External temp sensor again ! (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
My control panel in my Hymer is showing 60+? On the external temperature read out. I have located the sensor underneath the step and tried the ice cube test but it does not move the read out at all.

my question is, I am assuming the sensor is at fault, so is it possible to cut off the end of the sensor and join a new sensor to the original wiring? This would alleviate trying to reroute the cable all the way back to the control panel. I am aware that I could simply open the door and stick my hand out! But I’m one that if something is supposed to work, I like it to!

any help appreciated . Thanks

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Might be worth checking the sensor plug on the rear of the dt panel is plugged in ok first.
I am not sure if the sensor is a thermistor or another type of sensor. Connecting up a , say, 4k resistor across the terminals on dt panel might give a readout and then work out the value of thermistor required ( if indeed it is a thermistor )

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Do you know which is the right plug? I can’t find a wiring diagram for the control panel anywhere!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it is a thermistor, if you can establish it is the thermistor that's the problem you could probably esstablih what value you need buy connecting a pot across it, I would try 10k as that's a common value on thermistors for temrature sensing.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Dt201 its connector x7, i think its the only 2 pin connector. Go to Resources on blue banner at top of page, then motorhome manuals, page 3, and you can download the dt 201 manual, page 22 has the layout of connectors on it.
As Lenny says a potentiometer would make it easier to work out, start at high resistance first.
If its not a dt201 then need toget msnual from schaudt german website.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
On the dt203 panel its connector x7.
Thats the only 2 pin connector on the panel.

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi thanks
I've located the 2 pin plug on the rear of the panel. I disconnected 240v, then switched off 12 v. pulled off the plug, then switched 12v back on. Its still showing 60+?

Am I to assume that this indicates a fault with the panel maybe? If so, I think I’ll open the door and put my hand out instead. Seems like a lot of trouble just to try and get it sorted! Thanks for your assistance.

just as a footnote, I did download the wiring diagram from the Schaudt website, which was all in German, but when I downloaded it, it was then in English! Not sure if anyone knew this, took me by surprise.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Snip the thermistor bead off, put a potentiometer on the wires leading to the panel and set the potentiometer so the panel reads 25°c. Then remove the potentiometer and measure it's resistance.. That is what value thermistor you need to order. They are all usually based on the 25°c resistance 👌

You can join the wires no problem, I'd solder and heatshrink them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Try putting a meter set to ohms across the plug that goes to the underfloor sensor.
If it is open circuit then follow Richard and Annes post above, same as lenny in post 4.
If you solve this I suspect there are a few hyner owners who will copy you!

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi thanks
I've located the 2 pin plug on the rear of the panel. I disconnected 240v, then switched off 12 v. pulled off the plug, then switched 12v back on. Its still showing 60+?

Am I to assume that this indicates a fault with the panel maybe? If so, I think I’ll open the door and put my hand out instead. Seems like a lot of trouble just to try and get it sorted! Thanks for your assistance.

just as a footnote, I did download the wiring diagram from the Schaudt website, which was all in German, but when I downloaded it, it was then in English! Not sure if anyone knew this, took me by surprise.
The reading of 60 is probably the max reading based on maximum resistance from the sensor.
My guess would be that the sensor has gone open circuit.
So play around with resistors, pots or other thermistor sensors and see what you find.
The sensor almost certainly is not a Hymer part and will be produced by the people supplying the electronic hardware.
Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back