Experiences with Tracker (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have just been told that I have a tracker on my motorhome and I am trying to decide whether to activate it or not. What are others experience of these and specifically has anybody been unfortunate enough to have to use it? If so did it work? Were the police good at looking for it, as I wonder whether it is at the top of their priority list?

The one I have installed is a standard monitor, but Tracker are also offering me a replacement GPS unit that will allow me to track it myself. More expensive, but is it worth it I wonder?

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
The money side of it, only you can answer but I have the strikeback which has tracking by GPS that I would do on my phone.It sends a text if the vehicle moves or is tampered with and then tracks it. I can then send a text back which immobilises the vehicle.Without knocking the police, I'm fairly sure that I would react a fair bit quicker if the situation ever arose. And there is no monthly contract to pay and no monitoring company to tell you that there phones were down so they didnt get the alarm.But as always, you pays yer money and takes yer choice:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If what they are offering for you to track as well is over £350 for the whole of Europe for the Life of the vehicle (you owning) with unlimited checks - then you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Of course, if you vehicle is stolen and it ha a deactivated system on there - the insurers will activate it to fond the vehicle. (Happened with a friend as some equipment he never realised that it had a tracker fitted). In that situation, you could argue that you would save the subscription and still have the vehicle found?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Tracker

Hello ,I had a tracker system on a rapido some time back and after about 2 years I had sold this van and bought another after informing Tracker of my sale it was on a lifetime contract costing about £500 I think some years passed then one day I had a phone call from Tracker to say the rapido was on the move and was it authorised :Eeek:so its a good system but their records were not so good :thumb:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If what they are offering for you to track as well is over £350 for the whole of Europe for the Life of the vehicle (you owning) with unlimited checks - then you can get it cheaper elsewhere.
Just for tracking (no GPS) it is a £30 one off reactivation fee then either £149 per year or £399 for the lifetime. The GPS version would cost me £249 to fit then £399 for three years. Could I get it cheaper and if so how?

It only covers parts of Europe, not all of it

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The money side of it, only you can answer but I have the strikeback which has tracking by GPS that I would do on my phone.It sends a text if the vehicle moves or is tampered with and then tracks it. I can then send a text back which immobilises the vehicle.
I have heard about the Strikeback alarm but did not realise it had GPS tracking as well. How does it know it is not you moving the vehicle or does it text you every time it moves? If they steal the keys and move it can you remotely call up the GPS and activate it? How much did it all cost to fit? Sorry for all the questions.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you need to ask Eddie vanbitz about Strikeback its his system :thumb: i have it fitted and a tracker but my tracker is monitored by trackstar no me.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
It only texts you if you have set the alarm and it moves. If its stolen you can track it on google maps and also text it to immobilise it the next time the engine is turned off.If you give Eddie at Vanbitz a call he will tell you all about it. He is a member on here so you also get a funster discount.The service is second to none and there is no annual fee.
Hope this helps.
C

Phil beat me by 60 seconds::bigsmile:

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I have had lots of experiences with tracker and as said above.. Value wise its great.... Works well and is not too expensive.
The basic rf tracker which the police have recievers for can be located and sometimes are by thieves... Lots of great places to conceal it on a motorhome though.
The best systems are always going to be blended... Using rf.. Gps.. Gsm technology.
Key security is as important as most modern vans are hard to take without the key.
Physical security such as bollards and pedal locks are also very good.
And of course a good quality Thatcham rated... Well fitted alarm system.

Remember that rf can be found easily.. Gps and gsm can be jammed easily.. And alarms can be often deactivated from the key...

Keep keys safe and have some physical security.. Then decide what else is needed/can be afforded

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a Phantom tracker fitted to our van when we bought it so we took up the contract, initially for a year but then renewed for 5 years (for the cost of about 3). The alarm has activated twice when we forgot to turn off the hidden switch before moving. Phantom called us fairly quickly on both occasions and we were able to confirm it was a false alarm. If we had not done so they would have passed the van's location details to the police.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Brilliant for peace of mind. If it goes, it goes ... But not for long. They are on to it and know where it is. Well worth the money and discount on insurance if I am correct, so it pays for itself:Smile:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had no choice in the matter. It's a new van and insurance insisted on a Thatcham alarm and tracker.
Just been to Vanbitz where we had a Growler alarm and Trackstar tracker fitted. Not had any need to test the effectiveness of the tracker yet and hope we never will!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I used to think trackers were a waste of time. Often repeating the old mantra, "I wouldn't want it back if it had been nicked" But then heard about the guy who had his motorhome returned in under two hours after it was stolen from a French supermarket carpark. Imagine that..

"All excited, your off on your holidays. First stop the French supermarket to stock up on wine beer and fancy French biscuits. So with a trolley full of shopping, you come out of the store and stand in shock. your motorhome has gone, stolen! Are you going to see your motorhome ever again? How are you going to get home? Holiday ruined, possessions lost, weeks or months of delay while your insurers haggle over how much they are going to pay you"

Motorhomes are rarely if ever stolen by joy riders, they are stolen to sell on or ship quickly. With a tracker fitted, your motorhome could be located in seconds.In less than a couple of hours you could be putting your beer in the fridge and continuing with your holiday. Motorhomes don't get stolen that often, but if mine does, I'll know where it is:thumb:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i have a [back2you] fitted had it on van since new, phone every now and then just to keep tracker [ alive]
have fitted microphone, movement censors -etc been advised not to activate engine cut off [especially when on move] if you cause an accident may be liable to prosecution,also have cat alarmed to main van alarm,reg on roof but as said if they want it they will take it,also stickers notifying tracker fitted cctv led moniter front / rear camera,on about fitting x ternal pir censors [ 12v] to activate alarm and lights,just do what makes you sleep better at night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back