Evening all...newbie advice please (1 Viewer)

MmmmDonuts

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Laika X700
Exp
Hello all,

I've joined the MH/RV club today with the purchase of a 2008 Laika X700 :D

I was a little bit concerned about declaring what vehicle until I solicited some more advice from here, but we've already bitten the bullet and whether it's considered a pile of crap or a decent set of wheels, it's ours now and we have to like it!

But in all seriousness - what is the general opinion of Laika? It's on a 350LT Ford chassis, feels stable, easy to handle with good torque and I feel comfortable driving it. We looked at quite a few others (Bessacarr and Eldis to name just two) but I like the layout of the interior, it's decor/upholstery and that it has a 2.4 Ford lump rather than Fiat Ducato.

I had a dealer make a follow up call to see if I wanted the Bessacarr but I said we were going for the Laika. He really dismissed it saying they don't have any on their forecourt and there's a good reason why. It sounded like sour grapes as he wouldn't tell me why, but when really pushed said that we won't find spares for it (I found Southdowns, called their service/spares dept and they said it wasn't a problem at all).

So all that aside, any opinions or warnings?

Many thanks!

OP
OP
M

MmmmDonuts

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Laika X700
Exp
Good choice. One of the best makes in Europe. Much better (and more expensive when new) than the alternatives you looked at.

WOOO HOOO !!

Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear.

I won't ever go back to that dealer for a future purchase as I wanted genuine advice and not just a poor sales tactic.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
great choice of brand very bad choice of base vehicle. Transits are far too easy to steal unless you change the locks and fit a lock to the OBD port

takes about 60 seconds to steal otherwise with tools sold legally on the internet for not much money. Under £20 for what amounts to a master key and about £50 for a lead and software to bypass the immobiliser

OP
OP
M

MmmmDonuts

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Laika X700
Exp
great choice of brand very bad choice of base vehicle. Transits are far too easy to steal unless you change the locks and fit a lock to the OBD port

takes about 60 seconds to steal otherwise with tools sold legally on the internet for not much money. Under £20 for what amounts to a master key and about £50 for a lead and software to bypass the immobiliser

Interesting - I didn't know that.

You've now set me off Googling Transit security and what to do about it....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Interesting - I didn't know that.

You've now set me off Googling Transit security and what to do about it....
search this forum for pretty much all you need to know. including members who have fitted the new locks etc and videos of actual motorhomes being stolen caught on cctv

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
Do join up as a full member and you will be able to carry on getting great advice like that above.:)
P.s. You might not be able to search unless you do.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:welco:

Best get your hand in your pocket and fork out for your subs now :D

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN. I wouldn't worry too. Much we have a 2001 Laika Ecovip 7r and love it. Had it 5 years now and never let us down. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back