expansion noise in hot weather (1 Viewer)

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, this morning we were woken in our MH by banging noises above the cab,, am I right in saying it's down to expansion to the plastic above the cab from the sudden temp change,, has anyone experienced this,,?...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Used to get it a lot in my Autotrail...
So as far as i am conserned nothing to worry about.. It was just a normal thing for us and something we got used to..

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Used to get it a lot in my Autotrail...
So as far as i am conserned nothing to worry about.. It was just a normal thing for us and something we got used to..
thank you ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
When we had the van down in Tenerife you could set your watch by the creaking and groaning of the van ( oh matron) at 9.30 every morning when the sun came over the mountain it would start to expand with the heat . It’s a bit disconcerting at first but I don’t think there is any to worry about .

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
When we had the van down in Tenerife you could set your watch by the creaking and groaning of the van ( oh matron) at 9.30 every morning when the sun came over the mountain it would start to expand with the heat . It’s a bit disconcerting at first but I don’t think there is any to worry about .
thank you

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In our PVC, we get bangs like something has been dropped on the roof when it's cooling off during the night. The bigger the day-night temperature difference, the worse it gets.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
In our PVC, we get bangs like something has been dropped on the roof when it's cooling off during the night. The bigger the day-night temperature difference, the worse it gets.
ours is the same,,thank you

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi, this morning we were woken in our MH by banging noises above the cab,, am I right in saying it's down to expansion to the plastic above the cab from the sudden temp change,, has anyone experienced this,,?...
Have you upset somebody?

Retribution can be bread thrown on your roof after dark, so the gulls will perform their dance routines in the early morning. ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, back end of our Hymer DL creaks when the sun warms it up.......I think it’s probably normal.
Yep our DL does that, only on the left-hand rear side, sounds like water dripping on it.
Doesn't have to be very hot just a bit of sun on it.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We get it all the time in the back panel of our Carthago.
My wife thinks its rabbits or the like under the van bonking their heads on the bottom of the van! ? have to reassure her everytime.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
We get it all the time in the back panel of our Carthago.
My wife thinks its rabbits or the like under the van bonking their heads on the bottom of the van! ? have to reassure her everytime.
lol,,thank you

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yeah I get it in my Autotrail but living in Scotland it doesn't happen much ?
Up looking at he roof of ours this morning (Glasgow) to see where I would fit the satellite dish and there was a couple of sizeable "bumps" across the grp habitation roof. Weren't there a week or two back so assuming expansion.
Not one where I am thinking about mounting the dish but, Lenny HB (first "missed discount" question;)) is this normal?:unsure: Guess the weight of the Snipe would hold it down anyway?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Up looking at he roof of ours this morning (Glasgow) to see where I would fit the satellite dish and there was a couple of sizeable "bumps" across the grp habitation roof. Weren't there a week or two back so assuming expansion.
Not one where I am thinking about mounting the dish but, Lenny HB (first "missed discount" question;)) is this normal?:unsure: Guess the weight of the Snipe would hold it down anyway?
I take it you have a floating GRP roof Techno will know all about it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have you upset somebody?

Retribution can be bread thrown on your roof after dark, so the gulls will perform their dance routines in the early morning. ?
Great tip, thanks!

Sometimes we hear a sound like dripping water near the top fridge vent, but it’s coming from the wall, it’s due to expansion in the heat.
Our house makes noises as it cools down at night too.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's my thinking but just looking for confirmation. Ta for highlighting to Andy.
I’ve seen bad bumps on other Rapido but not my own
Possibly because I have so much kit up there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back