Eurotunnel to Chamonix. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We are visiting Chamonix next year and have five days to meander down there from the tunnel.
Would like to stay off toll roads but don't mind the odd one if it makes the journey easier.
Looked on Google maps and the route is showing through Belgium into Luxembourg and down through Nancy. This looks straight forward but there's a few options for the last leg of the journey from Nancy to Chamonix.
Can anyone advise me what they consider to be the best route and if it's worth using any toll roads ?
Thanks in advance.

Deleted User
We have used both routes toll and D roads.

If you want the non toll route then I would advise

Nancy - Epinal - Vesoul - Besanćon - Poligny - Lons le saunier - Bourge en Bresse.

Then the motorway to Chamonix (Autoroute Blanc)

If you get fed up of the D roads you can jump on the motorway any time after poligny (they run more or less parallel with motorway)

Last bit of toll is much easier imo

There is an alternate from Besanćon through the Jura mountains but the last bit to Geneva was a pain in the arris last time we did that route.

Enjoy!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We went this summer. Our route was:

Watten (due to an afternoon train) - Mareuil sur Ay - Froncles - Nantua - La Balme de Sellingy (Annecy was gridlocked so abandoned it) - Chamonix

Nantua is a little bit of a detour but well worth it. One of the most beautiful locations for an aire I've seen, right beside a lovely blue lake, surrounded my mountains. It's off the obvious routes so doesn't get too busy. This was taken from beside my van.

IMG_0042.jpg

I never worry about toll roads or not, just let the satnav get on with it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The nice thing about not using the tolls roads is you see more of France and sometimes come across a nice aire you would never have seen/considered if on the toll road. Unless you are in a hurry of course.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Via the Jura Mountains is nice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.