Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
1AEF698A-0488-4DD9-BD12-22559EEBC7D3.jpeg
Thought funsters might be interested in this article in our local paper. Dont use this facility myself but know loads do.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
That looks like a good idea, the length limit is a bit restrictive though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I sent an email yesterday to EDDC and gt his response back. Seems the Devon Live article was a bit misleading!!

To
CC
Message body
Thank you Ann. For your information, the proposed length restriction is because the bays in that car park are adjacent to the road and anything bigger than say a VWT5 would have to overhang into the carriageway. Other motorhomes will be welcome in the other two car parks and we will ask for payment to cover the number of parking spaces they occupy so inevitably the largest vehicles may have to pay for more than one if they can’t find a bay allowing them to overhang into “dead-space”.

The article is inaccurate in a number of respects. Importantly the on-street “ban” will be a matter for Devon County Council (not East Devon District Council) to consider. On the contrary EDDC has agreed that it will welcome motorhomes (as a pilot scheme) to stay overnight in three of Exmouth’s car parks if DCC decide to go ahead and impose the ban. If following public consultation they decide not to, then we won’t take any further action ourselves.

Hope that helps?

Kind regards

Andrew

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Further on the parking exmouth etc I sent an email following a post
on this forum :

Dear Sir/Madam ,
I am writing to you regarding proposed changes that I have become aware of to Motorhome parking in Exmouth in particular . I am a motorhome traveler , and although my motorhome was not one that would be affected by your sea front parking ban due to its size, 12mtr long. It would adversely affect many of my fellow motorhomers.
I feel that some of the proposals have not been thought thru adequately probably due to lack of knowledge of the motorhome world . Smaller m/homes could fit on the sea front without difficulty , and maybe a more targeted prevention of abuse of the current system would solve many of the perceived problems, eg time limited parking eg 24hours no return within 48 . The suggested bay size in other car parks is totally inadequate at 5.3 mtrs .
The motorhome community can be a financial bonus to locations due to the money spent in the local economy , eg We eat out most evenings when touring , as do many of my friends . I also make a point of shopping frequently and local .
With some of the smaller motorhomes they have to by virtue of the limited payload of the vehicles. It is very noticeable the different approach to motorhomes taken on the mainland of Europe, where even some quite small villages will have a m/home park facility (specifically excluding caravans) for short term stops (2 to 3 days max) including water and electric (charged and some even limited free) .
I am sure you could if you were so inclined gather more information to achieve a positive outcome for locals and m/home owners wishing to visit your area by asking on the main owners forum in UK . I havent provided a link here
for security reason but it is easy found "motorhomefun.co.uk"

I have just got a reply back which seemed to be very open minded

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us and I am particularly interested in your comments about the contribution that the community make to local economies.

For your information, the proposed length restriction is because the bays in one specific car park are adjacent to the road and anything bigger than say a VWT5 would have to overhang into the carriageway. Other motorhomes will be welcome in the other two car parks and we will ask for payment to cover the number of parking spaces they occupy so inevitably the largest vehicles may have to pay for more than one if they can’t find a bay allowing them to overhang into “dead-space”.

Would it be convenient for us to have a conversation about this, I would be interested to hear your views. My telephone contact details appear below – or if you prefer, please let me know when and how would be convenient for me to call you."

I will make a contact as suggested and see if we can get a bit more info and maybe involvement from others on this forum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back