External mastic sealant clean up (2 Viewers)

PilgrimPhil

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
We have a lot of exposed white mastic sealant that tends to get grimy over time, especially as we have to park under trees at home.

Is there a specific product that I can use to make it pristine again without compromising the integrity of the seal?

The most obvious part on the Knaus Sun Ti is to either side of the sunroof.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

PilgrimPhil

Gordon McDonald

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
C-Class
Exp
Far too long to remember
PilgrimPhil

I used "sticky stuff remover". Got it from a little traditional chandlers shop in Whittlesey, Cambs., but I've seen similar in all the big DIY stores.

Brought the mastic off a treat, and didn't discolour the paintwork on my Ford/Winnebago dayvan.

Good Luck

Gord

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Strangely enough last week I decided to have a go at the sealant round some lockers in the aft cockpit on my boat and used 1001 Carpet Cleaner.

Came up a treat!:thumb:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'd be tempted to try one of the various Cillit Bang sprays, all of which are easily available in any Supermarket.

Only reason i suggest this is after having a nice new double size shower fitted in my bathroom a couple of years ago, i tried everything imaginable to keep the large clear glass door panels clean.

Nothing seemed to work. Then this Cillit Bang stuff came out on the market and i thought 'what the heck, i'll give it a go'. Meantime i'd collected a fair amount of various cleaner sprays, all half used, all totally useless and i have to admit thinking i was about to add yet another bottle of useless cleaner to the collection!

But not only does it work.....it's damn good!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I may have missunderstood but i thought the original questions was for removal of the residue of the mastic that has been used to seal the frames etc. and if this is correct then my concern would be in using any types of remover does it damage the rest of the mastic.

My concern would be if i were only trying to remove the residue, and the remover has the power to degrade the residue sufficiently for it to be removed how could you stop it degrading the mastic that is providing the seal,

I personally would just try to keep it as clean as possible

hope that helps

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I may have missunderstood but i thought the original questions was for removal of the residue of the mastic that has been used to seal the frames etc. and if this is correct then my concern would be in using any types of remover does it damage the rest of the mastic.
If mastic is so far gone that simply cleaning it ends up removing pieces of it as well, then the mastic is totally shot and the whole lot may as well be replaced. Not a difficult job and not necessarily expensive either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

PilgrimPhil

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
My question was what product to use to "clean" the actual bead of mastic rather than remove any excess.

The front of the overcab moulding is white and the mastic is currently a greeny algae type colour that doesn't look very pretty!

I am just concerned about not breaking down the actual mastic.

I will try some of the suggestions on unseen parts to see how effective they are.

Thanks for your help.

PilgrimPhil

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I'd be tempted to try one of the various Cillit Bang sprays, all of which are easily available in any Supermarket.

Only reason i suggest this is after having a nice new double size shower fitted in my bathroom a couple of years ago, i tried everything imaginable to keep the large clear glass door panels clean.

Nothing seemed to work. Then this Cillit Bang stuff came out on the market and i thought 'what the heck, i'll give it a go'. Meantime i'd collected a fair amount of various cleaner sprays, all half used, all totally useless and i have to admit thinking i was about to add yet another bottle of useless cleaner to the collection!

But not only does it work.....it's damn good!

Shouldn't that be :shout: CILLIT BANG!!:shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back