Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I have just looked at using the Eurotunnel for our next trip. They want £17 for each dog in the van, yet there is nothing in the way of paperwork that they need to do.

Does anyone just not bother declaring their dogs on the way out? After all what business it of Eurotunnel what pets you have in your van

Kevin

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
documentation is checked on the return journey. To ensure your dog has have the correct treatment within the prescribed dates.

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Yes I know that but we won't come back on the tunnel. I know they have work to do in the ferry links and cant see a problem with paying for that service, but going out theres no restriction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It'll be something to do with net immigration. A French poodle, for example, leaving the country counts as one less foreigner here. Blame UKIP. :)

PS. To be fair they should charge more when a British breed leaves, foreign breeds should free, and the reverse of course on return.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My Ferry charge nothing to France but DOUBLE on return to England for dogs.
When comparing return costs I found although P & O were slightly dearer for the MH they were cheaper overall as they only charge single rate for dog on return.
So out on My Ferry, back on P & O.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You might get away with it. It depends if you want to risk it for the sake of a few quid.

When your boarding pass prints you hang it in your windscreen. It says on it if you are travelling with dogs.

If someone spots that you have dogs with you but the pass says you haven't paid for them they just won't let you travel and you will lose the cost of the fare. So really you're gambling the whole cost of the fare against an extra £17 or whatever. Up to you really.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We returned through the tunnel last Sunday, and I was surprised how lax security seemed. While I saw them opening and checking the boots of cars, they just asked us if there was just 2 of us and for confirmation that we had no pets

We did wonder if they use technology to screen for body heat as you queue to load

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We asked the question why the charge.

We were told it is not a charge by the Ferry Company but by DEFRA to help fund the Pet Passport scheme. The money goes to the Gov Department not the Ferry/Tunnel operator.

That is why you cannot use Tesco vouchers to pay for your Pet when travelling through the tunnel.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
iy is likely that you will get spotted as we travelled over 3 weeks ago wnd as normal we were pulled to one side for the gas check. the difference this time was that the attendant checked and signed the boarding pass. of course the dog wanted to say hello as she reached in for it.

unless you are going to hide the dog, and risk being accused of having something to hide.

i agree its a rip off but for £17 are you going to risk spoiling your break.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
i agree its a rip off but for £17 are you going to risk spoiling your break.

That’s about the size of it.

Four of us went through the tunnel a couple of weeks ago carrying firearms (on the way to a competition in France). The only question we were asked was “do you have gas on board”. The answer was “no” and off we went.

If we had been asked if we had anything to declare, the answer may have been different (although we had the correct paperwork to back up our items).

To try and get a pet through without openly declaring it would be unwise, in my opinion. All vehicles are scanned for heat signatures, so you would be +1 which would not go down well.

Brian

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
What weapons did u take as have been considering taking my shot guns to my friends place in France just not sure the rules

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
What weapons did u take as have been considering taking my shot guns to my friends place in France just not sure the rules

The firearms were small bore rifles (.22lr). Documentation needed is a FAC (Firearms Certificate), a European Firearms Certificate and a letter showing the invitation to the competiton.

I think it's different for shotguns, I took one to Portugal many years ago, from memory you only needed your shotgun license. But you would be better checking that out with plod, I am way out of date with that.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back