Exsis-i 580 questions (1 Viewer)

markwoody

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW California
Hoping for some advice for a newbie.

Last year bought a VW California and have got a lot use out of it, with wife, 2 very young kids and a dog. Whilst we love it, with us all onboard it does get cramped and are considering an upgrade to a proper motor home. Love the Hymer brand esp the Exsis-i 580. Considering ordering one but have a few questions

1. Both wife and I have class B license so limited to 3.5t- on the Hymer calculator it shows with options there is a weight of 3036kg (which I understand inc. fuel, gas, 75kg driver). Will this leave enough payload for family based on common loads?
2. Any must have options? Any ones to avoid?
3. Based on recent experience am I likely to get any discount?
4. Can you fit smallish road bikes in the garage?
5. Any other models or brands worth considering that are similar to the quoted model?

Appreciate any advice and that a lot of this is subjective

thanks
Mark

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No

Last year bought a VW California and have got a lot use out of it, with wife, 2 very young kids and a dog. Whilst we love it, with us all onboard it does get cramped and are considering an upgrade to a proper motor home. Love the Hymer brand esp the Exsis-i 580. Considering ordering one but have a few questions

1. Both wife and I have class B license so limited to 3.5t- on the Hymer calculator it shows with options there is a weight of 3036kg (which I understand inc. fuel, gas, 75kg driver). Will this leave enough payload for family based on common loads?
5. Any other models or brands worth considering that are similar to the quoted model?

thanks
Mark
You are going to struggle chap,

1: don't believe it will come in at 3036kg until it's been over a weighbridge.
2: depends on how you intend to use the van.
3: doubtful at the moment, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
4: I don't know, but you must remember rear axle weight.
5: you will still be stuck at 3500kg with both your licenses.

Running a family of 4 with a dog and a bike legally is going to be hard to achieve.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I don't think you will have anything like enough payload for a family.
The i580 has a MIRO of 2900kg giving a 600kg payload. Hymers like all German vans everything is extra so factory fitting options will reduce the payload by 100 - 150kg.
On top of that you will probably need 2nd battery 28kg, spare wheel 30kg, Awning 40kg.
We are on our 3rd Hymer and I reckon a payload of 700kg for 2 people.

The Exsis garage will take full size bikes.

With a growing family well worth taking your C1 as almost impossible to run an A Class at 3500kg with a family of 4.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

markwoody

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW California
Thanks both for the speedy replies. Food for thought. Not adverse to taking C1 at some point and replating, but hoping to get some useful fun out of it before needing to. Do people generally take a spare, rather than AA cover and a can of foam? Awning worth it?

We generally travel light as most trips are weekends and usually only my bike 7.4kg :). Might need to get the scales and spreadsheet out to make this work!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If a tyre goes on a heavy vehicle it usually wrecks the sidewall and a can of gunk will be useless. We'll worth carrying a spare.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Thanks both for the speedy replies. Food for thought. Not adverse to taking C1 at some point and replating, but hoping to get some useful fun out of it before needing to. Do people generally take a spare, rather than AA cover and a can of foam? Awning worth it?

We generally travel light as most trips are weekends and usually only my bike 7.4kg :). Might need to get the scales and spreadsheet out to make this work!!
For weekends I'd say yes. If you are going to use sites you only need minimal water onboard for traveling, half a tank of diesel, I'm sure you get the idea.

Go for it and do your C1 when you need it, most of all enjoy your new van.

Edit: I carry a spare, some do, some don't.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp

thanks
Mark
my wife and I have an i414. incredible space for a small van however

thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, We did the same, kind of. We had a converted VW T5 LWB. Sold her and bought i414. Itā€™s only my wife and I and 2 smallish dogs. It fits us perfectly. The 580 is a bigger vehicle still. It truly depends on how big the kids are and how long you plan to hold onto the new MH. Also could consider an awning and move the kids/dog into the awning as space gets tighter. Things you will really want. A decent awning room, maybe not straight away.
decent Wi-fi is a must. You can get away with phone tethering but an external aerial makes a massive difference.
Firestick/smart TV.
Garage is amazing and 580 is certainly big enough.
You will use up your payload but Hymer always very good in this respect. Check it but Iā€™d be surprised if you donā€™t have close to 700kgs Available on 3.5t.
If you do change your mind on vehicle, Iā€™d still look for an A class.

All I can say is it was one of the best decision weā€™ve ever made.šŸ‘

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp

thanks
Mark
Also. Just remember any extras added go onto the payload so think very hard as to whether Itā€™s really needed. Consider as well though that It will generally be a lot cheaper to fit now rather than retrospectively.
gaslow system or underslung gas tank always a good idea if you plan to use a lot.
self levelling suspension is cool but very expensive.
Steady legs can be a nice asset if you have lots of people walking around or donā€™t have the benefit of an Alko chassis.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
my wife and I have an i414. incredible space for a small van however

Hi Mark, We did the same, kind of. We had a converted VW T5 LWB. Sold her and bought i414. Itā€™s only my wife and I and 2 smallish dogs. It fits us perfectly. The 580 is a bigger vehicle still. It truly depends on how big the kids are and how long you plan to hold onto the new MH. Also could consider an awning and move the kids/dog into the awning as space gets tighter. Things you will really want. A decent awning room, maybe not straight away.
decent Wi-fi is a must. You can get away with phone tethering but an external aerial makes a massive difference.
Firestick/smart TV.
Garage is amazing and 580 is certainly big enough.
You will use up your payload but Hymer always very good in this respect. Check it but Iā€™d be surprised if you donā€™t have close to 700kgs Available on 3.5t.
If you do change your mind on vehicle, Iā€™d still look for an A class.

All I can say is it was one of the best decision weā€™ve ever made.šŸ‘
700kg on a 3500kg that comes out of the factory at 3036kg, I'm not sure how that works?

Lenny HB has told us he's had 2 out of 3 that were 16/30 under/over.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
700kg on a 3500kg that comes out of the factory at 3036kg, I'm not sure how that works?

Lenny HB has told us he's had 2 out of 3 that were 16/30 under/over.
Sorry just checked and it is 570kgs. 474 has 700kgs.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
At least the children are small at present but they will grow (unless you don't feed them!) and with growth they will want more stuff (bikes, clothes, electric gizmos). I suspect that payload will be tight so probably consider not adding things like an awning until you know your actual weight. You can just fit an awning rail to the side that a lightweight Decathlon sail can attach to. That only weighs about 2kg but you may need a step to thread it through the rail unless you are very tall.
In the long term consider the C1...

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
So, I realise that I'm very probably going to get some "interesting" replies here but I'm going to go against popular thought and say that the payload is perfectly doable BUT that it completely depends on how you use your van.
We have a 20 year old burstner, it's fantastic as it's fully winterised, has bunk beds for our kids, room for our dog but we have a payload of well under 400kg. Closer, in fact, to 300 than 400!
But we can use it, legally, just fine. We don't take a lot of "toys" with us. For a grill we have a 2kg Auchan cheapo special that works just fine. We have lightweight cooking pans, lightweight crockery and most of our outdoor gear is of the lightweight trail variety anyway. We pack enough clothes for about 5 days and then simply wash and dry them.
Is it ideal? Absolutely not and yes, we are looking for a replacement van (although more for layout and lounging reasons than the payload to be honest with you) BUT do we think it's better to have a van that requires us to make some compromises than not have a van at all? You bet we do!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
So, I realise that I'm very probably going to get some "interesting" replies here but I'm going to go against popular thought and say that the payload is perfectly doable BUT that it completely depends on how you use your van.
We have a 20 year old burstner, it's fantastic as it's fully winterised, has bunk beds for our kids, room for our dog but we have a payload of well under 400kg. Closer, in fact, to 300 than 400!
But we can use it, legally, just fine. We don't take a lot of "toys" with us. For a grill we have a 2kg Auchan cheapo special that works just fine. We have lightweight cooking pans, lightweight crockery and most of our outdoor gear is of the lightweight trail variety anyway. We pack enough clothes for about 5 days and then simply wash and dry them.
Is it ideal? Absolutely not and yes, we are looking for a replacement van (although more for layout and lounging reasons than the payload to be honest with you) BUT do we think it's better to have a van that requires us to make some compromises than not have a van at all? You bet we do!
Of course, it's horses for courses. I'm going from a 7.5t MH and a work van to 3850kg combined living/work vehicle and it's going to be close, very close, but it can be done for me. The 7500kg was for space that I know I can live without, if the 3850kg doesn't work out I'll have to tow a trailer. We can all make it work one way or the other. I'm doing this because I'm hoping to buy a small pile of bricks while still working and traveling. What chaser doesnt know yet is the pile of bricks I'm looking at isn't far down the road from his place, best keep in his good books in case I need to find somewhere to park the trailer when not in usešŸ˜

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Of course, it's horses for courses. I'm going from a 7.5t MH and a work van to 3850kg combined living/work vehicle and it's going to be close, very close, but it can be done for me. The 7500kg was for space that I know I can live without, if the 3850kg doesn't work out I'll have to tow a trailer. We can all make it work one way or the other. I'm doing this because I'm hoping to buy a small pile of bricks while still working and traveling. What chaser doesnt know yet is the pile of bricks I'm looking at isn't far down the road from his place, best keep in his good books in case I need to find somewhere to park the trailer when not in usešŸ˜
Absolutely. All the vans we are currently looking at have between 55 and 700kg payload and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all?! Eat more chips I guess!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

thanks
Mark
Option to consider
Tow Bar and a decent 750 kg trailer, your kitchen sink and everything can go in that....end of stressšŸ‘

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No problem at all.
But it's a good way for a pile of bricks int it.
We have loaders here as well if they are on pallets.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

@Lenny HB has told us he's had 2 out of 3 that were 16/30 under/over.
I believe you will find Lenny HB vans were over the 3500 kg and were PHGVšŸ¤”

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Absolutely. All the vans we are currently looking at have between 55 and 700kg payload and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all?! Eat more chips I guess!
700kg is OK for 2 on a German van as I said everything is extra. On a Brit built van you would get away with 500kg.

Our current van is 4500kg with a payload of 1350kg we run at 4220kg just two of us and we don't eat many chips :LOL: our combined weight is120kg. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back