Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Hi guys
After some complaints from the wife about how cold it gets sitting at the dinette when driving in winter decided on ways to keep the old girl comfortable:RollEyes:
I am perfectly warm with the normal cab heater but it's an A class so a large area needs warming up,
so the question is would an extra heater fitted in the rear be beneficial ? I was looking at fitting one of these,
Broken Link Removed
I am quite capable of fitting it myself but don't want to spend the money and time if the heat they provide is marginal,
Thanks in anticipation

Ivor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do you have a webasco/Eberspacher wet central heating already fitted ?

that is just a fan unit and needs a hot water supply.

I suppose it could be plumbed into the dash heater matrix supply pipes but would of course be useless without the engine running

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivorantony
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
No I have the normal truma fitted that can be run while moving but would prefer to use the hot water provided by the engine ( free heat! Well sort of)
Wanted to know if they were any good or just buy the wife some thermals:ROFLMAO:

Ivor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It's only a heat exchanger - doesn't generate heat itself. Just wanted to make sure you'd spotted that. If you've got to have your wet heating system running to heat it - the living area is probably going to be warm anyway?

Run an outlet from the cab air ducting to somewhere close to where she sits.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
That looks similar to the unit fitted in our MH as standard. If it is the same then I can recommend it - on the lowest fan setting, it can heat the whole interior :thumb:

OP
OP
ivorantony
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
It's only a heat exchanger - doesn't generate heat itself. Just wanted to make sure you'd spotted that. If you've got to have your wet heating system running to heat it - the living area is probably going to be warm anyway?

Run an outlet from the cab air ducting to somewhere close to where she sits.

Yes I know I would need to run some water pipe from the the van heater matrix that's not a problem, I could T into the existing heater trunking to provide some warm air but the pipe diameter is about 5 inches so would be hard to put through to the back,
Were as two 13mm metal pipes should be easier to feed through hopefully,

Thanks
Ivor

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've got a rear heat exchanger running from the engine and when it works its good but the air locks it gets are all bugger to sort. But others seem to get on ok with them. Good luck! :Smile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had a heat exchanger with electric fan fitted as standard in our previous van - a Rapido. It worked a treat, but suspect it was a smaller space than you need to heat in your A class.

Current van has blown air heating that runs off diesel and can be used en route when travelling. Surprisingly, doesn't seem to use much fuel either, but kicks out plenty of warmth.

Mike

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi, I don't know if this idea is any use that someone recommended to me as I don't know your exact layout. We fitted a thermal curtain floor to ceiling to separate the front cab seating area from the rest of the habitation area. As you say there's a lot of area to try to warm up and this solved our problem. The normal cab heaters have no problem heating the front area now. This also comes in handy when pitched up, in that the habitation heater is not then trying to warm the cab with all the glass, even with thermal screens fitted, this curtain makes a huge difference.:thumb:

OP
OP
ivorantony
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
Hi, I don't know if this idea is any use that someone recommended to me as I don't know your exact layout. We fitted a thermal curtain floor to ceiling to separate the front cab seating area from the rest of the habitation area. As you say there's a lot of area to try to warm up and this solved our problem. The normal cab heaters have no problem heating the front area now. This also comes in handy when pitched up, in that the habitation heater is not then trying to warm the cab with all the glass, even with thermal screens fitted, this curtain makes a huge difference.:thumb:

Thanks for that but SWMBO would be a bit miffed if I put up a curtain between us:thumb: even though I can see the advantages! Less backseat driving for starters:ROFLMAO:
but seriously it's a good idea and I may be able to implement it by dropping the curtain from the rear of the overhead bed but will still fit a rear heater to keep it nice and cosy,
Thanks
Ivor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back