LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
It's fine right now. Don't let the scaremongers put you off.

We used it travelling out three weeks ago when the alleged "problems" were at their peak and back last week. We had no problems whatsoever apart from a bit of a delay on the A20 diversion but that was my fault because I should have known and used the M2/A2 route. On the French side we saw a few migrants wandering around but you always see a few.

There really is nothing to worry about.

This is correct, my daughter/son in law went over when the trouble was at its worst, they saw nothing, they were given an earler train than booked and coming home were only delayed due to panic queing for check in.

Reactions: JJ

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Not from my Calculations.

I think the 'bloody extortionate' claim was from someone wanting to book a DOG FRIENDLY cabin.......you don't mention dogs in your pricing and I think that's where the big price difference is.

Edited: just realised someone has already pointed this out!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks...new I could rely on you sweetie..,think this thread has gone astray!

Changed tunnel from Wednesday to Tuesday morning as made good time from Italy. Have had no warnings of delays... So looking good we hope!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
How about over 7m and over 3m with a dog...
Not so attractive ... and to be honest,as above I'd rather drive. I'm happier in the van.. as is the dog. If I needed to I could get there in a similar time driving.
Advanced bookings for eurotunnel frequent traveller at £43 plus dog each way

With the dog in a Pet Cabin, £370 for 2 adults, £412 for 4 + pet one way.

With the dog in a Pet Cabin £349 economie

With the dog in a kennel £309 CF

TM

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With the dog in a Pet Cabin, £370 for 2 adults, £412 for 4 + pet one way.

With the dog in a Pet Cabin £349 economie

With the dog in a kennel £309 CF

TM

Link to wherever you've found those prices please. I'm not doubting you but they bear no relation whatsoever to the rates Brittany Ferries own website have just quoted me for us to travel. The dates used are random but based on the premise that we were going to winter in Spain.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-booking-303?st=f4

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 07.43.19.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just got to tunnel at Calais. Very quiet, no ques, no dramas and getting scheduled train in 10 mins. Seems all the
Cockups on UK side

Rained all night and it still is.....grey miserable and cold..20 deg drop in temps from Italy:(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Update. Section of m20 closed due to earlier accident:(

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Link to wherever you've found those prices please. I'm not doubting you but they bear no relation whatsoever to the rates Brittany Ferries own website have just quoted me for us to travel. The dates used are random but based on the premise that we were going to winter in Spain.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-booking-303?st=f4

View attachment 72631

That is a lot: we have Portsmouth - Santander, booked, outward 1st week December in 4 berth outside Club class cabin ( Pont Aven)and return 1st week March with outside 2 berth cabin, ( Cap Finistere) 6.5 m motorhome and 2 adults and all for £847 total. We booked direct via Brittany Ferries on the day that bookings opened for December.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Why oh why do the police in the UK always close motorways when there is an accident? This is a serious question not a moan.

In the UK we live near the A12. Some weeks it's closed more often than it's open (ok slight exaggeration but it's so frequent it feels like it). The M6 is often closed nowadays as with other motorways on a regular basis ( M20 and M25 spring to mind ).
We also travel a fair amount for business and pleasure in France, neighbouring countries in Continental Europe and have of course sat in hold-ups there too. It's usually our own fault for travelling either in rush hour or during peak holiday weekends or sometimes accidents, but I can't remember a motorway closure anywhere, just a queue.

Do they do something different in the UK?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Do they do something different in the UK?

I can't remember when last we were affected by a motorway closure. Queues yes and, living close to the A34 ( a motorway in all but infrastructure) we have plenty of those.

Possibly the UK police investigate the scene of an accident more thoroughly than those of our European neighbours and need the site kept free of " contamination" ? Could this be due to insurance claims being dealt with differently ? It might be that we are concerned more with the possible dangers to those investigating a crash or working on the road and feel the need to close it ?

There have been times however when we've seen, on the news, motorways closed due to accidents and it seems so obvious that the other carriageway could be divided, a contraflow system marked out with cones, the central barrier opened ( and there are parts of them that do open) and, however slowly, traffic able to continue in both directions. You're right, it doesn't seem to happen in case of accident, only when there are long term road works.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Apparently there was another death in the tunnel last night

Latest Travel Information

• For customers travelling today via our UK Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to an incident in the Tunnel which is in the process of being resolved. There is a waiting time of approximately 60 minutes on the terminal.
    We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.
    For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to an incident on the terminal which is in the process of being resolved. There is a waiting time of approximately 60 minutes on the terminal.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00. (Calls cost up to 7p/min + your phone company's access charge )
    Last update: 16/10/2015 - 08:58 (GMT +1hr)

Reactions: DBK

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm with nic on the travelling wit pets ,we have three small dogs and there's no way that I'm going to coup them up for any length of time .
I'll drive the long route ,to put it into a clearer perspective,for those who don't have dogs , it's a bit like being expected to leave your children in your Mh for the duration of the journey
I do enjoy a good sail ,I've worked on ships and owned my own yacht ,I can stare at the sea and sky for days on end ,but to leave my pooches couped up is a no no

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
We were stuck in the tunnel for nearly an hour last Saturday when coming home from France. They said it was due to a suspected broken rail but the power in our train kept going on and off so not really sure what the problem was. They also tried to squeeze us onto a full train, got to the loading ramp only for them to discover that there wasn't any room left for our little Auto-Trail. Got put on the next one which then stopped 1/2 way through.
That aside the tunnel service was superb, were offered an earlier train both ways, no problems with any 'swarms' at Calais. Good trip all told.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
  • Latest Travel Information

• For customers travelling today via our UK Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to a breach of our terminal boundaries. There is a waiting time of approximately 2 hours on the terminal. We regret that we are currently unable to sell tickets to non reserved customers.
    For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating with some timetable disruption, this is due to a breach of our terminal boundaries. There is a waiting time of approximately 30 minutes on the terminal.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00. (Calls cost up to 7p/min + your phone company's access charge )
    Last update: 16/10/2015 - 12:08 (GMT +1hr)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Viewed purely from a business perspective for Eurotunnel this unsolvable problem is a disaster!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We came through from France yesterday morning. Only saw a few criminals. Hold up was about 30 mins. Not really a problem. They do seem to get the delays sorted pretty quickly but then it is in their interest to do so. I will still use them next time. The trucks had a longer delay about 3 hours I think.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
The illegals at Calais, have shown that they are up for a fight,the French are missing a trick here,put them on a train down to Marseilles.... recruits for the Foriegn Legion. Sorted,three meals a day and a clean bed,roof over your head,(mmmmm Sometimes LOL) and "All for one,and one for all".........
Tea Bag

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Another killed by HT on top of trains.
Migrants body said there should be a memorial plaque for those that died, I think a notice in Arabic , Farsi etc would be more use as they do not have the concept of Very high voltage jumping a metre across to them. At least if it was not ONLY in French it would help.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thank god your entitled to compensation for delays on the ferries as you are on airlines. Not sure about the tunnel but would think this is covered by the same scheme. I got half my ferry crossing fare returned for being delayed by two hours earlier this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back