Ext HARD DRIVE ...Problem..Help (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Finally got around to buying an Externel Hard drive unit- Black Box Thingy...An IOMEGA 500gb. NEW

I have now tried many times to do a Back-up but ALL have failed :cry::cry:

Easy Plug and Play system and the Light blinks + the progression bar show it ALMOST getting to the END of its work.......then that Dreaded message saying that the Back-up has failed ERROR CODE ; 0X8078002A.

It does suggest that I alter settings ????? Not me matey:Blush: Wouldn't know where to start...aaaaand probably Mess up the new Computer [Win 7 Prem]:Eeek::Eeek:
Its only trying to back-up a few gb's...no where near 500 !!
REALLY SIMPLE PLAIN ENGLISH SPEAKING REPLIES WOULD BE VERY HELPFULL:Sad:

PLEEEEEESE FUNSTERS DO TRY NOT TO GO OFF TOPIC ?

Many many hopefull THANKS
David n Liz

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Need more information...what os are you running??

You could try using the windows back up tool to do it..

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Are you trying to back up more than 4gb?
no sure witch way round so check first but its formated in Fat32 and should be ntfs, so try to format in ntfs, do you know how to do it?

This tool always works,

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

Now I am one of those dangerous people a little knowledge but not enough, dosn't the formatting fat32 work on both Mac and Windows, the reason I ask is we are thinking of going to Mac for our next office comps and the sales person led me to believe this was the case?

Or did I totaly miss understand her :RollEyes:

All the best Rick

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just googled the error message.

This thread is answered by microsoft who point you to this KB article.

Not sure if it will help you at all.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I must say I find most backup software I have tried more trouble than its worth. I just copy the directories with the stuff I want a backup copy of , no prob, and you know it's done. Not automatic I agree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Now I am one of those dangerous people a little knowledge but not enough, dosn't the formatting fat32 work on both Mac and Windows, the reason I ask is we are thinking of going to Mac for our next office comps and the sales person led me to believe this was the case?

Or did I totaly miss understand her :RollEyes:

All the best Rick

That is correct Rick .. Mac and Windows can both read FAT32.. I run both Mac and Windows and transfer stuff using an external drive formatted FAT32
Oddly, Windows7 doesn't have the option to format FAT32 in the disc manager .. but there is an easy way to do though using this little program Broken Link Removed
It can also be done using the windows command prompt but if like me that gives you headaches this little program works a treat and it's a lot faster.

I found this out today when I decided to use an external drive with my Denon HiFi, loaded music and the Denon couldn't read because as it was formatted NTFS :Doh:
Re formatted FAT32 using guiformat, loaded music and all is well.. :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Because Macs have a BSD basis you should be able to read NTFS as well surely?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was thinking of the OS/X Based ones only sorry.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Finally got around to buying an Externel Hard drive unit- Black Box Thingy...An IOMEGA 500gb. NEW

Easy Plug and Play system and the Light blinks + the progression bar show it ALMOST getting to the END of its work.......then that Dreaded message saying that the Back-up has failed ERROR CODE ; 0X8078002A.

It does suggest that I alter settings ????? Not me matey:Blush: Wouldn't know where to start...aaaaand probably Mess up the new Computer [Win 7 Prem]:Eeek::Eeek:

David n Liz

How exactly are you trying to do your back up?

1. By using right click on the files then "copy" and then "paste" onto the hard drive... or
2. Right click on the files and using "send to" then clicking the hard drive.. or
3. Using a "back up" application.

Using either of the first two should work and with ease..

Have you tried to just copy a small file, (mp3, photo, document etc) onto the external hard drive and see if that works. If not you could just have got a "duff" hard drive.

Do your files copy ok onto a usb stick such as 4gb or 8gb, this again could point to a duff hard drive.

Make sure the hard drive is ok, before you even think about altering settings, especially if you are unsure of what you are doing.

Remember the hard drive is new and under guarantee and you say your PC is also new so it should work any of the easy way's as above in 1. and 2.....

Callum

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Good choice, but I would of gone for the larger 1TB version

Youre trying to copy system files with the user files and some are locked, or you have not yet updated the computer with service pack 1 for win7

David n Liz

Install the sp1 update and all other updates to bring the system up to date using windows update. When done if you still have the problem try copying just a few files or 1 folder at a time. When you get to the problem files you should see an error message

You wont mess up your computer if you just stick to genuine updates

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we are now on Lion with Mountain Lion due in summer

PPC Macs run OS X through to OS X Leopard 10.5.8

then it's goodnight .. :roflmto:

Jim we are up to Lion now with Mountain Lion due in the summer.

I do a continuous back up every hour or sooner if I hit the backup now button.. I have a 2 tb Western Digital back up drive connected to my MacProBook.. it allows as many versions of the save as you want and over writes as required. Simple reverse system. You can get now 3 tb for under £200... they are called Studio Books and are available for Mac's .. I am running Mac OS 10.7.3 at the moment.

Bob

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
My problem ext/Hard Drive......

MANY THANKS FOR ALL your INPUT/ADVICE ......:winky:

AS THAT MOST FAMOUS EXPLORER SAID ".......I'm going out & I may be gone for quite a while " !?:whatthe::whatthe:

Over the next few days I shall try most of the contributing Funster's ideas + Advice........At least those that can be understood :Eeek:

If there is a positive outcome to this saga I shall post and update.,

IF Not then the little black box thingy might well end up on Fleebay:Angry:

Cheers for all your Help
David & Liz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread