Exide ET650 Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have you tried Battery Megastore? - I have dealt with them twice buying pairs of batteries and they have supplied what I wanted with both having exactly the same labels, markings etc. I also found them more competitive than Tanya when I was buying!

Battery Megastore are also on Ebay.
Yes, they do not sell Exide batteries

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks Jock, that was the number I was using but did not realise Three were charging me 45 pence a minute to call an 0845 number.
Phil, are you saying that you phoned 01204 664151 (STD No), and yet Three still charged you £0.45 per minute? :eek: The robbing bar stewards! :mad:

Jock. :(

Edit......... Just seen your reply to @Lenny HB. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Phil, are you saying that you phoned 01204 664151 (STD No), and yet Three still charged you £0.45 per minute? :eek: The robbing bar stewards! :mad:

Jock. :(

Edit......... Just seen your reply to @Lenny HB. ;)
No! I called the 0845 number. I must have misread your post will try the )1204 number and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No! I called the 0845 number. I must have misread your post will try the )1204 number and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Must admit I would have expected 0845 to be included in your minutes, I'm on Plusnet which uses EE I called a Belgium number from France I expected to be charged but it came out of my free minutes, well pleased.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
How about Varta ? A reputable German name that has been around forever.
Yes a good brand and quite popular amongst many Funsters who have installed them on recommendation. However, Varta's own website states the LFD 90 is for low to moderate usage only. I want something with more clout and Exide who make there own batteries have produced what I believe is an exceptional Lead Acid battery.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The numbers suggest, 100Ah is the total capacity and you can use 54Ah.
Of course 54x12=650 watt hours or near enough so the G80 that is nominal 80ah is also ES900 so does that have 75ah useable? I would thunk not @still confused.com

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It gets better. Now informed the delivery/collection service used by Tanya who collected my batteries on Friday have lost the consignment and a search is underway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It gets better. Now informed the delivery/collection service used by Tanya who collected my batteries on Friday have lost the consignment and a search is underway.

This is shaping up to be the basis of a good sitcom. "The Plight of the Charge Brigade" ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However, Varta's own website states the LFD 90 is for low to moderate usage

I remember doing the research for our last hab battery, I was comparing them by size and capacity. It struck me at the time Varta was a bit down on some others for the same size so I said to myself "this is probably and honest capacity as opposed to inflated one" and bought the nominally smaller one.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Varta make there own batteries and have a good reputation for supplying quality products. Next year we will have a few members who will have had them for two years, possibly more and hopefully start to see some feedback on their performance and how well they have lasted and under what conditions. Of course if your going to be on hook up all the time the cheapest starter battery will do the job.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Latest update @Lenny HB . Today I purchased 2 x ET650 Leisure batteries through my son-in-law from a local battery supplier. I managed to get them for £115.20 each. Result! When picked up they were both reading 12.4 V so went back to the company and asked for replacements. Major embarrassment and staff bollockings flying round and MD steps in and agrees to replace and goes into warehouse, comes back and try's to offer me a different brand. No say's I, I've done my research I want a matched pair of these fully charged. He says can you come back tomorrow ? I says but you have a couple of pallets of these batteries in the back (I was here a couple of weeks ago). He says, we have has unusually warm weather and you probably don't understand how this can affect battery performance. I says, your staff tell me they check voltage levels once a month and he says No every 6 months but we need to review that now. I say's are you saying all the batteries are down to or below 12.4 V He says yes but I guarantee these will be ok when charged up and I say's you may be right but what happens a year or two down the road if mine fail. He says, I will give you an unconditional 2 year guarantee in writing and if you return within that period, providing they don't have a big hole in them or impact damage I will replace them without question. I have the written guarantee and so have kept the batteries and have them on charge. (another result!)
Also, I will monitor there performance and give feedback to forum members as best I can. @Jim Loads of members raise questions about leisure batteries on this forum and have been doing so for many years and will continue to do so for many years I.M.O. Would you consider setting up a dedicated page/home for members to discuss this topic and perhaps develop it in such a way that we can rate/discuss batteries by usage/performance, type, capacity/life etc, etc, and where members can ask and answer technical questions etc, etc,.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Latest update @Lenny HB . Today I purchased 2 x ET650 Leisure batteries through my son-in-law from a local battery supplier. I managed to get them for £115.20 each. Result! When picked up they were both reading 12.4 V so went back to the company and asked for replacements. Major embarrassment and staff bollockings flying round and MD steps in and agrees to replace and goes into warehouse, comes back and try's to offer me a different brand. No say's I, I've done my research I want a matched pair of these fully charged. He says can you come back tomorrow ? I says but you have a couple of pallets of these batteries in the back (I was here a couple of weeks ago). He says, we have has unusually warm weather and you probably don't understand how this can affect battery performance. I says, your staff tell me they check voltage levels once a month and he says No every 6 months but we need to review that now. I say's are you saying all the batteries are down to or below 12.4 V He says yes but I guarantee these will be ok when charged up and I say's you may be right but what happens a year or two down the road if mine fail. He says, I will give you an unconditional 2 year guarantee in writing and if you return within that period, providing they don't have a big hole in them or impact damage I will replace them without question. I have the written guarantee and so have kept the batteries and have them on charge. (another result!)
Also, I will monitor there performance and give feedback to forum members as best I can. @Jim Loads of members raise questions about leisure batteries on this forum and have been doing so for many years and will continue to do so for many years I.M.O. Would you consider setting up a dedicated page/home for members to discuss this topic and perhaps develop it in such a way that we can rate/discuss batteries by usage/performance, type, capacity/life etc, etc, and where members can ask and answer technical questions etc, etc,.
not an over the top question i hope , but seriously why are you obsessed with batterys?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seriously, I'm not going to tell you !
20180820_163107.jpg

heres my latest "matched pair" just been delivered straight off the digger(y);):) both showing 12.5 dont know for how long though but anyway theres twenty quid in them at the scrappy(y):)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
we have managed with 2 x 6v T105s, in the same battery space as 1 x Elecsol 220Ah, and using the same onboard charger, albeit assisted by solar charging. In 30 x years of camping, I have to say that the T105s are the best batteries we've ever had. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sad to say @JockandRita ours have failed after 19 months, I have just spoken to Tanya batteries this morning and was informed they are only guaranteed for 12 months.
I have kept them topped up at all times and as you know they are well used and kept charged.
First fault was setting the carbon monoxide alarm off then falling down to 11 volts very quickly.
Sad to say I'm having to replace before our winter trip. :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sad to say @JockandRita ours have failed after 19 months, I have just spoken to Tanya batteries this morning and was informed they are only guaranteed for 12 months.
I have kept them topped up at all times and as you know they are well used and kept charged.
First fault was setting the carbon monoxide alarm off then falling down to 11 volts very quickly.
That's not good Paul, what will you replace with?

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's not good Paul, what will you replace with?

Martin
I don't know Martin, these batteries were supposed to be the mutts nuts and last a damn sight longer than they have.
Tanya batteries " we could get a set out to you asap" Are you mad! No thanks, never again.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm really sorry to hear that Paul. :( Ours have been going strong for a number of years now, and only need topping up about twice annually. You know I wouldn't recommend anything that I thought was inferior.
I fitted mine (Jon did actually) based on the excellent advice from @jonandshell, which others have taken also, and been successful with.

I have not heard of others who have suffered failed Traction batteries in such a short space of time, in fact many folks report lengthy service from them. Have you tried speaking to Trojan, the manufacturers?

Your onboard charger, or alternator isn't overcharging by any chance? How often are you on EHU, to give the batteries their full 4 x stage conditioning charge?

Good luck sorting them out. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Last time we were on ehu Jock they set the carbon monoxide alarm off, won't hold more than 12.3v now. 13.4 when engine running then straight down to 12.3, when in use 11.4v

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have to admit guys that I have read this thread with interest but don’t understand 95% of the conversations!! Lol. I’m interested because I now need to replace my leisure batteries having inadvertently let them run right down on a rally recently (compressor fridge the culprit!) My current set up is 2 x Numax 100 ah batteries and 2 x 100 wt solar panels. The batteries are 5 years old and although they are charging up they don’t serm to be holding the charge for long. Due to physical size and where they are situated I’m looking to replace like with like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back