LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2013
North East England
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello there, can anyone answer this query?

I have held a normal driving licence since 1970, this gives me class C1, I believe I can drive a vehicle up to 7.5t. The Chausson motorhome is classed as a 3500 KG but the V5 document only shows a revenue weight of 3650 KG. The Fiat chassis data plate has the following 4 weights, 3650 KG, 6150 KG, 1850 KG and 2000 KG. The Trigano data plate lists 4 weights, 3500 KG, 4600 KG, 1850 KG and 2000 KG.

The question is what is the maximum total legal weight I can drive on the road and what do the various weights refer to?
Any help with explanation of all or some of the data would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Kelvin.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Strange one? So who knows the unladen weight of their van? Is that the MIRO? How should you find it?
From the C&U Regs:
"unladen weight.
The weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts (the heavier being taken where alternative bodies or parts are used) which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road, but exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle or, as the case may be, of any vehicle by which the trailer is drawn, and of loose tools and loose equipment."

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
From the C&U Regs:
"unladen weight.
The weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts (the heavier being taken where alternative bodies or parts are used) which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road, but exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle or, as the case may be, of any vehicle by which the trailer is drawn, and of loose tools and loose equipment."
So if I buy a 4.200kg motorhome how do I find in unladen weight?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From the C&U Regs:
"unladen weight.

So if I buy a 4.200kg motorhome how do I find in unladen weight?
In simple terms you'd need to completely empty the MH except for items which are permanently attached, or part of the original specification such as mattress, cushions etc, ie as it would normally have come from the manufacturer before you put yourselves and clobber in it but including any permanent additions such as a wind-out awning, solar panel etc. This is why I say it's nuts! Who on earth is going to completely empty their vehicle, including having only a small amount of fuel in it, then get it weighed! If it was on the maximum weight, as it is abroad, that would be much easier - up to & including 3500kg the higher speeds apply, over 3500kg the lower ... simples!

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Newer vehicles have the unladen weight on the V5 as mine does. And although I have a high laden and train weight I can still do the higher speed limits as my ULW is 3.045.
Using the GVW would make more sense but I am glad of the silly system.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back