Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Why is this scaremongering when it's been confirmed by 2 members of this site alone if u have nothing better to do or add to this thread go playing somewhere else

Maybe you should read posts a couple of times before you press the Post Reply button.

Didn't say it wasn't happening I said the media blow it out of proportion which in my book is scaremongering.

As for nothing to add my advice was too use a tiny amount of common sense to keep yourself safe. Also added a bit of light hearted comedy about my wife being available for security. Obviously went over your head.

As for going too play somewhere else, well if the tone of your post is anything to go by maybe I should, but then again maybe I wont after all we're all allowed an opinion not just you. . :lips::moon2::moon2: :RollEyes:

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
"Rules of the Sea":Eeek:

Not amusing Herman, even in jest, advocating murder does not make me laugh and is an insult to seafarers worldwide..

Stowaways like illegals are a fact of life. The hardest part can be proving where they came from, so as to send them back. They almost never have papers so unless they tell you where they are from it is very difficult to determine where to return them.

I had 2 young Moroccan stowaways board in Safi, Morocco about 15 years ago. We found them after 2 days at sea and then managed to get them off the ship officially in UK and it cost my company about £3000 in costs, way back then. We fed them well and even gave them a party when leaving. I could converse with them in French. they were actually very nice polite and friendly young men, and it is easy to see why they go to the lengths they do, just in the hope of a better life.

We used to load Acid regularly in Calais until a few years ago. There were always illegal immigrants on the quayside which was then open and unsecured. We always put a note and our deck guys always told everyone on the quays we were sailing for Murmansk, Russia, when we were actually going to UK. No one ever boarded.

Two weeks ago, whilst I was on leave, my ship had 2 Moroccans get onboard in Cueta. They were found 2 hours after sailing. The stowaways thought the ship was going to Malaga when in fact it had just come from Malaga and was going to Morocco. The ship was turned around and they were landed back in Cueta with no problems next morning.

A bit of compassion and humility never goes amiss. just be thankful that because of where you were lucky enough to be born, you do not find yourself in their situation.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Look, I have nothing personal against you but just give it a thought for a minute..... If French had to stop all the people standing by our borders to go to another country (wherever it is, fields, Aires), we would stop all the Brits going down to Spain, Portugal, or even ...mmmm let me think... Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands , Sweden ... and probably many other countries but as you all know I'm rubbish at history geography Politics and computers (in fact it would be easier to say what I'm good at.....and I don't want to hear any naughty comments!:sneaky:) AND the other way round, like Germans going to France, or Spanish ... etc.... !What I mean is why on earth do you want the French government to bother about people who don't want to stay on the French territory? They have enough work with the ones who want to stay here... and .... I've heard a lot of Brits want to come and live here.... I wonder what the government is going to do about this! ??? :p Anyway Hollande is far too busy entertaining us with all his women.

PS: Sorry if someone said all this before ... I didn't read all the posts .... anyway this is a French point of view
Likewise, nothing personnel but you are slightly wrong, all the English , German and whoever you state, actually have the correct paperwork to go where they like and have paid to be on the ferry or tunnel and are not looking for the French and Spanish to keep them with handouts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just give your van a quick spray underneath with Easy Start before you get on the boat, jobs a good ’un.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
these illegal immigrants are resourceful. How long before the next one drops off the bottom of a van clutching a catalytic converter

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Oh really?

I am sure no one actually needs to know the description you would use... ;)

JJ :cool:
That's why I didn't give it ......besides it's much more fun for each individual to imagine their own description

God knows they could do with some fun round here

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Likewise, nothing personnel but you are slightly wrong, all the English , German and whoever you state, actually have the correct paperwork to go where they like and have paid to be on the ferry or tunnel and are not looking for the French and Spanish to keep them with handouts

You are very true about the paperwork,, still ... all these desperate people would probably stand somewhere else if they were not promised Eldorado in the UK... which France used to do as well, and then stopped.
I don't think France can change UK's options. On the other hand when Police has been told to chase them (I can't remember when this was) the French have been called all names. I am very happy I am not involved in Politics ... quite a few things on both wings make me sick...

And quite happy it doesn't interfere with the friendship between me and my funsters friends ;)

Amicalement to you Margaret

Frankie:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
That's where they're going wrong ....someone needs to put a sign up and tell them eldorado was in Spain .....fictional of course but definitely not in the UK

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't think France can change UK's options.

Or the other way round.

It's not wholly a French problem, it's not wholly a UK problem. It's a pan-European problem.

Until systems for immigrants and refugees are standardised throughout Europe there will always be one place that is seen to be more attractive than anywhere else.......

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Maybe you should read posts a couple of times before you press the Post Reply button.

Didn't say it wasn't happening I said the media blow it out of proportion which in my book is scaremongering.

As for nothing to add my advice was too use a tiny amount of common sense to keep yourself safe. Also added a bit of light hearted comedy about my wife being available for security. Obviously went over your head.

As for going too play somewhere else, well if the tone of your post is anything to go by maybe I should, but then again maybe I wont after all we're all allowed an opinion not just you. . :lips::moon2::moon2: :RollEyes:

yes we do all have a right to a opinion just that mine is that you are wrong to call this scaremongering as for the joke about your wife yeah right i didnt bother going that far the 1st part was enough for me

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Look, I have nothing personal against you but just give it a thought for a minute..... If French had to stop all the people standing by our borders to go to another country (wherever it is, fields, Aires), we would stop all the Brits going down to Spain, Portugal, or even ...mmmm let me think... Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands , Sweden ... and probably many other countries but as you all know I'm rubbish at history geography Politics and computers (in fact it would be easier to say what I'm good at.....and I don't want to hear any naughty comments!:sneaky:) AND the other way round, like Germans going to France, or Spanish ... etc.... !What I mean is why on earth do you want the French government to bother about people who don't want to stay on the French territory? They have enough work with the ones who want to stay here... and .... I've heard a lot of Brits want to come and live here.... I wonder what the government is going to do about this! ??? :p Anyway Hollande is far too busy entertaining us with all his women.

PS: Sorry if someone said all this before ... I didn't read all the posts .... anyway this is a French point of view
The immigrants are arriving in France somewhere else. Perhaps that point of arrival in France could be tackled to try and prevent them arriving en mass at Calais. Seems the whole of Europe should tackle this. France CANNOT put the whole blame on UK. Mind you our Government have also been too slow to act as this has been going on for years.

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Rita you could park in the check-in booth jump out with the dogs and walk to pet area, I bet they would do something then if everyone with pets did that, after all they said security starts at check-in no in the pet area :)

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
If they cut the bushes down you would see them because they would have nowhere to hide alternatively put a high fence in front of the bushes and a couple of secutity guards and warning notices , or another simple solution is for customs to ask a simple question have you been in the pets area if the answer is yes then they should conduct a search they know the area is not secure we and most others don't simple remedies to a serious problem

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Came back today via tunnel and pet control this pm.
We saw no sign of migrants at all and we were surprised at the lack of checks at the French and British passport controls - the first just nodded us through and the second just looked at the passports. No checking for explosives as they have done in the past and nobody was pulled over when we went through.
But, worryingly, at the gas bottle check they didn't even come out of the cabin nor ask us if we had turned off the gas!:frowny:

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Yes security is sadly lacking on the French side. Like you they often don't check we have turned off our gas bottles. Nor do they check for explosives or look inside the van or under! Beggars belief really.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I returned on Wednesday just prior to the storming of the Calais Port. We had been to the Calais Aire for the frites (Friterie de Nation) :makeup: On the way to the ferry we saw 3 PEOPLE scaling the fence. The Police had closed the roundabout below the main road so we had to drive past the steel works to the next roundabout. The PEOPLE had now ran into the road and caused lorries to stop. We witnessed PEOPLE then gaining entry to said lorries. The Police had switched lanes so lorries were sent down to the right whilst non-commercial were sent straight on using the outside lane. As the lorries were queueing for entry to the Port, this then gave the PEOPLE more chances to enter lorries. I reached Passport control where there was a long time checking Passports but no one questioned me or inspected my Motorhome!!!
My dog was cleared for travel by P and O by asking me to scan him so we never left the vehicle.
Whilst waiting for the ferry I checked everywhere I could including the gas locker and the roof.
I didn't see anyone else bother.
Once back in England I saw one of the said PEOPLE walking towards ?? Dover. He was walking towards the oncoming traffic with his left side to the Armco. This was just prior to a layby where there were some Polish lorries.
I refuse to let events of any nature scare me and put me off. I was not gassed, threatened, robbed or boarded.
I stayed overnight in Cite Europe and Calais Beach. I drove around Calais and walked into the market as well.
There must be places where I am at risk in Britain?

The worst experience was an impatient Frenchman in a Supermarket car-park who banged on my bonnet twice, then the side window then opening the habitation door. Luckily my little boy (pictured) stood there and the man shut it quicker than he opened it. Then I let everyone out in front of me and proceeded at a sensible speed thereafter.:roflmto:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
But they are British border control / customs not French that's why I don't understand why they are so lax

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Probably understaffed, feeling underpaid and most effort is directed at the lorries.

I daresay they are under pressure from the french and the ferry companies to avoid ferry delays and queues on the french roads.

However its not good enough!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The UK is to offer France the security fences used at the Nato summit in Newport to help tackle migrants trying to get into the country illegally from Calais, the immigration minister says.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Rita you could park in the check-in booth jump out with the dogs and walk to pet area, I bet they would do something then if everyone with pets did that, after all they said security starts at check-in no in the pet area :)

yes they will probably stop everyone taking pets on-board.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Like I've said before all border control have to do when you hand them your passport is ask a simple question "have you been to the pet passport area " if the answer is yes they search your van

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Anyway you Englanders will not need to worry if Scotland gets independence Miliband (if elected) is going to set up border posts to keep those heathens north of the border out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back