External top mounted lights (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was checking over the MH (2006 Starfire) ready for it's MOT this week and noticed that I couldn't get the lights on the roof (forward facing white and rear facing red) to come on. Any idea if these come on with sidelights? headlights?. And which circuit they may be on (fuse?).

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They should come on with the sidelights. Is there any sign of damp inside them? Sometimes this can happen and the terminals get coroded.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Will this be an MOT fail if they don't come on (other sidelights are ok)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I had a similar problem with our previous Rapido and was told if the lights are fitted they have to work and if they don't it's a fail. In my case it was as previously suggested - corroded terminals. A bit of emery cloth sorted that out.
However if all the lights have gone off, front and back that sounds less likely as a cause.
Could it be a fuse?
And not to forget the obvious - have you checked the bulbs?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
If they are anything like the ones on our old Auto-sleeper then they are not very waterproof and although ours worked fine, When we first got it had to pop the lens off and clean the alge out(y) so have look see, never know maybe both bulbs have gone(y)

Oops just noticed:tmi: all four so less likey to be bulbs

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All you need for an MoT test are exactly the same lights as your car, any "Extra" lights fitted do not form part of an MoT test
Any testers quoting if they are fitted they must work, need re training
That comment is not, and has never been a valid comment, the testable items are clearly defined in the manual, an obvious example is rear Fog lights, Many vehicles have 2 fitted, but only the offside needs to work for a pass
G

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just spoken to the MOT place who say that if they are fitted they must work. If there is a part of the regs that say otherwise (or confirm that view) I would be interested to know what it is so I can quote it. Hopefully I can get the lights working by Wednesday anyway, but itwould be nice to be fore-armed, just in case.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've just spoken to the MOT place who say that if they are fitted they must work. If there is a part of the regs that say otherwise (or confirm that view) I would be interested to know what it is so I can quote it. Hopefully I can get the lights working by Wednesday anyway, but itwould be nice to be fore-armed, just in case.

Geo is absolutely correct.. as he usually is..

You can find the lighting regulations here

SCHEDULE 2
PART IRequirements relating to obligatory front position lamps and to optional front position lamps to the extent specified in part ii
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just spoken to VOSA and they confirm that a motorhome is classed as a Class 4 vehicle and marker lights are not part of the test. A Class 5 vehicle (more than 13 seats) will be subject to having the marker lights tested.
To quote a Vosa document valid from Jan 2012:

"Section 1.1 – Front and Rear Position lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
A new aspect to these checks, but one which does not really add to the test time, is to check
that the front and rear position lamps (including end outline marker lamps for Class 5) and the
registration plate lamp illuminate with a single operation of the switch."

I'll still try to get them working though.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Some of mine have not worked for some time and each time it goes for a MOT they tell me they are not working but add they are not part of the test. Some testers are better than others, Geo knows what he's talking about and is a great asset to have on Fun.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo is absolutely correct.. as he usually is..

You can find the lighting regulations here

SCHEDULE 2
PART I Requirements relating to obligatory front position lamps and to optional front position lamps to the extent specified in part ii
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
Thank you Jim and Keith for those kind comments.
I do strive to quote with absolute certainty, when talking MoT, it dont look good if I get it wrong
However those regs you refer to belong more to Mr Plod than the MoT test, the manual (Our Bible) can be viewed by anyone, its the interpretation that requires the Skill along with some insight to DVLSA (VOSA,s) mind set and a strict control over ones personal opinion and heresay
Here is a LINK to the definitive Official DVLSA updated copy of our book, I often see references to others, they should be avoided if at all possible

Never be afraid to ask to see the relevant section that you are being failed on it is your right.
DVLSA have made provision for us testers to print out any page or section of the manual for our Customers to see on demand, A tester who wont cooperate is an unsure tester, even more reason to see the written word
Geo

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
All you need for an MoT test are exactly the same lights as your car, any "Extra" lights fitted do not form part of an MoT test
Any testers quoting if they are fitted they must work, need re training
That comment is not, and has never been a valid comment, the testable items are clearly defined in the manual, an obvious example is rear Fog lights, Many vehicles have 2 fitted, but only the offside needs to work for a pass
G
Looks like the person who told me they had to work had an agenda. Like charging me good money for rubbing a bit of corrosion off with a bit of emery cloth. I won't need another MOT on the van for another 2 and a bit years

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the comments. I shall remind the workshop on Wednesday about what is not required to be tested. I've got the lights working now, mainly bad earth connections and one blown bulb, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back