Exploring Spain: Where next? (1 Viewer)

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi!
Me, the husband and the dog are taking a year off and exploring various countries in Europe and at the moment we are in Spain. We have been here 6 days so far and will probably be here another 4 weeks or so. Any suggestions for places to visit, especially places good for walking?

So far we have done:
Lloret de Mar - we did walks on the beach front and then the cliff paths. Yay sun after the storms in France...
Tavertet- amazing walks in the mountains, wonderful views!
Montserrat National Park - walked around the needles for 4 hours here today. Great scenery, fun scrambling, exhausted legs!

Next is Delta Ebro, we are travelling there tomorrow and might stay a couple of days. But after that, no idea! (other than a couple of places a lot further on)

We prefer nature to cities, and are mostly exploring the countryside. We aren't bar or sunbathing people and are limited by having a dog so most beaches and indoor things are not possible. So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Moose :D

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Moose, not too far from the delta and inland is Morella, a lovely hill top village if stunning countryside with plenty of paths to explore. Oh and free parking.

Frog.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
20160514_155350.jpg

Deleted User
Cabo de Gata natural park in Almeria San Jose, Las Negras, Los Escullos, Agua Amarga, superb coastal scenery, isolated beaches, volcanic hilly walking country. Camp sites and camperstop in amongst.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cabo de Gata natural park in Almeria San Jose, Las Negras, Los Escullos, Agua Amarga, superb coastal scenery, isolated beaches, volcanic hilly walking country. Camp sites and camperstop in amongst.
+1 to all that. :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Peniscola/Benicarlo, plenty of walking in the hills and lots of cheap campsites.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
IMG_20170509_112713.jpg
Near Benicarlo.

Reactions: f6c
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
First off!! You need to stop or at least slow down what’s the rush enjoy the journey and do not set a destination, the above post states Cabo de Gata, it rains about 1 week a year, do not miss it and it should fit right in with the lifestyle you mention which is just as good because it’s nit a Bar/ Restaurant’s/ Brits abroad area.

It’s brilliant enjoy.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just follow the coast and make journeys inland here and there . could be very snowy inland some places . but have an adventure , follow the coast all the way round spain /portugal .
mind hope you live long enough to see it all . been doing it since 1962 as a kid and i still havnt seen it all. but its fun.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Thank you for so many good suggestions so quickly! I'm looking up online where all your suggestions are :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last edited:
OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
So many great ideas, thanks!

At the moment the vague plan is go down the east side, a bit of time at the south then up via Seville, Córdoba, Madrid, then into the Pyrenees (depending on weather as we don't have snow tyres). With all your suggestions I now have some more ideas of where to visit.

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
@Boringfrog Thanks for the Morella suggestion - I think we will end up visiting there. Just checking as Search for Sites suggests the aire is for small or medium motorhomes, are there any things that severely restrict length/weight? We are 8m, 4.5t but frankly have managed to fit everywhere we have tried so far (even if Search for Sites didn't show big ones definitely fit).

Moose :)

OP
OP
Randommoose

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
P.s. If anyone is around on the way let me know and we might be able to meet up if you want :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
@Boringfrog Thanks for the Morella suggestion - I think we will end up visiting there. Just checking as Search for Sites suggests the aire is for small or medium motorhomes, are there any things that severely restrict length/weight? We are 8m, 4.5t but frankly have managed to fit everywhere we have tried so far (even if Search for Sites didn't show big ones definitely fit).

The official aire is a short walk outside the village, there is a downhill gravel road leading to it, OK in my 7mtr van. I think you can also park in the large car park just behind the town too where the trip buses stop.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some nice places around alcaniz by the lakes then drop down having a nose at other lakes on the way to or from morella . depends if going north or south.
all over inland spain the wild life can be fantastic , vultures wolves , wild boar. red deer . the bird life is amazing . never mind the bears http://www.iberianature.com/material/spainbearnews.htm
and down on the med you may see ibex a kind of goat crossed with reindeer.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Why don’t you just get the map out.............and act like you really are a ....random moose.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm keeping an eye on this thread too ...also in the east of Spain currently at sitges

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm keeping an eye on this thread too ...also in the east of Spain currently at sitges
you know the rules of my game . hug the sea take every turning left to the sea . if you have to come back it doesnt matter . you are on an adventure . next stop villa nova i la geltru nice there used to be a park up by the port but not now follow the sea and there are lots , park dont camp. very often there is surf there . local surf club are very friendly . have fun i,m sure you will.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
you know the rules of my game . hug the sea take every turning left to the sea . if you have to come back it doesnt matter . you are on an adventure . next stop villa nova i la geltru nice there used to be a park up by the port but not now follow the sea and there are lots , park dont camp. very often there is surf there . local surf club are very friendly . have fun i,m sure you will.
Yes I'm popping to villafranca first as it has an official aire with services and then to vilanova ....there is an unofficial but allowed parking area there not far from the beach so I'm told so I'll check that out :)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, as you will read previous posts suggest Totana Camperstop as a possible place to visit, if you do put us on your list of places to visit then, please PM either me or Judith.
We would like to be around if a visit is planned, and what your expectations are from Spanish mountain or coastal walking.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Been there with 9.2 metres and 7.49t

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
The west coast from Cadiz south to Tarifa is stunning beautiful and unspoilt no major tourist developments, the beaches are to die for and inland there are many great areas for walking or cycling. Plenty of campsites and wilding.
We've just travelled along this coast. It's lovely. We stayed at a campsite in el puerto de santa Maria. You can get a ferry from there to Cadiz. Rota nice free aire. Lovely beaches and pine forests. Chipiona next again free aire over looking the sea. We arrived at El Ricio yesterday. Its on the edge of Donana National park. We're hoping to do some bird watching here. None of the places I've mentioned are touristy. No brit bars. We are loving the area and would definitely come back. The best bit is we haven't finished yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back