Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
maybe I'm in a minority here.. but I just don't have the time or.. sadly.. the faith in the system in London to bother.

my view is.. they do as they like and.. normally get away with it..
... the example is cameras.. installed at great expense to help fight crime.. now used predominantly to enforce parking

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If people can't be bothered to complain to put something right then obviously the activity seen as wrong will continue. In practice, those people who can't be bothered to complain are condoning the continuance of the activity.

But then why come onto a forum like this and complain about the activity when the opportunity to do something has been rejected?

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Had a letter addressed to me this morning which is most unusual as i never get mail.So all excited i opened it to find Waltham Forest council had taken some pictures of my van at 07.48 last Friday and have charged me £65 for them.I was sat in the van the whole time waiting for my friend who was getting a coffee. Oh well lets hope they spend it on something good like getting rid of some of their obvious immigration problems, or even cleaning the dirty hole up a bit.I think not though.Sorry nearly forgot the bacon rolls we bought out of the cafe there,they were crap.

As an aside if builders have time for £65 Bacon Rolls
no wonder London Prices are expensive:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
maybe I'm in a minority here.. but I just don't have the time or.. sadly.. the faith in the system in London to bother.

... the example is cameras.. installed at great expense to help fight crime.. now used predominantly to enforce parking

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Hope the hiccups are cured soon ::bigsmile:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

.. I'm in an even smaller minority - If you park where you're not supposed to and get penalised .... Tough !!! ....:imoutahere:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Or the money. But to labour my point , who are these people that say what everyone else has to do, who has the say wether "they" fine you or not for doing some simple thing that harms no one, same as planning and other council stuff, you might want to extend your home , no ones bothered but one man or woman on the council can stop it, no use saying vote em out that might be 5 years away, the whole thing in England is going mad.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
.. I'm in an even smaller minority - If you park where you're not supposed to and get penalised .... Tough !!! ....:imoutahere:
that's fair enough to be honest....
so when they convert your street to residential parking.. ignoring objections.. and charge a fortune with no guarantee for your permit.. and they do this to roads all around continuously you may forgive people for having no faith in the system.
it's a choice where we live I suppose.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

He was in a loading bay and he was loading up with bacon sandwiches :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Or the money.
What money? It costs nothing (except paper/stamps if you do it in hard copy) to pursue a complaint, even up to ombudsman stage.

But to labour my point , who are these people that say what everyone else has to do,
They are the people we, collectively, vote in every few years. We may not agree with the result of the ballot but is there a better system than voting?

who has the say wether "they" fine you or not for doing some simple thing that harms no one,
Whether it harms no one or not may well be a matter of opinion and, all other things being equal every one of us has no more or less right to an opinion than anyone else

same as planning and other council stuff, you might want to extend your home , no ones bothered but one man or woman on the council can stop it,
Planning legislation is pretty strict and (as we saw with Scarborough parking) overturning policy established after a proper consultation and discussion process without good reason is both difficult and liable to (costly) challenge.

no use saying vote em out that might be 5 years away, the whole thing in England is going mad.
As above is there a better system than voting?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
that's fair enough to be honest....
so when they convert your street to residential parking..[HI] ignoring objections..[/HI] and charge a fortune with no guarantee for your permit.. and they do this to roads all around continuously you may forgive people for having no faith in the system.
it's a choice where we live I suppose.

If that is done improperly, people should use the complaints procedure. If people can't be bothered to do that then they have (de facto) accepted the decision.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Common sense?
You seem to think I am getting at you, that is not the case at all, but the older I get the more sceptical I seem to get.
Every point you make is right , no question but can't we have a bit more give and take in life, why should one person rule over what someone else does, the parking thing is just one thing if someone had been parked for hours in the way of trafic , fair enough confiscate his vehicle but if someone is in a loading bay for a couple of minutes picking up from a shop does that need the same treatment and parking is only one thing in life , environment , h&s , bins and most things you can think of are ruled over by some law or other

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Common sense?[/HI]
You seem to think I am getting at you, that is not the case at all, but the older I get the more sceptical I seem to get.
Every point you make is right , no question but can't we have a bit more give and take in life, why should one person rule over what someone else does, the parking thing is just one thing if someone had been parked for hours in the way of trafic , fair enough confiscate his vehicle but if someone is in a loading bay for a couple of minutes picking up from a shop does that need the same treatment and parking is only one thing in life , environment , h&s , bins and most things you can think of are ruled over by some law or other
I'm not taking it personally :Smile:

Common sense is often said not to be so common :Smile: Who decides what is common sense? I'm pretty sure most people who think differently believe they are talking common sense and that their opponent is not :Smile:

Let's say I turn up in a van to deliver something using a loading bay and somebody is parked in it so I have to block traffic until he moves. Does it matter how long he has been there? On a number of occasions I've got back to my car in a car park and found it blocked in by somebody who is "only going to be a couple of minutes" so thinks it is OK to double park instead of finding a proper spot. Is that person displaying common sense?

Yes, most things are subject to laws but that is only because so many people abuse and show lack of respect for others. A great example, in our context, is banning of motorhomes overnight. In so many places no action has been taken against people overnighting if it is the odd one, only for one night and no mess is left. Then people start turning up in numbers, stay for days or more at a time and dump their waste wherever they find convenient. Result, new laws to prevent such actions - and until people change the situation won't change.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Graham is right, take them on…

I took Anglesey County Council through their complaint process and lost, they backed themselves all the way. Me being me (stubborn old git) took my complaint to the Ombudsman and after some time, I won, they lost…
So as Graham said, if you feel strongly enough about something then do something about it.

Would it be ok if i go chop down the post with the camera on it :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Im not too worried , i will just put it onto the price of my next job. She works for the council :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Drove through Market Rasen on Friday and the 1st thing i noticed on the Welcome to Market Rasen sign was " We pride ourselves on our FREE parking" I was tempted to graffiti it with " Twinned with Waltham Forest ":ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back