Experienced Motorhomers But First Time In Uk (1 Viewer)

AlesErminio

Free Member
Jun 10, 2015
Madrid
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2004
Dear admin(s) and members,

let me introduce myself first. My name is Ales and my family counts all together 4 members and one rabbit. Our daughters have 8 and 11 years and we are a camping and motorhome enthusiasts since I know for myself :giggler:
We started in motorhome world app. 10 years ago first renting but now we own our beauty called Adria Coral 655SP.
Three years ago we moved from our home country Slovenia to Madrid, Spain (work related move) and we got a great opportunity to discover whole peninsula...we did almost 50.000km in those three years touring across Spain, Portugal and W France.
Now our work sends us your way...in a month we are arriving in UK (SW part of London) and since our motorhome is our beloved family member it goes with us :h:
Here I need some of your help...I know how continental European motorhoming looks like...how camper stops and camping works but have no idea how different this is in your country.
I have been searching for some good info for some weeks now but with no major success...I need basic info about how motorhoming is done in UK.
Do you have more or less just camping grounds or also some camper stops with basic facilities (gray water and toilet discharge, clean water)?
Where can I find a secure and well maintained parking place for my motorhome when not touring since I suppose I will not be able to park it in front of my house/flat.
What is the most reliable source of information regarding where to go, what to see, where to sleep, etc.? I assume this could be this great forum, right :happy:
Do I have to do any special adjustments on my motohome while driving in UK?
How difficult it might be to change the licence plates to UK ones?
Where can I change my gas bottles and Spanish regulator?
A lot of basic questions but answers are really needed before coming over not to have to much trouble in a beginning of our journey :madder:
I thank you all for any kind of info given and help provided.
Hope to see us soon somewhere :winky:

Ales&family

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ales and Family

First would be to say welcome to the forum, you will not be wanting for answers.

Secondly I might ask how long are you in the UK for.

Martin

OP
OP
AlesErminio

AlesErminio

Free Member
Jun 10, 2015
Madrid
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Martin,
as it looks it might be for some years...at least we hope so :blusher:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Ales and Family I can't answer your questions but no doubt others on the forum will be along soon to provide information....they are a very friendly, helpful, knowlegdeable, crazy bunch of people. You have come to the right place. :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Martin,
as it looks it might be for some years...at least we hope so :blusher:

Hi and welcome...
Check,,,,,, But I am pretty sure the same apply`s bringing a vehicle to the UK as with us taking one abroad..

Six months and it will have to be registered in the country you are staying, and conform to reg`s... MOT, Road Tax, Insurance.. etc.. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I suggest it would probably be best to start a new thread for each question. For example, anything about gas in the heating section, although it doesn't matter too much and you could just ask all your questions in the Motorhome Chat area.

As for motorhoming in the UK, Aires and camperstops are rare, although some areas, particularly Scotland are good for wild camping. There are two main clubs, the Caravan Club and the other is the Camping and Caravan Club. Both have sites and also many smaller sites which can take up to 5 vehicles. These are usually just a field with water and waste disposal.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Ales and welcome to our forum

So many questions and not simple to answer all of them. The biggest ones though are that motorhoming in the Uk is not as easy as mainland europe, we dont have many aire type camper stops at all. The best way is join our camping & caravanning club and use their network of sites, both large and small. Also if you will be based in London, you need to register your motorhome to be able to drive it into London if it is new enough. storage sites near to London have a list of people waiting for spaces and parking on the road is probably not possible and certainly not advisable (theft & vandals)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi from the sw Devon.
You will need to get a UK MOT test done on your Moho .then you will need a form V55/5 which is to register it in the UK if you follow the link that can explain more for you.
You will also have to register with HMRC (customs and Excise)tax man
As for sites its a lotto and nothing like Aires as in Spain/France .
But good luck on your travels ,you have landed on the best motorhome forum in the world (probably :))
And no fdoubt you will have plenty of answers in due course .
d6964ae54a.gif

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...and-registration-of-a-used-motor-vehicle-v555

OP
OP
AlesErminio

AlesErminio

Free Member
Jun 10, 2015
Madrid
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks to all of you :)
I already did join the Caravan Club since I was told it is the best form to get around...do I have to join also the other one to get all the benefits or one is enough?
As importing my motorhome into UK I know I have to do it in 6months but I hope there will be no major problems especially with "original documents" which are in Slovenian language :frowny:
What can a person do if there is no option of a storage place and no space in front of his house?! There has to be some way of "parking" it safelly somewhere close, right?
Thanks for bearing with my strange questions, but didn't have time to search all threads in this forum yet so will start to do it now (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Ales.......... I think the next best thing to do is join this great club (Only cost`s £10) otherwise you will run out of free posting`s..

I`m not sure exactly how many you are allowed..... but some one will tell you.

Then you can ask as many questions as you like, and also attend any of the many Rally`s held in the UK.. (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello , welcome to the forum.
I think it's five free posts. May be a couple more.
As others have said , start other threads (posts) with your questions regarding everything. You will get lots of replies that way. Not everyone looks at the welcome posts. There are mostly campsites in Britain. Very few airs, camperstops.
Keeping your Motorhome in London may be a problem. You may have to pay for storage. It's not cheap down there , very expensive.
Even up here we pay £340 a year.
If you move further North , find work up here. We are not only more friendly ;) but there's more green and beautiful land! Cheaper property. Lots of lovely places to visit with your Motorhome.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum (5 free posting then you must pay to continue). No one has mentioned the problem of taking a motorhome into London. Depending of course where in London you may need to have a Euro 5 engine or later if it is diesel. To take it into the low emission zone. Someone will post a link where you can enter your registration to check if you are compliant however it may only work if you are UK registered. Where you can park it will depend on what part of London you are going to, I guess we need more information.

OP
OP
AlesErminio

AlesErminio

Free Member
Jun 10, 2015
Madrid
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2004
Ups, didn't know the policy about free posts (y)
Will do the membership payment now and yes, I am already searching answers on other topics threads!
Thanks guys!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Ales welcome to motorhome fun.

Firstly have to say it sounds like you and your family have some great times in your motorhome, love your home country it's such a beautiful place and friendly people.

If your looking for storage then you will find a few sites near London that will offer secure storage although it could be expensive, I know the caravan club offer storage at their London site Abbey wood.

As for places to stay it will be a bit harder in the UK but if your sensible you'll always find somewhere to stay.
I would recommend you bring the family up to Scotland for a visit where you will find it far easier to camp for the night with no issues.

Can't help with the insurance or other stuff to do with the motorhome.
Forgot to mention we also have an Adria.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Now have a look through the various forums, and ask your questions in the appropriate section and you will get great answers.. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh, and the most important piece of advice you will ever get on here.
Never, ever, ever open a thread with a title of (similar to) Jokes For Today posted by @old-mo! You've been warned!:crying:

Oh, and :welc:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How difficult it might be to change the licence plates to UK ones?

Hi Ales and family .. a big welcome from me..

this Goverment site has all the details about importing and registering your vehicle..
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

If you are going to be parking or storing the van inside the London LEZ , Check compliance here.. drop down menu for vehicle country

Link Removed

Find a secure motorhome storage site here ..

Link Removed

Calor gas is the main supplier of bottled LPG . buy from many outlets.. eg. Caravan dealers, Garages, Garden Centers, small retailers.. look for the Calor sign.
Regulators from any caravan dealer or ebay..

There are two types of Calor gas.. Propane (Red bottle) and Butane (Blue bottle) . Propane is the most popular as you can use it all year round, Butane stops gassing off at around 6 deg C .. so little use in UK winter..

If you have a bulkhead regulator you may need a new pigtail.. if not, then buy one to fit the bottle .. Butane and Propane have different bottle regulators.. Red for Propane. it has a male thread.. Butane female.. Propane bottles come in several sizes for motorhome use: 3.9kg 6kg or 13kg .. depends on locker size what you choose..
Link Removed

Or you could fit refillable bottles.. it is a lot cheaper than bottled.. several makes, Gasit, Gaslow, Alugas.. LPG, (Autogas) is is now available nationwide at fuel filling stations. This saves hassle of changing to different bottles if you travel in the EU..

Good luck with the move..

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi :hi: and:welc: to the club, you have definitely joined the right club for getting all your questions answered :clap2: there is always plenty of helpful information from the fun club (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back