External electric coolbox. (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have acquired (for peanuts) a coolbox with integrated cooler that runs 240 or 12v.
It will be a drinks cooler mainly to leave fridge space for food.

How would you power it?

Hook up cable splitter?
External 12v waterproof socket?
External 240v waterproof socket?

Am I right in assuming that running it on 12volt (without being on hook up) would quickly drain my leisure battery?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Somewhere it should have labelling showing a power rating. That might give you a clue as to how power hungry it might be and thus how quick it might be to kill you battery. It may be able to switch between 12 and 240v but chances are the system is set to run on one, and the other voltage means there is an inbuilt inverter with a bit of inefficiency in the conversion.

The other issue with these cooboxes is whether there is any thermostatic control or it it is on unti you pull the plug. That means it could run longer than you need it too. I have a Halfords coolbox a solid state thingy (the reviews said for the price it was one of the better ones at cooling), 12V and 40W input (you can get a 230 V adaptor thing that has the car cigarette lighter attachment), and that is quite capable of freezing stuff when you leave it running too many hours.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have acquired (for peanuts) a coolbox with integrated cooler that runs 240 or 12v.

How would you power it?

Hook up cable splitter?

Am I right in assuming that running it on 12volt (without being on hook up) would quickly drain my leisure battery?
What sort of cooler is it? If it's a compressor fridge type it will be pretty efficient. If it is one of the cheap solid state ones they are generally not very good when it gets hot and will run continually. You can tell the difference by weight, a compressor coolbox will be heavy.

Just give it a try. :) We have a compressor coolbox as our fridge is small and it makes a great booze cooler. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
40watts in 12v mode.
54watts in 240v mode.

Separate power leads but plug in right next to each other on top of box. Flick switch between 12/240.
Can also flick a switch to warm instead of cool.

Knowing that your guidance is.....?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a solid state cooler for beer. Works well but draws a pretty steady 3.5A. I have lots of solar and turn it off at night as its not silent and lives under the bed. Swmbo is not keen on more than minimal beer in the fridge, space needed for her wine.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
40watts in 12v mode.
54watts in 240v mode.

Separate power leads but plug in right next to each other on top of box. Flick switch between 12/240.
Can also flick a switch to warm instead of cool.

Knowing that your guidance is.....?
Having slept I've remembered what the name is of how solid state coolers work - it's based on the Peltier effect. It's one of these you have as connected up one way they cool but reversing the polarity generates heat.

They certainly work but in my experience they run continually so that will be a steady load of over three amps which is around 80Ah a day.

You can reduce the drain, if it only contains booze by turning it off at night but you will need plenty of sun and solar to run it during the day.

But give it a try, nothing to lose but keep a close eye on the batteries. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having slept I've remembered what the name is of how solid state coolers work - it's based on the Peltier effect. It's one of these you have as connected up one way they cool but reversing the polarity generates heat.

They certainly work but in my experience they run continually so that will be a steady load of over three amps which is around 80Ah a day.

You can reduce the drain, if it only contains booze by turning it off at night but you will need plenty of sun and solar to run it during the day.

But give it a try, nothing to lose but keep a close eye on the batteries. :)
I like the idea that I am using some of the surplus solar power to some purpose. A sunny day in France or Spain will give me between 15 and 23a and batteries fully recharged before 10am, so otherwise energy going to waste. My fridge isn't designed to work off solar unfortunately.
Its the hot sunny days you need the cold beer.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
We have used one for years, only on mains or a ignition controlled socket in a vehicle. Works well for drinks and milk etc, saves keep going into the camper. Be careful with the cigarette lighter plug/socket, they can get hot if not fully connected

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have a 3 way camping fridge. I made a splitter lead and have a camping power output in the awning. The fridge will run on gas but as we normallystay on sites we don't need to, I have a spare gas regulator and could run it off the emergency gas bottle.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

How would you power it?

Hook up cable splitter?

I would imagine this coolbox to be drawing approximately 3.5-4.0 amps so running it for about 12hours would take a 100amp battery down to about 50%, not really a good thing you would need some long sunny days and at least 100watt solar panel tokeep your battery topped up to an acceptable level.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi. I am not expecting miracles for such a simple coolbox and will most likely only use on hook up, but thanks for advice.
Will probably install a marine waterproof 12V socket on side on MH to avoid trailing cables as my onboard controller provides all 12V to sockets on hook up.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have a Mobicool one. which i believe is owned by dometic. have to say its better than my crappy dometic fridge. certainly keeps the wine and beer cool

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Do you stand your fridge outside? If so how do you protect it from the rain?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Bought a cheap one in Aldi last week.
Surprised how well it works. Filled it with beer, wine etc. & ran it on mains overnight, it was down to 3° in the morning.
Ran off 12v/solar no problem while we were away for a weekend.
DP

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I like the idea that I am using some of the surplus solar power to some purpose. A sunny day in France or Spain will give me between 15 and 23a and batteries fully recharged before 10am, so otherwise energy going to waste. My fridge isn't designed to work off solar unfortunately.
Its the hot sunny days you need the cold beer.

It may not work DIRECTLY off the solar, but as long as you have a 12v storage battery in between it should work fine, then just a matter of working out the charge rate (relative to hours sunshine ?) and the average draw of the cooler, good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back