Evora, Portugal ~ anyone have opinions on the city & camping (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
As the title says, can anyone give advice or opinions on visiting this small city please, maybe something that's not obvious? Also any experiences on aires or campsites would help too.

We are planning to be there this December

Thank you

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We stayed at the campsite for a couple of nights in 2015. It was OK, but we didn't get the ACSI rate that we expected. The pitches were quite muddy, and I wouldn't fancy staying there in the rain.
It was an easy walk into the city. We saw some vans parked up on a car park close to the city walls, so I imagine you could overnight there.
We were a bit disappointed with the city itself, but the weather was dull, which made it quite gloomy. There are lots of monuments to visit, but all have an entrance fee, including the cathedral. Can work out quite expensive.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Evora is a gorgeous place with great views from the top of the town.

Quite "touristy" at weekends.

I always spend the night on the car park by the town wall. (Not possible on market days.)

One of my favourite Chinese Restaurants just inside the wall.

Only went up the hill once with my Princess!

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've stayed there a couple of times on the campsite just outside the ring road - an easy 15min walk but there is a regular bus service from outside the site. The first time they were just clearing up after a heavy storm and some of the pitches were a bit damp but useable. The second time it was much warmer and dryer. All the facilities were satisfactory but nothing special and the site staff friendly.
The town itself is quite compact and if you visit the TI just off the main square you can get a leaflet showing a tour of all the best bits. In our opinion it doesn't have the attraction of places like Lisbon or Porto but is worth a visit nonetheless.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Fine place to see the parking on the outside of the wall is ok felt safe no problem.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
All sounds very positive, thanks everyone. Obviously got to get to the top of the hill as per JJ, sounds like a Funster challenge.

Deleted User
May not rock your boat, however, Evora is the spiritual capital of Neolithic Portugal with many interesting sites within a few miles of the walled city. Main camp site is well equipped and the town itself has a good choice of bars and restaurants open even through winter

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
May not rock your boat, however, Evora is the spiritual capital of Neolithic Portugal with many interesting sites within a few miles of the walled city. Main camp site is well equipped and the town itself has a good choice of bars and restaurants open even through winter

Not sure if it is for us but it sounds interesting, thanks

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Yes -it's a great old Roman city with lots of great architecture and a Roman temple.

Have a look in the Chapel of the Bones too!

Camping Orbitur on the ring road is fine too - and cheaper than a cheap ACSI site

Big Continente supermarket within 5 mins walk from the campsite ⛺

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Camping Orbitur suited us fine - nice site, not expensive and handy for the city :)

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Yes, followed the recommendations up for Camping Orbitur and have a price for 3 nights with electric at 57.50 €. Think this is reasonable for a campsite with facilities as it allows us to visit the big market without having to think if we are in the wrong place on the wrong day.
Looks like plenty to do in and around Evora, thanks for all the info.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I worked just NE of Evora (well about 50K), in a village called Vila Viçosa, near Borba in the late 1990s - prospecting for gold (and found a few promising sniffs.
A great place - good food, fantastic wine.
Vils Viçosa is a huge marble producing area - with some awesome marble quarries 100’s of metres deep - literally right over a dry stone wall off the main road - quite spectacular - the spoil heaps of gange marble not so pretty.

Try and find a good Tasca (local restaurant often with enormous (6ft) clay Tascas of local wine from the co-operatives) and the local Borba Reserve wine is very good - they don’t export much - they keep the good stuff for themselves!

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I worked just NE of Evora (well about 50K), in a village called Vila Viçosa, near Borba in the late 1990s - prospecting for gold (and found a few promising sniffs.

That must look good on your CV! Were you in heaven? finding gold and fantastic local wine. As I read it Dylan singing ' The days of '49 ' started going through my head.

Thanks for the info, another Funster challenge to find some Borba Reserve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back