Exporting a motorhome to the USA (1 Viewer)

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just returned from rural Vermont where I married my American wife. This was my second trip to the USA, but the first leisure trip. I was enchanted by both the American hospitality and the scenery. Vermont alone has over 4,000,000 acres of forest and 30 mountains taller than Snowdon. At this time of the year it's beautiful.

Before we met, my wife Cynthia was going to sell her house, buy a motorhome and tour the USA. We purchased a Hymer in the UK in March this year. We've done about two months touring in it so far, including a failed trip to Denmark to get married.

We will be touring Europe next year, but we're exploring the possibility of exporting the Hymer to the USA. I don't know anything about the rules, regulations or cost yet, so I thought the best place to start would be here.

Over to you then. Can you give me any idea of the cost involved and any modifications needed to the Hymer, and are there any restrictions on our length of stay?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I would have thought that with the work involved and the cost to electrics and gas, lights, shipping etc, allied to the fairly low price of RV,s in America it may be better to sell the Hymer and purchase a vehicle there.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
MMM had a supplement earlier in the year with a feature on exporting a MH temporarily to the US, could be the April edition. I'll try to find it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Investigate the buying route very carefully as it is exceedingly difficult (nigh impossible!) for a non US citizen to buy a vehicle in the States - as I discovered in 2009 - especially on a visitor's B1 visa.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks you were misinformed Jon,very many on our American RV sister (RVOC)site have done exactly that
Both for export back to the UK, and to leave it in the US for touring etc
Smoothie needs to tell us if he is talking just touring the USA or importing and registering it in the USA
for a better answer to his question
G

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm sure someone on here took their van to the USA, they sent it over on a container ship did the tour then shipped it back. I'm positive they posted pics.

Also I'm sure another member from Austriala has also done it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Originalsmoothie
If you want to ship to USA contact Seabridge.com there's nothing they don't know. It's actually very easy and not that expensive we priced it last year for our tag axle Hymer.
If as a foreign nationals you want to buy a RV contact TaxFreeRv in Red Lodge Montana. Again very simple to do don't listen to those who say it can't be done because I've done it. Don't forget to set up a LLC registered in Montana that way you avoid paying purchase tax.
Fantastic country to tour we did all 50 states over 3 years.
Good luck
Enjoy (y)(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
OP has an American wife, she can buy one over there..(y)

Yes there is a member with a blog on here that has taken their motorhome over there and I believe has bought one there too....

Do a search on here or perhaps they will be along soon....:)

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
Investigate the buying route very carefully as it is exceedingly difficult (nigh impossible!) for a non US citizen to buy a vehicle in the States - as I discovered in 2009 - especially on a visitor's B1 visa.
My wife is an American citizen so buying would not be a problem. However, we would rather take our Hymer over there than purchase an American bus.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I would have thought that with the work involved and the cost to electrics and gas, lights, shipping etc, allied to the fairly low price of RV,s in America it may be better to sell the Hymer and purchase a vehicle there.

I would agree, also you'd have to have the Hymer converted to 110v gas no problem just get an acme conversion.

Length of stay I presume you mean on a site rather than the country? No problem, may Americans legally full time unlike the UK or Europe :(

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

I bet he could buy a gun though! :)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
The red tape to get the vehicle " American Legal " is a nightmare but not impossible. I was going to bring my car over ( modiified porsche 944 turbo ) when I was married to an American and lived there. Anyway...between the jigs and the reels my advice would be this......forget it and buy a yank RV....life is too short for the headache that could await you...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We also have a tag axle Hymer. It's 7.7m long. Do you mind me asking how much your quote was?

Exactly the same as mine then 7.7 metre tag B694.
Can't remember the price exactly but will see if I can find the email if I do I'll pm you a copy far cheaper than long term hire.
Our plan if we do it is to go for. 6 months tour more Canada and Alaska next time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are planning to permanently export the vehicle you would want to look at how the vehicle can be supported over there. They make Fiat vans (if your Hymer is a Fiat) in the USA but I don't know how much commonality of parts there is, I know some of them have different engines. If support is difficult then the resale value will be low.

I think these are the Fiat vans.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The Avtar, is the Winnebago I owned in the USA for over 5 years!, (Devils Tower in the background!). It was a relatively simple (if nail-biting!) purchase in Florida (Private). Titled and driven to Texas!, towing the "rental" on a U-Haul dolly!. The main issues you will find with a "Euro" is the electrics are 230V-50Hz. And will require a Large (Expensive 110 to 230V) Transformer to use it on US camp-grounds.
IF the Hymer is Mercedes (Sprinter?), then the Mech; Parts situation could be fairly Simple (ish!). We saw the odd German Registered Camper in the USA. so it can be done. A guy in our village (sadly now deceased) Costed it out, and it was Cheaper to drive to Hamburg and then ship to the USA!.

P.s. Don`t forget, that transferring money to the USA gets held up is over $9.999!.

Pete

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our Hymer is a B694 on a Fiat chassis, so maybe we will have a problem with parts. I'm beginning to think that the way to go may be to buy a second had motorhome over there and hope we don't lose to much when we sell it after a year. Money transfer shouldn't be an issue as my wife is American.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Our Hymer is a B694 on a Fiat chassis, so maybe we will have a problem with parts. I'm beginning to think that the way to go may be to buy a second had motorhome over there and hope we don't lose to much when we sell it after a year. Money transfer shouldn't be an issue as my wife is American.
That is the wise choice....even if you did export it to the US, You would have to keep it for its lifetime as I dont think you'd have many takers when you go to sell it being a Euro import. I bought a 28ft Champion RV for $4500 when I lived there, Only 57k on the clock and was faultless. Craigslist can be a great source for bargain RV's.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
About 10 yrs ago I spoke to a german Hymer owner who told of taking his Hymer on top of a container ship from Bremerhaven??? to I think Baltimore.
He went on to say that in all the time he was there he didn't buy a single beer because all the Yank R.V'ers wanted to look around his 'van and he was invited out every night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back