Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What's the cost of these ferrys to santander then .. I'm not considering it but it would be interesting to know. I was under the impression it was around the £800 mark... that may have been a myth though tbh

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What's the cost of these ferrys to santander then .. I'm not considering it but it would be interesting to know. I was under the impression it was around the £800 mark... that may have been a myth though tbh
We went Plymouth - Santander this April, returning in June and it was about £850 for the two of us, 6.5m MH and a 4 berth cabin, which are only a little more than a 2 berth but it means I don't have to climb a ladder to go to bed. However, I am in the BF club so that is after the 30% discount.
And we saw two Sperm Whales on the way out this year! They made the trip worth it, and there were some dolphins too.

Last edited:

Deleted User

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-booking-303?oifmode=false&pensionermode=false

Put your details in and find out, 10% off the travel costs with a discount code, lots of members on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sharing tunnel frequent traveler costs £108 return any time of year, any size camper. Going to be late? call and change. I have changed a crossing 5 times in the past..,there is no charge

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Portsmouth to Caen in October - motorhome, 3 persons & 2 dogs £164 each way without any loyalty club discounts - dogs stay in vehicle

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most criticise the tunnel for late charges, but the simple fix for this is book a crossing for about four hours after you hope to get there, we usually book around 16.30 and hope to get there lunch timeish, if we don't manage to get an earlier crossing we just sit and have dinner and relax and wait for our booked one , simples!
No rushing and if we do get held up should still get there on time.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Most criticise the tunnel for late charges, but the simple fix for this is book a crossing for about four hours after you hope to get there, we usually book around 16.30 and hope to get there lunch timeish, if we don't manage to get an earlier crossing we just sit and have dinner and relax and wait for our booked one , simples!
No rushing and if we do get held up should still get there on time.
Exactly how we like to do things ourselves....Hate being late and hate even more, rushing... not to be late!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
duplicate post

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Yesterdaydaughter was due on the 11:15 am train and was 45 mins delayed this was due to ques at check in, I think people getting to the check early,

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The advantage of the Tunnel for us is that you can pay for it by using Tesco vouchers. But for a change, next year we are doing UK to Santander ferry. Wonder if we can lobby Tesco to get vouchers organised for that ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yesterdaydaughter was due on the 11:15 am train and was 45 mins delayed this was due to ques at check in, I think people getting to the check early,

Half the time thats what happens: People see a problem where there isn't one, panic and rush to get there early thereby creating the queues that cause delays.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hows Calais looking funsters? Made good time today, garda to colmer aire, only lost 50 mims at Gothard tunnel...enjoying a G&T now.

Will be at tunnel Tuesday morning. Nothing in my daily paper so seems OK? ( born optomist:))

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

See my example prices I posted earlier!

It depends if you are taking your dog or not. If you aren't then Tee's figure is probably somewhere close. If are are then use my numbers.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Brittany Ferries Routes make Spain more accessible for us.

We both still work, running businesses, family etc.

When we have driven to Spain Via Eurotunnel it has taken us a very long time. Once took us 10 hours to cover a 5 hour journey from Folkestone to Manchester.

We had taken 3 days to get back up from Southern Spain to Calais and then another day home.

I have done it in a very Fast car in a couple of days but I just prefer those quiet Spanish roads, the easy Zarragoza route and the fact that it is 50% toll free route. Class 1 for us too in Spain. It all makes sense to use BF.

Yes, many will get £1500 quotes. But it is often for last minute bookings, very large vehicles or as in the other Funsters case, having to take 8 Berths because they want a pet in each of the 4 berth cabins.

Join the club, we have. As I said, you can save the cost usually on first or within 2 bookings. Or use a friend or funsters code for 10%.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, many will get £1500 quotes. But it is often for last minute bookings, very large vehicles or as in the other Funsters case, having to take 8 Berths because they want a pet in each of the 4 berth cabins.

Join the club, we have. As I said, you can save the cost usually on first or within 2 bookings. Or use a friend or funsters code for 10%.

We won't ever be travelling without the dogs. We would have no choice but to book 2 cabins under the current rules. If we could book one 4 berth for the three of us and both dogs we would. I think £700-800 would still be excessive but I might consider it for the time saving.

I'm not knocking the route, I'm knocking their pet policy.

Find me a way around it that still lets me travel with both dogs (them being kennelled on board or staying in the vehicle is not an option) and I will happily book for Spain next summer.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
To be honest I'd rather drive.. the only ferry I'd consider would be those Greece Italy ones with camping on board ... ( which it has been pointed out will never happen here)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
On Advance bookings for 2016, two people in a 6m Motorhome can go to Spain for less than £200 each way with BF CDV

Even October this year will cost a shade over £200 with seats rather than cabins.

Attachments

• octcheap.jpg
    octcheap.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hows Calais looking funsters? Made good time today, garda to colmer aire, only lost 50 mims at Gothard tunnel...enjoying a G&T now.

Will be at tunnel Tuesday morning. Nothing in my daily paper so seems OK? ( born optomist:))

According to tonight's local news the extra security has worked and the problems have decreased dramatically.
Hope you enjoyed your G&T, I'm on cognac & tonic at the moment :beerchug:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

According to tonight's local news the extra security has worked and the problems have decreased dramatically.
Hope you enjoyed your G&T, I'm on cognac & tonic at the moment :beerchug:

Thanks...new I could rely on you sweetie..,think this thread has gone astray!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
On Advance bookings for 2016, two people in a 6m Motorhome can go to Spain for less than £200 each way with BF CDV

Even October this year will cost a shade over £200 with seats rather than cabins.
How about over 7m and over 3m with a dog...
Not so attractive ... and to be honest,as above I'd rather drive. I'm happier in the van.. as is the dog. If I needed to I could get there in a similar time driving.
Advanced bookings for eurotunnel frequent traveller at £43 plus dog each way

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We'll never use anything other than the tunnel until ferry companies start allowing dogs to stay with you on the crossing without having to pay ridiculous amounts for pet friendly cabins.

I agree....I can't understand why they can't have a separate car/camper section in ferry car decks where people are allowed to stay in or at least visit their vehicle. We have thought about one of us sneakily staying in the van with our two nervous girls. If all the blinds are shut, would anyone know?

Otherwise we are limited to the Chunnel. Not normally a problem but don't fancy it much right now!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not normally a problem but don't fancy it much right now!

It's fine right now. Don't let the scaremongers put you off.

We used it travelling out three weeks ago when the alleged "problems" were at their peak and back last week. We had no problems whatsoever apart from a bit of a delay on the A20 diversion but that was my fault because I should have known and used the M2/A2 route. On the French side we saw a few migrants wandering around but you always see a few.

There really is nothing to worry about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back