"Exempt Motorhomes from the new Emmission Charges." (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "Exempt Motorhomes from
the new Emmission Charges."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
it here:

The Government's response.....Link Removed

The March 2008 Budget announced further reforms of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions based Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for light passenger carrying vehicles, increasing the number of bands from six to thirteen in order to incentivise the purchase and manufacture of lower-carbon cars. Therefore, the only vehicles subject to these changes are those that have been registered in the United Kingdom as a light passenger carrying vehicle.
The November 2008 Pre-Budget Report confirms the introduction of new bands for light passenger carrying vehicles in 2009. However, it also announced that to reduce pressures on motorists during the current economic downturn there will be no significant rate changes until 2010. As a result of this announcement:
· in 2009, no driver will pay more than £5 extra; and
· in 2010, no driver will pay more than £30 extra and many will see a tax cut of up to £30. A majority of drivers will pay the same or less than in 2009.
Whether a vehicle is registered as a light passenger carrying vehicle is determined by the European Union (EU) wide vehicle type approval process. This sets vehicles into a number of different categories, one of which (M1), applies to light passenger vehicles with at least four-wheels and up to eight passenger seats. If a vehicle was type approved under category M1 it will have been given a per kilometre CO2 emissions figure and will be licensed in the appropriate taxation class based on that figure.
Currently, motorhomes are exempt from type approval. Consequently, the majority of them are not type approved under M1, and are thus not tested to determine their CO2 emissions figure. These vehicles are therefore not subject to CO2 emissions based VED. Instead, the vast majority are classified for VED purposes as Private/Light Goods Vehicle (PLG). This is based on the engine size and weight of the vehicle. Motorhomes in the PLG taxation class will either see their VED rise limited to £5 in 2009.
However, a limited number of motorhomes have been licensed in the graduated CO2 emissions based VED regime. This is because evidence of their M1 type approval was presented when the vehicles were first registered. As a consequence these vehicles were licensed as M1 light passenger vehicles according to their CO2 emissions.
Motorhomes weighing over 3,500kg (3½ tonnes) are treated under the Private Heavy Goods Vehicle (PHGV) class of VED. These motorhomes have seen their VED frozen at £165 since 2001, under successive decisions that have been linked to the basic goods rate of VED. All decisions on goods vehicle linked rates have been taken as a reflection of the important role of goods vehicles in supporting commerce. The 2008 Pre-Budget Report confirmed that all rates linked to the basic goods rate are again frozen for 2009-10.
It remains the manufacturer’s decision to offer a product under type approval category M1 prior to 2012, whereupon all new motorhomes will be required to comply.
CO2 emissions based rates of VED were introduced in 2001 to provide a signal to motorists of the environmental impacts of their potential choice, reflecting the potential that different M1 light passenger vehicles have to add to the UK’s overall CO2 emissions.

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I received the same email, its probably me but it doesn't appear to answer the question, I was under the impression that the Emissions Charges that the original partition was raised about was the LEZ, but the reply seems to be related to the Road Tax, or have I got it completely wrong again as usual:cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Braunston

There seems to be some confusion as to what this petition was related to.
As far as I can make out this reply concerns VED (Road Tax) and not LEZ (Low Emission Zone charge).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi,

I received the same email, its probably me but it doesn't appear to answer the question, I was under the impression that the Emissions Charges that the original partition was raised about was the LEZ, but the reply seems to be related to the Road Tax, or have I got it completely wrong again as usual:cry::cry:

Yes, the intention was to protest about the LEZ - but that is the responsibility of the London Mayor, not the Government to which the petition was sent. Much as it pains me to support the Government, they can/will only respond in respect of their responsibilities not those of the London Mayor (or anyone else).

A classic case of good intent mis-directed I'm afraid.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know what you're saying Graham, but it does appear the post of 'Mayor of London' is little more than a permit to do as you want and the government must stand back and not be able to intervene.

just who does run the country?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i know what you're saying Graham, but it does appear the post of 'Mayor of London' is little more than a permit to do as you want and the government must stand back and not be able to intervene.

just who does run the country?

Not so John.

The Mayor of London has delegated powers to act on certain matters within the GLA area. Just the same as the Scottish Parliament & Welsh Assembly and local councils all over the country have powers given to them within their geographic areas.

Once those powers have been granted they can only be taken away by changes in legislation.

Parliament (at Westminster) can, of course, change its mind and pass new legislation whenever it wishes - but do any of us want all our local services running from London?

Graham

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I got the same reply and as usual the politicians have wriggled out of it by not answering the question proposed. Classic tactic that treats us all as idiots.:Angry:

Hi,

:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back