External BBQ point.......How much!!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what I have just been quoted to fit a bbq point to my van? I supply the Bullfinch, so the job is the hole cutting, pipework, labour. I'll give you a clue, it's a main dealer.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Far too much I expect, I've fitted two of them now as it's a relatively easy job to do. Takes less than hour to complete.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what I have just been quoted to fit a bbq point to my van? I supply the Bullfinch, so the job is the hole cutting, pipework, labour. I'll give you a clue, it's a main dealer.
I don’t know how much you have been quoted, but a kind Funster fitted mine and it cost me a good bottle of Scotch.(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had one supplied and fitted by Mark of Central Leisure who lives in Nuneaton I think. It was certainly less than £200 although a few years ago.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
So a compression 'T', a bit of sheathed pipe, tap if you are lucky, couple of pipe support clips and labour.
Come on @tony_g put us out of our misery!

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I don’t know how much you have been quoted, but a kind Funster fitted mine and it cost me a good bottle of Scotch.(y)
I've had one fitted to each of my two previous vans but this one is brand new and I'm anxious to avoid issues concerning the bodywork integrity warranty. Also, it's going in soon for the turbo clip recall so I thought I would ask. On previous occasions the job has cost very little, done by Funster @Ash. This time.....£400. I don't think so!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depends on how it is piped.. It should be to the gas manifold, with it's own isolating valve..

Labour 2 hours at £95 =. £190

+ materials not supplied set. £50

£240

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
£760 ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Far too much I expect, I've fitted two of them now as it's a relatively easy job to do. Takes less than hour to complete.

Pete

Wish that had been the case with mine.
I had to work around external skidding lockers for mine.
Took the best part of 3 hours :rolleyes:

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Other than time, the only other materials required are..........

Length of Faro type poly pipe... FARO_fi8mm_Poly_Pipe_1_meter__73195.1449248980.1280.1280.jpg

8mm BRASS T COMPRESSION SPLITTER JOIN LPG GAS FUEL PIPE FITTING OLIVES ..s-l1600.jpg

Both items costing less than a tenner.

Pete

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have one that's factory fit but the engineering dept at the dealer we use charge £75 an hour - OK not main dealers but reasonable but any mobile Approved service engineer with GasSafe would be cheaper and do it on your drive too

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
whoever undertakes the work, ensure they fit an isolating valve you can reach easily, ideally on the gas manifold and it shouldn't just be Tee'd off an existing fridge supply or run in rubber hose.. Ask these questions before agreeing for the job to be done..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
whoever undertakes the work, ensure they fit an isolating valve you can reach easily, ideally on the gas manifold and it shouldn't just be Tee'd off an existing fridge supply or run in rubber hose.. Ask these questions before agreeing for the job to be done..
I agree about the rubber hose but whether it's teed or not isn't important. Separate valves for each appliance is for convenience, not safety. They're there so that other appliances can be used whilst the affected one can be turned off. So if it was teed into the fridge, and needed to be turned off, the fridge would be off as well. TBH in an emergency I wouldn't be on my knees fishing in a cupboard. I'd turn the cylinder off and only then decide whether I could isolate the fault using the individual appliance valves.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Just to clarify, FARO poly pipe is NOT a rubber hose, its a high pressure autogas pipe, which has super high-quality OEM specification made by Faro of Italy, the 8mm LPG thermoplastic pipe is designed for carrying liquid or vapour LPG to or from an autogas tank.

Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree about the rubber hose but whether it's teed or not isn't important. Separate valves for each appliance is for convenience, not safety. They're there so that other appliances can be used whilst the affected one can be turned off. So if it was teed into the fridge, and needed to be turned off, the fridge would be off as well. TBH in an emergency I wouldn't be on my knees fishing in a cupboard. I'd turn the cylinder off and only then decide whether I could isolate the fault using the individual appliance valves.

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state

(6) No person shall install a gas appliance without there being at the inlet to it means of shutting off the supply of gas to the appliance unless the provision of such means is not reasonably practicable.

An isolation valve is for safety, not convenience . In the event of the BBQ hose rupturing or leaking and catching fire you need to isolate fast .. unplugging the hose may not be possible without getting burned..

You can argue that the bottle valve fulfils this requirement.. or that if it's fed from another appliance supply, such as the fridge which has an isolator that is ok, I prefer installing with it's own isolation valve on the manifold, in the bottom of a cupboard would be of little use.. Also, when not in use the BBQ point should be isolated..

.. so lets just agree to disagree.

@Tykat

Don't know the Gas Safety regulations or guidance for using Faro poly pipe in a caravan, so can't comment ..

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
And all that for gas cooked food

Better using the hob inside

There's only one way to bbq and that's with charcoal or lumpwood
Any other way is just wrong

In my humble opinion of course :p
Well, you'd probably be right, of course but increasingly campsites across Europe, especially southern, are banning the use of charcoal barbecues, as a fire risk. And not everybody wants to cook inside in hot weather....especially grilling oily fish.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state

(6) No person shall install a gas appliance without there being at the inlet to it means of shutting off the supply of gas to the appliance unless the provision of such means is not reasonably practicable.

An isolation valve is for safety, not convenience . In the event of the BBQ hose rupturing or leaking and catching fire you need to isolate fast .. unplugging the hose may not be possible without getting burned..

You can argue that the bottle valve fulfils this requirement.. or that if it's fed from another appliance supply, such as the fridge which has an isolator that is ok, I prefer installing with it's own isolation valve on the manifold, in the bottom of a cupboard would be of little use.. Also, when not in use the BBQ point should be isolated..

.. so lets just agree to disagree.

@Tykat

Don't know the Gas Safety regulations or guidance for using Faro poly pipe in a caravan, so can't comment ..
I'd still argue that the intention of the Regs you quote is that an appliance can be isolated for service or replacement - especially since (for example) one of the most popular devices for isolating a domestic gas fire requires screwdriver removal of a chromed cap and a screwdriver to close off the gas (as it leaked from the isolation device).

The bottle would still be the go-to shut off device in an emergency because it is always easier to access. I wasn't suggesting the isolation valve should be in the bottom of a cupboard - I was suggesting that the best place to mount it is on the manifold . Which very often is low down inside a cupboard.

But we can agree to disagree (y)(y).

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well, you'd probably be right, of course but increasingly campsites across Europe, especially southern, are banning the use of charcoal barbecues, as a fire risk. And not everybody wants to cook inside in hot weather....especially grilling oily fish.
Aye I guess ...another benefit of wilding I guess ....if you find a deserted spot ...which can be hard over here lol.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wasn't suggesting the isolation valve should be in the bottom of a cupboard - I was suggesting that the best place to mount it is on the manifold . Which very often is low down inside a cupboard.

understood.. I was thinking on my van where the manifold is very accessible , just in front of the sink, in full view when you pull out the cutlery drawer.. .(you can see it in the photo) .. if it was hidden away then it would be of little good ..

@Northernraider as for suggesting gas could never be the same or as good as charcoal, I was also a non believer.. until I bought a Weber Q ..

the taste comes from the smoke of the burning juices and fat.. not the charcoal.. would never go back to using charcoal again. ..
I use my Weber twice or sometimes three times a day.. couldn't be arsed doing that would lumpwood or a charcoal barbie.

I use a big Weber kettle at home for smoking brisket .. but that's a different kettle of fish..

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Aye I guess ...another benefit of wilding I guess ....if you find a deserted spot ...which can be hard over here lol.
Well, not really....surely fire awareness applies even more in a 'wild' setting. The ban in France, for example, is not specific to campsites, it is a legal requirement in the dry season, everywhere. I well remember a gendarme turning up when I had the charcoal going underneath some sausages on a stony beach on the shore of Lac de Verdon....5 paces away from however many million litres of water were in the lake and nothing within sight which was combustible! He would not be persuaded otherwise and waited while I poured water on the charcoal. The French have smoke spotters on patrol, such is the dire risk of catastrophic fires. The same applies in Spain, I am sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back