Extra seat belts? (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all, well are aware that chassis cabs are built into coach built, van conversion and American rv,s. When extra seating is built into the motorhome, ie 2 berth, 3 and 4 berth etc. Will they have to be crash tested like the chassis cab and are they part of a mot??.
How do self converters get over this problem?. What is stopping anyone adding extra seat belts? You inform your insurance that you have x number seating capacity.
That is the can of worms opened up, I was looking to purchase another M/H only to be told it is a 2 seater only, but it sold as a 4 berth?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
2 travel seats & 4 berth is quite normal.
Virtually impossible to add additional belts, use the forum search facility loads of threads on it.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Your v5 will tell you how many seats it has, you would have to change that as well and I don’t know how easy/difficult that is...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As Lenny HB says, very difficult / impossible to install additional seat belts - that meet construction and use regs - to a MH designed and built with only 2 (or any other number).

OP
OP
T
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for your replies, Google it, if seat belts are fitted you must use them. If none fitted it is not illegal to carry passengers. Gov 2014

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This should help (y)
[AMS=article, 18][/AMS]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all, well are aware that chassis cabs are built into coach built, van conversion and American rv,s. When extra seating is built into the motorhome, ie 2 berth, 3 and 4 berth etc. Will they have to be crash tested like the chassis cab and are they part of a mot??.
How do self converters get over this problem?. What is stopping anyone adding extra seat belts? You inform your insurance that you have x number seating capacity.
That is the can of worms opened up, I was looking to purchase another M/H only to be told it is a 2 seater only, but it sold as a 4 berth?
Quite easy on a panel van to include rear seats in a conversion. I bought a new double mini bus seat which has its own steel frame base and built in seatbelts, this is then bolted through the floor to the chassis.
There are even guidelines on a DVLA webpage showing the size of bolts and spreader plates.
I had the V5 changed to show four travel seats then had the MOT done at my usual garage, I even explained what I had done and after a bit of checking on the DVLA website they passed it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back