Extended Warranty (1 Viewer)

would you pay for an extra 3 years warranty

• I would pay £1,085 for an extra 3 years peace of mind

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • You must be joking, it's a new Hymer - what could possibly go wrong?

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
After the view of the collective here please...

We get the new van (Hymer) next week, from Travelworld in The West Midlands.

I gather the base vehicle (Fiat) and habitation part each come with a 2 year warranty - plus a 10 year water ingress warranty.

The vehicle is fitted with the 180 bhp Euro 6 engine, with the comfortmatic gearbox.

The habitation bit is pretty standard Hymer/Dometic/Thetford stuff. It does however have Goldschmitt self levellers, Gaslow, and solar.

I've been offered an extended warranty to take the warranty to 5 years, at a cost of £1,085. It's Travelworlds own warranty and I couldn't get the price down. There are no limits on the individual claim, nor any limits to the number of claims you can make (even for the same problem)

Normally I run away from such things but with the relatively new engine, comfortmatic box, and other bits that could be expensive if they go wrong, I am tempted.

It will of course mean tying in to additional costs for main dealer servicing of the van, plus annual hab service (as opposed to damp check needed for the 10 year Hymer warranty) the true cost will be more than the £1,085.

What's the view of the Collective, would you pay for the warranty or run the gauntlet and trust that nothing will go wrong (that will cost more than £1k) ?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Full cover with no limits on base vehicle, conversion and extras for only £362 per year for years three to five sounds almost too good to be true and therefore I would want to see the full policy wording before putting my money on the countertop.

I might be wrong as I have no experience of Travelworld but I would be surprised if there isn't a fair wear and tear exception and maybe even a betterment clause somewhere in there.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have just took out the fiat 5 year extended warranty we took out the 10.000 miles per year one.

Be aware you only have 14 days from the day the dealer registered it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have just taken extra 3 years with Fiat so 5 years total £730. that is Fiat only. The Hymer bit is 6 years water ingress must have a water ingress every year, but I will not bother with the habitation check as I can do that myself.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks for thoughts so far..

@cornish boy - good idea to look at the wording, I've asked for it to be emailed to me - thanks for the pointer.

@Zepp - you've hit the nail on the head. Ideally I'd like to see how year one went to decide if it was worth it, but they don't give you that option!

@SteveandDenise given the cost of the Fiat bit, the price doesn't look so bad to cover all the other bits.

If there is anything in the wording that's worth reporting I'll add it to this post

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is that for a total of five years from the registration date? if so then might be worth it to pay for the comformatic repairs, does it have a breakdown cover include for on the road as well? £330 per year is similar to getting separate breakdown insurance and then having to pay for the actual repair on top. All depends on how flush YOU feel at the time, they are looking to make a profit on the commission they get for it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ours @ £730 has roadside recovery, hopefully we won't need it, green flag would cost around £300 for 3 years so realistically £430 for 3 years Fiat warranty.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
All I would say is the same as others.

Dig deep into the small print.
Also is it an outside company offering the warranty as an insurance cover.
If it in house and the company goes t**s up your warranty will go with them.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just got caught out, bought a wheels and a bodywork warranty when I bought my new car about 18 months ago, have claimed once for a wheel that got scratched and repaired went to give the warranty to the chap I sold the car to and it seems it is non transferrable?
No worries I thought will cash in the remaining 18 months about £450 I thought,, sorry no rebate..
Should have read the small print as I normally swop motors every year or so but would have not bought this had I known.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Agree Graham @GWAYGWAY , it's the gearbox that's slightly nagging at the back of my mind. The warranty starts on expiry of manufacturers warranty so it's really 3 years starting after 2 years.

@StitchesnFluff its a BDL 534 Baby Duo

@SteveandDenise you make a good point. My insurance covers recovery too so I might be able to make a saving there going forward

@Silver-Fox I'vet now got the wording through which I'm looking at. It's underwritten by Ageas so there should be no worries there as they are a massive firm plus there's the Financial Conduct Authority protections behind it in the event of Ageas failing

Decisions Decisions!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it didn't have the 10 year water ingress warranty I'd have said go for it, based on previous experience with a non-Hymer vehicle. Our extended warranty more than paid for itself when the water came in.

We haven't gone for extended on our new vehicle (not automatic gearbox) - we didn't have any major long term bother with the Fiat base on the last one in over a decade so we're going with the manufacturer warranty only. All a bit of a gamble I know.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I really think the yearly Hymer body check is a real rip off as the alloy skin and plastic inner face do not really tell you if anything has got inside the layers, I can check my damp reading myself and if it there I will know..However there seems to be a MAGIC spray that is applied to the underbody???? Heavens knows what that is, as the underbody is GRP and pretty well sealed from the out side, I smell a ripoff as the cost of the inspection goes up every year and is about £140 this year so calculate the ten year cost , going up a tenner per year and there is a LOT on my money going into THEIR pockets. I can at the moment do everything required on my van, but it is slowly going, along with me , but as I will not be here in ten years time I do not worry about the van then. I also HAVE to drive a long way to get it done and if it was it would probably be done at my NEAREST dealer at Kortrijk in Belgium only 60 miles away over some water.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Is it an Autoguard warranty (insurance) underwritten by Ageas?
No, seems to be MB&G underwritten by Ageas. Looks to me as if MB &G are the guys who do the administration etc .

Still undecided!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Also factor in the cost of travelling down to the Midlands to get any work done on the hab side of the warranty.
As far as habitation/damp checks are concerned, Travel World tried to insist to us that we needed both, on our year-old Hymer, in order to comply with the Hymer warranty. We begged to differ, and had just the damp check - at an eye-watering cost of £170! The full hab check would have been well over £300. It's been discussed on here many times before, but in effect, the charges for these checks constitute an insurance premium, so your extended warranty will actually cost you well in excess of the £1085. But then, your new van is costing a lot of money, so you my feel the extra insurance is worth it.:cautious:
This year our damp check will take place at Campirama. :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Guaranteed income is the warranty issue, if it goes wrong then they should fix it, not make you pay, to not find it, if it is not there. If you understand what I mean. If the vehicle is not made properly or something was left off then it will show up then.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Guaranteed income is the warranty issue, if it goes wrong then they should fix it, not make you pay, to not find it, if it is not there. If you understand what I mean. If the vehicle is not made properly or something was left off then it will show up then.
See what you mean.

If there's anything that's not made properly or has been left off, I would imagine that'd show up in the first 2 years.

So that would leave problems that don't manifest themselves in the first couple of years, which I'd then face the "wear and tear" argument over.

Going round in circles still in my head...:confused:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another thing to be aware of is UK dealers often tell you 1st damp must be done at the end of 12 months this is incorrect. 1st damp check on a Hymer is required between 12 and 18 months after purchase (note purchase not registration) and then at 12 monthly intervals. This is very covenant as you can get it done at a time of year that suits you

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I don't know if they would deal with a Hymer as mine is an Auto-Trail but it is a Fiat base vehicle. I have an extended warranty with MB & G based in Tyne and Wear, phone 0191 259 6378 / 0191 258 8199. I have the 'Gold' policy with them and have found them very good, with each of my 2 claims being dealt with and processed very quickly. Cost me £399 for another 2 years from May 2017 on my 2012 MoHo. Might be worth a call.
Nothing ventured...etc.
regards
Nik.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Yes @Nik that's the people - good thought that going direct might save some money..yours looks a lot cheaper than the offer via Travelworld.

I'm am currently minded not to take it up...you roll the dice I know, but we are likely to spend between 150 and 180 nights in the MH over the next 2 years if our last 12 months use is anything to go by, and I guess that non Fiat bits going wrong after that will be deemed to be wear and tear. And probably I'd get a similar response on the Fiat bit too :unsure:

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Have just managed to take out the Fiat extended warranty, for 30,000 miles @ £730.
Thanks to Paul ( Zepp) as he was the pioneer at the Fiat garage I went to, so they knew what to do!
Apparently they ( the dealers) have received no information or paperwork about the extended warranty offer.
Also there is confusion about the time limit on taking it out. On the Fiat website it says '12 months', a previous 'Out and about live' article on it says 3 months, but the Fiat people are saying 15 days and that's it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back