Experience of / preference of Elddis / Swift / Tribute / Roller Team for motorhome rental (1 Viewer)

Jumpstartrichard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Folks,

I am in the process of looking at various budget end motorhomes namely the Elddis Autoquest/ Accordo, Swift Escape, Tribute and Roller Team brands. This is part of my business plan for potentially starting a motorhome rental business in April 2015 with 3 to 6 new units initially.

Can anyone give any insight into any of the brands based on previous experience / ownership. Or am I perhaps overlooking another brand worth considering?

Thank you for your time.

Richard

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I think when considering rental units it is the layout that is the most important consideration. I would think that any prospective hirer would be less interested in the manufacturer unless of course the hire was a precursor to purchase. If your intended market is newcomers simplicity of equipment is something else to consider. You don't want to end up with continual repairs because a hirer made a mistake with some overly complicated equipment. This is just my opinion of course and is based on the assumption that you are only looking at a hire business and not sales.
I currently have a Swift based PVC (autocruise) but have previously owned coachbuilt MH's.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
there seem to be a lot of maclouis van used for hire companies this may reflect their suitability or it may be a financial choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Whatever you decide I think you should consider the payload as well. I have seen a few hire companies using 6 berth units which could not be used legally unless the passengers travelled separately.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We hired a Swift Escape and a 20 year-old Hymer 660 last year before buying Udo.

The Swift was easy to drive, but in every other way, far less enjoyable and practicable to use compared to the Hymer.

My children also made an instant connection with the Hymer. Beds were far easier to make up, there was more storage space and even the mattresses were more comfortable. The layout did play a part, but the only discernable difference was the fixed rear bed in the Hymer. The rest was down to thoughtful design touches and build quality.

I know, from speaking to the Swift owner, that getting hold of spares can be difficult and the interior fixtures and fittings weren't the best quality and broke easily.

By comarison, the Hymer wore its years and usage well.

Hire prices charged for both were comparable.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are two firms I know of who use Roller Team.. real budget end mh's that seem fairly sturdy ..
In fact my son in law has owned one for the past 5 years and so far nothing has broken ( and he often takes a selection on my great grand children with him .. all of whom are somewhat boisterous !! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Chausson seem to be a rental firm's weapon of choice. I often see them for sale as ex-rental units. They do genuinely make a nice family range and they are well specced at the price point, as well as having a good degree of winterisation for trouble-free year-round hires.
It might also be the fact they also do them on Transits!!!:reel:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Chausson seem to be a rental firm's weapon of choice. I often see them for sale as ex-rental units. They do genuinely make a nice family range and they are well specced at the price point, as well as having a good degree of winterisation for trouble-free year-round hires.
It might also be the fact they also do them on Transits!!!:reel:

They are well specced Last year before buying our 1st coach built (1999 Hymer) We hired a 4 berth Chausson and it had most things including surprisingly a diesel heater which like gas kept us warm and toasty AND unlike gas you could use whilst traveling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back