LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would like to fit an external gas point to use a Cadac Safari.

Is it as simple as cutting the gas pipe from the bottle and putting a T in for the supply and taking that to the external point on the MoHo?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes basically.

Make sure you cut in after the regulator though.

The vans gas pipe will more than likely be 10mm and the external point will probably be 8mm. A 10mm/8mm equal tee is not a stock item at many merchants so I'd suggest getting one before you do anything. If it turns out you don't need it it's only about 4 quid.

Put the external point in the van skirt if at all possible then you don't have to worry about cutting holes in the van itself.

About an hours work if you take your time.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Put the external point in the van skirt if at all possible then you don't have to worry about cutting holes in the van itself.

Maybe it's overkill but I'd be inclined to fit a stop tap in the new pipe to the outside point, close to the take-off point at the 'T' piece in case the outlet in the skirt was damaged by contact with anything whilst moving, (e.g. road debris kicking up underneath, high kerb, levelling blocks etc.).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Maybe it's overkill but I'd be inclined to fit a stop tap in the new pipe to the outside point, close to the take-off point at the 'T' piece in case the outlet in the skirt was damaged by contact with anything whilst moving, (e.g. road debris kicking up underneath, high kerb, levelling blocks etc.).

Funnily I was thinking the same thing as a gas tap is only a couple of quid at the merchants.

Also the input for the external point is a compression fitting so a bit of microbore and a tap is easy fit.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks @NickNic
As we have a gas low system i presume the external point will be ok when refilling t the petrol station.
I have been looking at the Bullfinch points like this one.

http://bullfinch-gas.co.uk/outdoor-utility-points/gas-point-detail

I too have a Gaslow system. Although the Bullfinch external outlet is said to be 'self-sealing' when no connector (to a BBQ etc) is fitted, I would be inclined to turn off the stop tap to the BBQ outlet when not in use.

The Gaslow filler cylinders have a non-return valve built in to the top of the Gaslow cylinder so any damage between the external filler point and the bottle itself will not allow gas to escape from the cylinder.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you disconnect your regulator from the copper tube and fit one of these (you might have to cut the pipe down to get it to fit/move the regulator) you can then just connect the pipe and external BBQ point to it, built in tap and just blank off the other one (I can't find a single tap version!).

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/gas-manifold-8mm-2-way-369-p.asp

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I got lucky. We have a manifold in a cupboard right behind where I wanted the outlet and it had a blanked off outlet so one tap, one bullfinch and little pipe and it's a first class fit.

That bullfinch is excellent.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The Gaslow filler cylinders have a non-return valve built in to the top of the Gaslow cylinder so any damage between the external filler point and the bottle itself will not allow gas to escape from the cylinder.

I have to admit I haven't looked to hard at where and how the pipe work runs.
Which is unusual for me I tend to "investigate" things so I know how it works incase I have issue at some point.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I got lucky. We have a manifold in a cupboard right behind where I wanted the outlet and it had a blanked off outlet so one tap, one bullfinch and little pipe and it's a first class fit.

That bullfinch is excellent.

Ill have a look at our manifold, I cant remember if there is a spare outlet.
Having said that it might be a pain getting the pipe to the external point :rolleyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having said that it might be a pain getting the pipe to the external point :rolleyes:

I just got lucky. No problem with a T and a tap, shorter the pipe the less likely to ever get damaged.

A safety consideration, assume your BBQ goes up in flames big time, will you be able to get to any tap to turn off the gas ? Gas locker is on opposite side to BBQ point on ours.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I just got lucky. No problem with a T and a tap, shorter the pipe the less likely to ever get damaged.

A safety consideration, assume your BBQ goes up in flames big time, will you be able to get to any tap to turn off the gas ? Gas locker is on opposite side to BBQ point on ours.

If the worst happened just fold the pipe in half like we used to do with oxy-accetolene :D

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
IMG_3147.JPG Bit of a dummies question now.
Is the regulator part of the auto change over as picture.
If so I'll be able to t into the vertical pipe.

Next problem is where to fit the Bullfinch as I'm struggling fo a flat surface unless I run it along the chassis.
Why is nothing straight forward

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
IMG_3148.JPG
This looks like the best place along the skirt line.
The other side of the door is the sliding locker.

Does anyone know what the solid pipe material is?
Looks a bit like kneaufer (spl) same as used for brake pipes.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Should have just pulled the plastic cover off the auto change over as I found the regulator (y)

Just looked and brake pipe is called kunifer

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It seems a bit bigger than Kunifer brake pipe.
A bullfinch BBQ outlet self seals, so no problem.
Mitch.

Yeah I know brake pipe tends to be imperial.
I don't seem to be able to find "plated" pipe have been looking on eBay.
I know I can use microbore but I would prefer something a bit stiffer as it will be partly on the outside of the MoHo.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mine teed into the fridge feed which is visible in the cupboard below and is isolated by the same tap as the fridge now i used an 8mm compression tee and one elbow with 8mm copper the original pipe was nsteel but the olives did seal on it

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Don't forget to tell your insurers of this modification, otherwise they may not cover you in the event of a fire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back