Extended touring motorcycle insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Hi all, I was just wondering about insuring the motorcycle if your touring for longer then 90 days, i'm thinking 90 days in Morocco, 90 days in the EU, then back to the UK does anybody have experience of this and any suggestions for companies that might insure me.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I dont think there are any insurers that will give you 90 days for Morroco. I looked when I went a few years back and ended up paying at the border ( 3rd party only). The lad that came with us had BMW insurance and he was covered up to 30 days. If I remember correctly, I could get either 10 or 30 days at the border. You could ask on the UKGSER website, someone may know different.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I did a bike Morocco trip 3 years ago, my insurer was Ageas and issued Green card, my mate was with someone else and had to buy cover on entry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Another point to be mindful of is that many insurers will only insure you if your journey starts and finishes in the UK.

It’s a moot point if the bike’s journey starts/ends in the UK when it’s carried in a MH across the channel.

Ian

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Another point to be mindful of is that many insurers will only insure you if your journey starts and finishes in the UK.

It’s a moot point if the bike’s journey starts/ends in the UK when it’s carried in a MH across the channel.

Ian
My insurance doesn't state it has to be ridden from Uk.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi all, I was just wondering about insuring the motorcycle if your touring for longer then 90 days, i'm thinking 90 days in Morocco, 90 days in the EU, then back to the UK does anybody have experience of this and any suggestions for companies that might insure me.
LV covered our scooter last time for Morocco without any limitations, AFAIR it cost about £20 .

The first time we took it I intended to insure at the border and missed it, ended up insuring it with one of the Allianz offices over there was about 90 euros for 30 days

can't remember who insured it the second time bennets??

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

Ignore the above; the restriction that I refer to relates to Travel Insurance and not vehicle insurance.

Nonetheless, it is an important restriction to be aware of. The image below is from my packaged bank account insurance.

6B2BB0C0-6FF2-4C60-9F8B-D73A551511CE.jpeg

Ian

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
My travel insurance doesnt have that much detail

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My travel insurance doesnt have that much detail

Are you sure? Insurance policy booklets are rarely short of detail (definitions, exclusions, etc.).

It seems to be a little known but important point for the many motorhomers that carry >125cc motorcycles.

Ian

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
There will be companies that provide this cover. Otherwise how do we explain round the world motorcycle trips like for instance The Long Way Round? There are many people that have done this alone. Try Adventure Bike Rider magazine website.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There will be companies that provide this cover. Otherwise how do we explain round the world motorcycle trips like for instance The Long Way Round? There are many people that have done this alone. Try Adventure Bike Rider magazine website.

Are you referring to bikes crossing the channel under their own power or being conveyed by a motorhome?

My post was highlighting a restriction associated with the latter not the former.

There is no issue with the former.

Ian

Edit: I can see that you are probably replying to the OP and not my subsequent post re travel insurance restrictions. 👍

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Ignore the above; the restriction that I refer to relates to Travel Insurance and not vehicle insurance.

Nonetheless, it is an important restriction to be aware of. The image below is from my packaged bank account insurance.

View attachment 465680

Ian
Very few of my motorcycling mates were aware of the 125 restrictions abroad on Travel Insurance until I pointed them out.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Are you sure? Insurance policy booklets are rarely short of detail (definitions, exclusions, etc.).

It seems to be a little known but important point for the many motorhomers that carry >125cc motorcycles.

Ian
Mine was the same but only £20 to make it ok to ride any size bike.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Rory (forestboy) did long trips on his motorcycle if you remember, don't know if he is still around I've not seen him for a while. 🙂 Bob.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Go on the Horizons Unlimited website. You will get great advice as it is setup for overlanders and adventure riders.

My own I insure with MCE Insurance and I get 365 cover in the EU and certain countries, although I have a high excess in the event of a claim. Morroco may be a little different and you may have to purchase 3rd party cover at the point of entry into the country?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back