Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
allways shop about for accesories stay away from the big place at gunthorpe :ROFLMAO:

Oh i wish:RollEyes:

We don't pick up our van until next thursday but the Gaffa says 'i want to go to Lowdhams on Saturday' ::bigsmile:

Quite a job kitting these things out, and it needs, well i say needs an alarm as soon as we get it.

Never thought my short question would inflame so much passion :Eeek: Its a great site that covers all walks of life

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think we should thank those who spend massive amounts on new motorhomes.
They keep people employed in the factories and the dealerships. The tax take on this collective is quite large. PAYE, corporation tax, NI contributions, VAT, it all goes into the Country's coffers!
As mentioned earlier, there would be no used motorhomes either!
We saw a beautiful N&B Flair at one show for about £130k.
I would like to personally thank the purchaser for his generosity to us!:thumb:

When he, and subsequent owners have got bored with it, we can buy it in about 8 years time for a massive discount courtesy of those previous owners. Thank you all!::bigsmile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Some mhs seem to think money is no object when it comes to spending on vans, as I have been shot down on on here many times for mentioning, just because you have loads of money I just can't see why you have to throw it away .
I have had to work hard and long for the bit I have got so still save every penny I can on my mh, [HI]why anyone wants to spend maybe £50 a night on campsites when you could have b&b for the same money just defeats me,[/HI] just because you have got it doesn't mean you have got to throw it away, you can go to meets for about a fiver and meet like minded people or in France aires are brilliant for free, soon pay your ferry back.
I am probably rambling a bit but the mist of it is you can have wonderful times without breaking the bank if you just weigh it all up before throwing money at it.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I will spend £40 a night in the high season on a site because with x2 little ones we don`t want to sit in a field watching cows eat grass all day:thumb:

If x4 of us stayed in a b+b we would go insane with boredom.

Those same expensive commercial sites are £5 in January when it`s -5 degrees on site, we still go because there are indoor heated pools, evening entertainment, bowling ,restaurants, bars, indoor adventure playgrounds --(for me when too much beer)!:thumb:

It gets us out of the house mid winter weekends and we can do all that under one roof in the warm:thumb:- so what we spend lots on in the summer comes cheap in the winter.

I can`t really think of many places nowadays where you can go in without paying£££ and use all the facilities .

Some other like peace and quiet :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can pay £100,000 now for a Chelsea tractor, Range Rover and what can you do with it apart from ponce about with it showing off and middle lane hogging on the motorway.

That will be lose £25k once its driven off the forecourt

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
To the man that has only a pound in the bank a five pound bus ticket is extortionate. So it is with motorhoming we all enjoy the same hobby at different levels of expenditure yet get the same amount of enjoyment from it. To some that seems strange, to some extravagant. Others see some people as freeloading tossers. Unless you work for the inland revenue what other people spend or can afford to spend on their hobbies is NOYDB. Restricting your ideas of expenditure, morality, or whatever to yourself is fine but you have no right to extend those values to other people. Each to their own and nobodies business but their own.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's it then, not bothered how much anyone spends, I'm talking value for money , just because you have a lot is no reason to throw it away that's all.
So won't bother trying to save you any money anymore, but if you want to chuck it about, try sending some of it my way::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

Cannot take it with you. I am planning or hoping that the last cheque to come out of my bank account is to the undertaker and that it BOUNCERS. BUSBY:roflmto:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
That's it then, not bothered how much anyone spends, I'm talking value for money , just because you have a lot is no reason to throw it away that's all.
So won't bother trying to save you any money anymore, but if you want to chuck it about, try sending some of it my way::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

Good that you are not bothered any longer by how much anyone spends, as its really not your business to be honest :Eeek: certainly seems to have bothered you a lot till now!
What is "value for money" for you is certainly not going to be the same for everyone else, that is a very arrogant assumption to make! People are absolutely entitled to "throw their money away" without your permission! :Doh: just because you don't approve, doesn't mean that their choice is not right for them!

Its not your money, so focus on "trying to save" your own money instead of making judgemental comments about how other people spend their money. For that matter, all holidays cost money, so by having none at all, you will spend far less on them! :Eeek:

Make the most of what you have, don't pass judgement on everyone else whom you perceive to have more than you, its not good for your peace of mind! :Eeek::Eeek:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Is Motorhoming as expensive as it looks?

I see many post on here and to very many money seems no object, :whatthe: it certainly is to us. I don't say we are poor but we certainly have to live within our budget.

Any of you have to budget?:thumb:

well, difficult one this is as everybody has different needs and budgets, however my wife and I have just come back from six weeks away in Croatia, stayed at reasonable camp sites, motorway service stations, etc, wife is the accountant and recons the tour cost us just over £1680.. that's everything..but we don't add in the 'hidden' additional cost of running the motor home:Sad:
from that I would say that owning a motorhome, costs of running it especially the rising costs of fuel is now becoming expensive, for instance the french are now charging for Aeries stop overs which in some cases work's out more expensive than a stop over at a camp site.. don't forget most motor homers with respect are in their 'twilight years' and living off their savings, pensions,......my wife and I came from the Cruising world and at times spent in excess of over £6000 per cruise..expensive yes but then we didn't consider the cost only our experience's, my preference would still be cruising but motorhoming in my opinion is the next best thing:Cool:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Cannot take it with you. I am planning or hoping that the last cheque to come out of my bank account is to the undertaker and that it BOUNCERS. BUSBY:roflmto:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
TOTALLY AGREE WITH ABOVE POST. ENJOY YOUR MOTORHOME, SPEND WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD, DON'T GIVE A S$$T ABOUT ANYONE ELSE. AND MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN!!FUN!!FUN!! AND TO HELL WITH THE EXPENSE.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, we budget.. We cut back on luxuries like house insurance, going to the pub ( never ), eating out ( never ), and tend to buy a LOT of own brand stuff to eat !

I am self employed.. I sell motorcycle parts.. I will NEVER be a rich man ( to say the least ) but woman and I really enjoy all the meets, and the weekends off and a way ( max range 60 miles from base ) from the house ...

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
camping costs

Hi, we have just returned from a six week European tour taking in France, Belgium,Germany,Austria, and Italy. our costs were as follows, Ferry £60, Camping £500, fuel £600, tolls £80, Food, trains, and spending depends on you.
We could do it cheaper if we wanted to, but average overnight stays at £12 are reasonable, we use sites, aires, and France passion stopovers. Talk to people and use recommended stays.
Aires in France, Stellplatz in Germany, And mostly accsi sites in Italy provided secure stopovers.
Yes we could save more money, our van is kitted out for wild camping, but its nice to have some creature comforts sometimes. We found a great site in Italy called OASI park in Diano marina, they do 30 days for 100€ from Oct 1st, a great bargain.
Phil and Gill
PS see you at Waldegraves Mersea in November

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
what everyone spend their hard earned cash will be different and everyone will have different amounts of free cash and if you do not take a chance sometimes you will be left behind.

bought 1st house (could not really afford it)
prices went up bought 2nd house (could just afford payments)
kids got bigger bought 3rd house (definitely could not afford it) still there
kids go to university (big negative bank balance for few years)
kids get married (even bigger negative bank balance)
been made redundant 3 times with no redundancy payment, now work for myself and employ 16 people (lots of sleepless nights)
have had some major illnesses in my life and wife had to give up work through ill health which is getting progressively worse.

SO THOUGHT BUGGER IT AND BOUGHT A MH (told the kids sorry won't be much left for you except the house) CAN NOW GO AWAY WHEN EVER WE WANT TO GET AWAY FROM THE STRESS OF WORK AND LIFE IN GENERAL.
Yes cash may be tight some months but you need to be able to enjoy yourself.
Spend what you can afford and NO MORE but ENJOY life

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Those same expensive commercial sites are £5 in January when it`s -5 degrees on site, we still go because there are indoor heated pools, evening entertainment, bowling ,restaurants, bars, indoor adventure playgrounds --(for me when too much beer)!:thumb:

£249 for the whole of October, including the school holidays :thumb:

It would cost us £25 for one trip to the local swimming pool so it's a bargain, really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back