Eurotunnel return - Flexi ticket?? (1 Viewer)

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi All,
We are thinking of sneaking a three week tour to Spain in next month.
We will be using the tunnel.
We will buy a standard ticket going out as not much can go wrong en route to the tunnel (famous last words!)
However on the return journey a flexi ticket would be great just in case we hit any problems driving thru Spain and France (sure the weather will be rubbish in France)
I remember on previous trips that the return time and date is always on your mind.
A flexi ticket tho is over double the standard price.
So my question is-
Could we just book the outward journey and book the return journey when we are within striking distance of Calais? Or, can you actually just arrive at Calais and book then? I presume they want to discourage this and make it more expensive BUT would the inflated price on the day still be cheaper than buying a flexi ticket in the first place?

I’m sure this question has been asked before but I can’t find any posts on it.

Thanks for any advice
Steve

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We came home a few days early last year and we rang Eurotunnel about 48 hours before we wanted a crossing.

They gave us a new time for our crossing and as it was approximately the same time of the day we weren't charged extra.

Hope this helps.

?

OP
OP
S

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks,
That does help.

We’ll be travelling back in December so I would have thought they would be more flexible than it being in July.
So the golden question I suppose is could we book a return journey the day before the travel date. If so we might as well just do that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We only ever book our outward crossing the go online a week or so before returning and book a crossing never had a problem in last seven years.?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I think the key thing is to change at least a day before - we’ve got down there earlier than expected on the outbound journey and rung up to see if we can change from the following morning. It would have cost over £100 to change at such short notice, even though the crossing price was similar.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If you are not going to book a return make sure it is ok with your travel insurance. A lot are invalid if a return is not booked.
I read a similar warning before, so I asked Comfort when I renewed my policy but was told they weren't interested in when I booked my crossings, only that I used a scheduled service.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I think the key thing is to change at least a day before - we’ve got down there earlier than expected on the outbound journey and rung up to see if we can change from the following morning. It would have cost over £100 to change at such short notice, even though the crossing price was similar.

This is not our experience at all. We always book a return ticket, as Lenny said it's an insurance issue, however we will change the date/time towards the end of our trip and again as we get closer to Calais. On Tuesday this week we phoned ET from a 1/2 drive away to change the final time. This does not cost any extra unless the change takes you into "peak" travel time. Have done this many, many times

We just have a standard, frequent traveller tickets.

Mick

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I read a similar warning before, so I asked Comfort when I renewed my policy but was told they weren't interested in when I booked my crossings, only that I used a scheduled service.

I think the post from Lenny refers to personal health travel insurance. I know our insurers won’t cover us unless we have a return booked.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes I was referring to personal health insurance, we rely on Lloyds Banks nothing in their T&C but a lot do require a return booked.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The same with breakdown cover. I tried to book breakdown cover for our son when he was coming down to see us in Portugal, they would not do it on a one way, he had to have a return ticket. So double check you are covered if you don’t have a return booked.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
This is not our experience at all. We always book a return ticket, as Lenny said it's an insurance issue, however we will change the date/time towards the end of our trip and again as we get closer to Calais. On Tuesday this week we phoned ET from a 1/2 drive away to change the final time. This does not cost any extra unless the change takes you into "peak" travel time. Have done this many, many times

We just have a standard, frequent traveller tickets.

Mick
I think you are in a different position to the OP because you have a frequent traveller account - which we also have - and it provides a fixed price, regardless of travel time or date (with the exception of peak hours).

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
As long as you change within the same off peak/ peak period then there should be no difference in price. I have just moved a crossing back to 30 April next year, cost me £1 due to a price rise but that was all. Sadly hospital treatment means I cant use it so just getting it out the way.
As has already been said 24hrs notice is the key

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I think you are in a different position to the OP because you have a frequent traveller account - which we also have - and it provides a fixed price, regardless of travel time or date (with the exception of peak hours).

Don't think so Mike as it also worked when buying individual tickets when taking the Harleys on ET.

Mick

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just to back up comments above ref TRAVEL INSURANCE.. Some have a clause that a return crossing must be booked..
Arriving on the day at the ferry / tunnel is the worst you can do, they have you by the googlies. Book at very minimum 24 hours before online.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
One of the things that makes a difference to prices is the time of crossing. As others have said peak or off peak.
The best prices appear to be for crossing from the UK after 4pm and returning before 1pm (local).
A early morning crossing to France, as many do to get an early start, takes you into the most expensive price bracket.
Go late afternoon and stop for the night on the other side. Reverse that when returning.

Richard

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When phoning Eurotunnel be careful to use the landline number in my photo below and not the 0870 number widely publicised on their website. This caught me out back in June when quickly wanting to cancel a crossing due to finding a water leak. Cost me over £5 for a quick call.
The landline one is included in your phone contract.
D20DDAA7-114F-438B-80E3-40134E19F106.jpeg

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think so Mike as it also worked when buying individual tickets when taking the Harleys on ET.

Mick
Mick, I agree Eurotunnel is generally very flexible when it comes to changing crossings, whether frequent traveller ticket or not. But I believe Frequent Traveller tickets do provide absolute certainly regarding no price adjustment relating to changes. Just a personal view.

Cheers, Mike

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On the few occasions I have grudgingly used the tunnel & always arrived early I have never been offered alternative trains that haven't required me to pay.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On the few occasions I have grudgingly used the tunnel & always arrived early I have never been offered alternative trains that haven't required me to pay.
We usually arrive early and have always been offered an earlier crossing at no charge except once when they were extra busy. Perhaps because we aren't grudging, and always use the tunnel because of the dogs.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
If I were you, I'd get Comfort to tell you that in writing, with particular reference to repatriating the vehicle following a breakdown abroad. You don't want to be having that conversation with them when you have broken down, as I did.

The issue was that, without a return trip booked, they couldn't tell whether repairs could be competed before the return trip, so couldn't decide whether to repatriate the vehicle.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The issue was that, without a return trip booked, they couldn't tell whether repairs could be competed before the return trip, so couldn't decide whether to repatriate the vehicle.
There would only be one place repairs were going to be done & that is at my home.So it would always need recovering.

In spain my vehicle is covered for recovery anywhere in Europe , including the UK, as part of the insurance. not that I've ever used it as I use adac. Unlike the UK ,anywhere in europe is just classed as normal. No one asks whether you are 'on a trip/vacation/etc'. you've insured a vehicle for whatever & it is covered .

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If I were you, I'd get Comfort to tell you that in writing, with particular reference to repatriating the vehicle following a breakdown abroad. You don't want to be having that conversation with them when you have broken down, as I did.

I don't use Comfort for my breakdown insurance.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Steve have you considered a frequent traveller account as each crossing is then 55 and can be changed right up to the actual crossing time, it might be a lot cheaper and you could share the account with somebody else if you would not use all 10 crossings in the year.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks for saying that, I thought seeing other threads commenting on the need for advance return booking it meant re the vehicle insurance and I phoned Comfort who said to them it didn't matter; we'll check with our personal travel insurers now and dump them if necessary.

Yes I was referring to personal health insurance, we rely on Lloyds Banks nothing in their T&C but a lot do require a return booked.
)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back