Exporting food (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I'm hoping to go to spain for the winter and to help with the massive fuel bill to get my RV there someone suggested taking a load of english goodies to sell, maybe on a market stall there. The likes of HP suace, marmite, buscuits etc.
I'm wondering if anyones done this before ? what is the score with import tax etc ??

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Depending on where you are planning on going in Spain you will find that most of the English items mentioned can now be bought in the larger spanish supermarkets. There are also many English type shops in the Benidorm/Campello area so not sure how big the market would be for your products, unless of course they were alot cheaper than the shops already there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm hoping to go to spain for the winter and to help with the massive fuel bill to get my RV there someone suggested taking a load of english goodies to sell, maybe on a market stall there. The likes of HP suace, marmite, buscuits etc.
I'm wondering if anyones done this before ? what is the score with import tax etc ??

Sounds like an idea.. the shops that sell these are a complete rip off .. with a reasonably mark up you would do well but you would need to sell a lot to cover a fuel bill and transporting would eat heavily into your payload .. even wth an RV .

Do the sums, it may not be worth while.. if you decide to go ahead, add baked beans, Bovril cubes and Jacobs crackers to your inventory .. :thumb:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
First you can not sale food in a market over here some do I know but if court you have big probs
2nd So many shops here now have it all and some cheaper than the U.K also there are many cash and carry here now.But If you want to try then make sure that what ever you bring has the contents in Spanish Good luck.:roflmto:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
It doesn't particularly have to be food, just got me thinking when I saw jammy dodgers in tesco at 39p and on an english shops website at £2.40 I though, take a few, sell em cheap, help pay me petrol. Having to re list all ingredients again in spanish worries me though.
KENSPAIN you mention if court you could get big problems can you tell me more...and if any one else has any ideas of what I might take, someone suggested ladies tights !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First you can not sale food in a market over here some do I know but if court you have big probs
2nd So many shops here now have it all and some cheaper than the U.K also there are many cash and carry here now.But If you want to try then make sure that what ever you bring has the contents in Spanish Good luck.:roflmto:

Oh dear, now winnie knows how the shareholders of "The Acme Lead Balloon Company -- Our balloons never pop" felt.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dream on .many people have tried doing this sort of thing .by the time you pay for a plot you just keep making work. yes there is things you cant get but there is always something else to replace it. you would have to carry an awful lot of stuff to be worth while. better to work abit more here nget the cash. spain is full of people trying to live hand to mouth already ,english ,poles latvians ,romainians etc. never mind some spanish. i would say if you cant get enough here to see you through the winter then dont go. southern spain is full of cheap campers in february for sale by people run out of cash n cant get home. only 35 quid to fly from malaga so campers dont fetch much. if you leave it anywhere to come home n return later it will be gone. be warned spain is not the land of honey.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
dream on .many people have tried doing this sort of thing .by the time you pay for a plot you just keep making work. yes there is things you cant get but there is always something else to replace it. you would have to carry an awful lot of stuff to be worth while. better to work abit more here nget the cash. spain is full of people trying to live hand to mouth already ,english ,poles latvians ,romainians etc. never mind some spanish. i would say if you cant get enough here to see you through the winter then dont go. southern spain is full of cheap campers in february for sale by people run out of cash n cant get home. only 35 quid to fly from malaga so campers dont fetch much. if you leave it anywhere to come home n return later it will be gone. be warned spain is not the land of honey.

Now what honey are you looking for, I have had a better life here than i could have had in the U.k and take a look at the adds over here and see how much campers get, the only ones that get left are the ones that could not make the trip back. All i can say is you must of had a bad trip last time you were over here and yes you cant leave anything alone for to long here, but in March when i came back I left the hire car outside a shop at 11 am when i got back to the car at 11.15 am the window was broken and a coat taken the coat the funny thing was the door was open so be fair its not all honey over there. by the the coat was very dear 7 pound in Asda.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ken i do realise you have a pleasant time in spain .i dont think you are struggling for fuel money. its the campers that dont cant make it back i,m on about. they fetch very little if you are broke n need the flight money home. i do have friends near malaga that often purchase said vehicles for way under the market value. especially if on uk plates etc. i just think some need awake up call. if you are short of money in a foreign country its like everyone is against you. i have always had a pleasant time in all countries. i like uk as well . its never been better in my eyes ,if it wasnt for the weather i would not have the neccesaty to travel in winter .although i do like travelling. and yes this country is as dangerous as any. i dont knock spain i just see lots of people that think its easy over there ,i know its not. if you are financially sound you can enjoy the life but if you penny pinch its quickly a burden. have fun ,i do. alan.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
hi ken i do realise you have a pleasant time in spain .i dont think you are struggling for fuel money. its the campers that dont cant make it back i,m on about. they fetch very little if you are broke n need the flight money home. i do have friends near malaga that often purchase said vehicles for way under the market value. especially if on uk plates etc. i just think some need awake up call. if you are short of money in a foreign country its like everyone is against you. i have always had a pleasant time in all countries. i like uk as well . its never been better in my eyes ,if it wasnt for the weather i would not have the neccesaty to travel in winter .although i do like travelling. and yes this country is as dangerous as any. i dont knock spain i just see lots of people that think its easy over there ,i know its not. if you are financially sound you can enjoy the life but if you penny pinch its quickly a burden. have fun ,i do. alan.

I see it so many times over here, and help a few campers out, they dont plan for a trip just put a few things in the van and of they go. Your friends will tell you that here to scrap a van cost money Any van with a Uk plate here now is not worth much many brits that come over here in there car and stay for years driving with uk plates are in for a shock now you cant tax a uk plated car here so the police are now starting to pull them in.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Im planning on working once over there but as Im in entertainment im predicting few bookings, my RV is hardly scrap, I have all the relevant insurances, tax, mot etc. and plan to come for a few months not years, so I think I'll invest a few hundred quid on goodies and hope for the best. I'll just make sure I buy stuff I like just in case I cant get rid of em...
my fuel bills gonna be about £800 so if I buy 400 things @ a quid and sell em for 2 thats half me petrol and my health sorted for a few months...me thinks its worth the risk of living on cream crackers for the next 2 year.
In adition I am advertising for someone who may be scared of flying or have mobility problems or who just wants to get there slowley and mabe see the sights with me for a while and I do have a funster interested in doing this, but every little helps in this frickin resession.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the thing is if you have to rely on some things it never works. .its not about stopping people going its just if you do get a problem its nice to know you can make it. so many go with no reserve funding. it would not be fair to let you go thinking its easy to earn a shilling there. its not. try it but be aware the spanish authorities dont like foreigners working unless you register with their system. they are not so daft as us. have fun thats what its about, will keep my eyes open maybe we will meet up somewhere. every body gets to know everybody its amazing.you cant go anywhere before someone says i know you. cheers alan.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I used to live in Spain, think the other way round. Bring back Olive oil, wine and maybe some meats, you can take a detour through Italy and France that way you WILL make money back here.

Also consider antiques.

I also used to go to Gib and bring stuff back but thats another story for another day :RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hey slickmouse you didnt bring gibrock back to sell in blackpool then. think you had the right idea though. there could be other things to make a shilling on . i dont think taking food to spain is the most profitable one. but cornish pasties go down well all over the world. and brown sauce lovelly. i do know germans that bake german bread n sell it to other travellers ,but i dont think its get rich quick . best work abit longer here pays better. cheers alan.

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Im planning on working once over there but as Im in entertainment im predicting few bookings, my RV is hardly scrap, I have all the relevant insurances, tax, mot etc. and plan to come for a few months not years, so I think I'll invest a few hundred quid on goodies and hope for the best. I'll just make sure I buy stuff I like just in case I cant get rid of em...
my fuel bills gonna be about £800 so if I buy 400 things @ a quid and sell em for 2 thats half me petrol and my health sorted for a few months...me thinks its worth the risk of living on cream crackers for the next 2 year.
In adition I am advertising for someone who may be scared of flying or have mobility problems or who just wants to get there slowley and mabe see the sights with me for a while and I do have a funster interested in doing this, but every little helps in this frickin resession.

Buy for a pound and sale for 2 i dont think so, Please I am not trying to put you down but what you want to do here is not that easy, There is tax to pay unless you are going to ask for what is called black money then you will find you only get about half what others get. Also now more police go in to bars and ask for papers to see if your paying tax here,some get away with it some dont .The other thing is were are you going to park. Please think this through if you go for it good luck. When you get here and if i can help in anyway just let me know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back