Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't fault the tunnel for flexibility. We have frequent traveler. Did last minute dash to Brugge Friday evening. Just on tunnel on way back. So easy. Turned up 1hr early they just put us on the next available. Excellent service and no stress even with the dog(y). Signal as well to read motor home fun(y)

hard to explain how reasonable and flexible it is..have changed return 5 times in one instance...Only way to travel IMO

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Same here. So easy. Right just back in blighty. Best start driving. Only down side is the bloody M25:madder:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes but 2x ferry price. just done for when I want to travel & tunel comes up @142€ with dog & ferry @ 77€. & that is with a decent ferry time & tunel not.
+when I have amended the tunel to the same as the ferry it is now telling me that the fare alone is 166€, because the cookies are letting it know I am rummaging around , yet when I use the other computer it is back to 118€. I hate sites that do that.:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We usually book one way out and book return 2 or 3 days ahead, with a bit of flexibility to get the best deal. We travelled back a couple of weeks ago. Booked on the Thursday morning over the internet before we left the Aire at San Sebastian and got a late afternoon train on the Saturday for £109. Could have got it for about £95 if we had been willing to travel early morning, but decided it wasn't worth the extra rush up.

There is not much saving by booking early. The cheapest I can find in booking in 6 months time is about £75. But it will cost you a fortune if you leave it until the same day (or day before) to book or if you just turn up to pay.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We usually book one way out and book return 2 or 3 days ahead, with a bit of flexibility to get the best deal. We travelled back a couple of weeks ago. Booked on the Thursday morning over the internet before we left the Aire at San Sebastian and got a late afternoon train on the Saturday for £109. Could have got it for about £95 if we had been willing to travel early morning, but decided it wasn't worth the extra rush up.

There is not much saving by booking early. The cheapest I can find in booking in 6 months time is about £75. But it will cost you a fortune if you leave it until the same day (or day before) to book or if you just turn up to pay.
Even if you are on the terminal, do not book through the office, do it online and it will be cheaper even useing their own wifi, in the same building

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Hull to Zeebruge for us. 33 miles from "Ull" and a good nights kip after a few beers.

No M1, M25 or Albanians wanting a lift home..........

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone else noticed this thread is a year old almost to the day, yet all the same old things are coming up again, everyone off for the day and planning the next trip:)(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am absolutely baffled by how you folks get such cheap prices from the chunnel
I have just checked for next January ( !!! ).. Tried every day of the week and all times. Cheapest I can find is £75 out and a bit more coming back

Compare that to £54 each way on P & O and there is no contest

How do folks get it so darned cheap ???? ( and I am not talking about with Tescos vouchers, just the quoted prices )

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just checked for next January ( !!! ).. Tried every day of the week and all times. Cheapest I can find is £75 out and a bit more coming back

How do folks get it so darned cheap ???? ( and I am not talking about with Tescos vouchers, just the quoted prices )
No one has come up with less than£75 as I can see

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
'Frequent Traveller' rate is a great option if you can do two or three return journeys a year and have a friend or relative who can do likewise.

Need to buy 10 single tickets @£43 each (car and up to 9 occupants). Then there is an £11 supplement each way for a motorhome. So with the van it costs £108 return and no need to book until 24 hours before travel.

You are allowed to have up to 2 different names (users) on the account, and obviously the other person could be a car user, rather than MH - or both MH owners.

Earliest train from Folkestone to Calais is 4pm - another supplement if you want to go earlier. On the return from from Calais to Folkestone - normal travel time without any extra charges is for departures between midnight and 2pm.

Works for us!(y)

Mike

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look at my "sharing frequent traveller" thread over in France forum. Flexible and cheap year round....

we always go high season as wife works in education, have always paid the basic frequent traveller return which is £108 return.....To us its a no brainer!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No one has come up with less than£75 as I can see

Ok.. so how are people thinking this is cheap then ??

Someone said they are watching the pennies or something similar .. There are an awful lot of pennies between £104 and £165 !!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ok.. so how are people thinking this is cheap then ??

Someone said they are watching the pennies or something similar .. There are an awful lot of pennies between £104 and £165 !!

For us it's worth every penny of that and more for the convenience, speed, flexibility and the fact that the dogs stay with us on the journey. No brainer for us, it's the tunnel every time.

Having said that the last time we went, at the end of February I checked all the Dover - Calais ferry options just as an exercise and at the times we had the tunnel booked there was hardly anything in it. I think one of the ferries was actually dearer and one was less than £20 cheaper.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would rather pay £50-£100 more and travel when I want rather than save money by travelling in the middle of the night or on a slow ferry.

That said we travel in school holidays so don't have the luxury of time.

Even if we did I can't see me changing my ways.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Exactly as I posted. I did until next february & best was 108€-
I have never ever found anything cheap. Best I ever managed was £71 in 2012 & for the car. For me in July the tunnel is a least double any ferry price for every day that I have checked.
Another thing that intrigues me is why is flexible @ least 3 x the standard fare ?
Why am I also charged £17 each way per dog when they state that there are no checks leaving the UK & the ferry doesn't charge anything ?
Just done another comparison for september & it is tunel £95 ferry £56

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Eurotunnel frequent traveller deal, any size van £108 return any time of the year.

colyboy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Every one to their own of course, but for us, travelling at a time I want ( usually mid morning ) is just fine .. And we have found the ferries are often quite accommodating re times .. if we arrive early then 9 times out of 10 they have given us an earlier ferry time any way.
The only time we turned up late due to an accident on the road causing massive delays it was still not a problem as they were aware of the issue and accepted it was unavoidable

Personally I would rather go by ferry if possible purely cos I would much prefer to have the large amount of folding stuff the Chunnel charges in my pocket than theirs.. I check all the options every time we travel and believe me, if it was only £20 difference then I MIGHT consider it.. but not the more usual £40 to £50 difference EACH WAY

As for frequent traveller option.. Fine if you go back and forth but the MOST we are likely to go is twice a year so that, for us, is a non starter :-(

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Jaws.. not sure if you're aware .. but you can share the frequent traveller facility.
personaly ..we use only the tunnel. We have a limited amount of time away and see the ferry as wasting time. With the tunnel we just get on with travelling. . Early or later trains are rarely a problem either. Unless it's very busy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes mate.. am aware.. But I do not know anyone who goes over three times ... Perhaps I will have to contact one of the 'bacca barons' who go back and forth !! LOL !!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We use the Tesco vouchers. Our crossing for later this month is costing £14.

But we don't shop in Tesco.

My wife had the bright idea of applying for a Tesco credit card.

We load all our monthly spending onto that card and then clear the balance at the end of the month.

Every £ spent is a clubcard point(y)

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

We load all our monthly spending onto that card and then clear the balance at the end of the month.

Exactly what we do :)

Rob

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Each to his own. We much prefer the tunnel. My wife is not a good sailor and is nervous when on a boat, as well as sea sick if it is even slightly rough. Not a good start or finish to a nice trip.

And we just prefer staying in the motorhome, rather than fighting for a decent seat when the ferry is full, and then having to put up with the screaming kids running amok. It also means I usually have a quick kip on the bed. Has to be quick because the crossing only takes 35 minutes and we are then on our way relaxed and ready for the journey.

So for us the small extra cost is worth it. And it is a drop in the ocean compared with the amount most motorhomes depreciate each year, and not to mention the cost of diesel to get to the sun.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Interesting. Is it Visa or Mastercard please? And what is the conversion rate for the tunnel fares please?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Each to his own. We much prefer the tunnel. My wife is not a good sailor and is nervous when on a boat, as well as sea sick if it is even slightly rough. Not a good start or finish to a nice trip.

And we just prefer staying in the motorhome, rather than fighting for a decent seat when the ferry is full, and then having to put up with the screaming kids running amok. It also means I usually have a quick kip on the bed. Has to be quick because the crossing only takes 35 minutes and we are then on our way relaxed and ready for the journey.

So for us the small extra cost is worth it. And it is a drop in the ocean compared with the amount most motorhomes depreciate each year, and not to mention the cost of diesel to get to the sun.

couldn't have put it better..

I just booked our trip and it cost £291 less £45 Tesco vouchers.. could have saved a bundle on a ferry but rather go by Le Shuttle... it's all about choice..

my only gripe is the charge for the pooches... £68 return..

Departure
(local time)
Standard Fare | Folkestone to Calais | Thursday 23 July 2015
Check-in closes 11:20 Departure time 11:50Arrival time 13:25
£135
Broken Link Removed
Returning
(local time)
Standard Fare | Calais to Folkestone | Thursday 13 August 2015
Check-in closes 11:20Departure time 11:50 Arrival time 11:25
£88
Broken Link Removed
Vehicle details Campervan

Registration number: *************
Broken Link Removed
Pets Outward journey2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34
Return journey2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34
Travelling with your pet? Check out our online pages on pet travel and DEFRA's information on the Pet Travel Scheme for a smooth journey.
Broken Link Removed
Travel Cost

£291
Broken Link Removed
Tesco Vouchers Amount

£45

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And what is the conversion rate for the tunnel fares please?

£10 worth of Tesco vouchers is worth £30 for tunnel fares. You have to book over the phone, you can't use them when booking online.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I just booked our trip and

You're only a day different to us each direction. (y) Which way are you headed when you get there?

Departure
Standard Fare | Folkestone to Calais | Wednesday 22 July 2015(local
time) Check-in closes 17:50 Departure time 18:20 Arrival time 19:55 £77

Returning
Standard Fare | Calais to Folkestone | Wednesday 12 August 2015(local
time) Check-in closes 10:20 Departure time 10:50 Arrival time 10:25 £86

Vehicle Campervan

Broken Link Removed
Pets Outward journey 2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34 Return journey 2 Dogs / Cats / Ferrets £34

Travelling with your pet? Check out our online pages on pet travel and DEFRA's information on the Pet Travel Scheme for a smooth journey.

Cost £231

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You're only a day different to us each direction. (y) Which way are you headed when you get there?

South west.. the Atlantic coast .. primarily for Charlotte who wants to go sun bathing and surfing...:cool:
She wants to re-visit the places from her full timing days when she was just 6 yo .. now almost 15 , so not many more years to endure enjoy her company :LOL:

Mimizan Plage, Capbreton, etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back