:

Ian

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Re

I am full timing and with Safeguard my insurance is only £250 with all there standard breakdown for uk Europe, at first they said they could not insure me as I was full timing but as I warm on a campsite they have some special dispensation and class me as a site agent. .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

My full time insurance is £770 with breakdown on a 7.5 ton 36 foot RV
Sure guard is my insurer hope this helps

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We opted for the safeguard policy in the end with full breakdown and repatriation. It cost us £317 with 365 days European cover and unlimited mileage. Very happy with that ::bigsmile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just check that the 365 days is just that, it usually covers you over 365 days but for trips to Europe of no more than 90 days at a time.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Just check that the 365 days is just that, it usually covers you over 365 days but for trips to Europe of no more than 90 days at a time.

Nigel and Pamala

Don't worry we checked, it is a longtermers insurance and they assured me we were covered for an unlimited number of days and mileage per year. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think the most extreme quote is "all fulltimers are mad tax evading gypoes", far too extreme they are not ALL mad:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We have been FT for 2 years, and until now only had 'standard' insurance.
Opted for Comfort, as over the past two years from what we have researched and know of others - they are the ony broker who offer this officially. (the policy is with Aviva).
Previously were pretty static, but now we intend to move around a lot I wanted to be 100% legit!!!
They know we don't own or rent a house, and only required a 'care of' address, and cover us 365 wherever we are with no restrictions. Includes contents, breakdown, full UK and Europe for however long and wherever. For piece of mind it was worth it - £895. Will be interesting if the Safeguard policy is actually proper FT with no other ties etc. as if it is sounds like a bargain!! Be good if it is, as that will give Comfort some 'competition' which is always good to get prices down:thumb:

Bizzarly though, I called Comfort to quote for my car renewal which is due - and they couldn't cover that because we don't have a residential address and they know we are FT !!!:Doh:
Back to the 'normal' route for that one then!!!

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I made a mistake in using full timing in the title as it should have been long terming. The reason our quote is so cheap is because we will still own our house and are on the electoral roll and paying council tax so we are not deemed full timers ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back