Ongar essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuild
Exp
4th year
I have just started planning a 6-8 week Europe trip to start May 2019,
I thinking of taking in Holland Germany, Switzerland , Italian lakes
then maybe back via Austria , I would appreciate any suggestions or route , Am I trying to take in to many countries in time available ? I don't want to rush .

Also any advice of trip planning app or just good old spread sheet ?

Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
Good luck with you planing,I'm doing France Italy Switzerland,Germany then Home September - October/November,my plan is get of the Ferry Caen head South hahahaha

Seriously though theres a Place in Switzerland which is an absolute Must, Lauterbrunnen,its probably the most spectacular place i have ever been

But as they say its all down to Personal preference

Good luck

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think you can easily do a good tour of all of those countries in the time you have available, although obviously you won’t be able to see absolutely everything. We love Bruges (which I appreciate is Belgium but can easily be incorporated in your trip) Utrecht, Groningen, the Rhine Valley and the Black Forest. The Italian Lakes are fabulous. Have a great trip. As my work commitments mean that I have never been able to have a trip longer than 10 days, I am very jealous!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
8 weeks will be better otherwise it will be drive drive drive .
Its going to be about 2500- 3000 miles minimum

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My advice on planning is always "don't do too much". Otherwise you become a slave to the plan rather than enjoying yourself. Just a big list of interesting places you want to see and a rough plan as to which compass direction to drive off of the ferry/tunnel is all you need. No need to book as most sites will not be full in May or June. And if they are there will be plenty of others to stop at, including Aires.

When we go we tend to follow the good weather. Just look at any good weather app (Ventusky is the one we mainly use) and head for the warmth, or, at least, lack of rain! We make up our mind each morning where we will aim for that day, and sometimes it is where we are, or other times it may be anything from 20 to 300 miles away. To us that is the beauty of motorhoming in Europe. We really do not need to plan much except in late July/August, which are the times we don't go. Just take our ACSI discount card and plenty of apps and books as to where to stay.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
On your way through Austria pay for the glossglockner pass. Google it as my words cant do it justice

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Switzerland is stunning but plan on at least £30 a night on campsites. Wild camping is verboten.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Switzerland is stunning but plan on at least £30 a night on campsites. Wild camping is verboten.

Does that include outside or near my friends' houses? If not what about near other houses; who knows how many friends I have?

Do they differentiate between camping and parking, and are the rules the same in all Cantons - a lot of other rules are not, voted in by referenda.

Just askin'

Geoff

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am I trying to take in to many countries in time available ?

That's a nice doable trip you have there.

Don't plan it at all, that ruins everything. Make it up as you go along and if you never leave Holland what a success that would be.

Worst thing possible is "I have 2 hours 20 minutes left here and 4 hours to get to XXXX for two nights".

Relax. If it's good have another glass of wine, if you've had enough look at the map and choose, though in reality it's often look at the weather forecast then look at a map.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does that include outside or near my friends' houses? If not what about near other houses; who knows how many friends I have?

Do they differentiate between camping and parking, and are the rules the same in all Cantons - a lot of other rules are not, voted in by referenda.

Just askin'

Geoff
Ask your friends, if anyone should they will know the local rules. I was thinking more about parking up in the countryside, it is all very manicured and regulated from what I've seen. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Just askin'

Geoff
Ask your friends, if anyone should they will know the local rules. I was thinking more about parking up in the countryside, it is all very manicured and regulated from what I've seen. :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Your 12 months behind me, I plan to leave early May 2018 for 12 weeks (unpaid leave).
I like to plan route and stops for first 3 or 4 nights then wing it after that. I think you do need to do some research on your intended route though so you don't go past on the main roads places of interest only to find out too late what you missed.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We would second the recommendation to include Lauterbrunnen on your Swiss segment, but would suggest you pass on the first campsite (Camping Jungfrau), and carry on down the valley to Breithorn - a lovely site in a fabulous location. Great walking, great scenery, and great hospitality.

Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
JFD

Thanks for that recommendation I was actually going too stay at Jungfrau as I stayed there many many years ago,but will carry on to Breithorn,I assume its signposted

Many Thanks

ALLEN

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
May I ask what the issue is with Jungfrau ?
@JFD
It may be more expensive. We got a discount for the ACSI card and another for low season, this was October, and it came to £32 a night. Otherwise it would have been about £50 a night. I suspect Breithorn is less but the reception was firmly shut when we called there so we went to Jungfrau instead, which is a very swish place and worth visiting just for the experience. :)

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
When we were there, the Jungfrau site was packed solid, with very little space between motor homes. I have to confess that we did not examine the facilities closely, having decided that the site was just too busy for us!
The Breithorn site, on the other hand, was much more spacious and relaxed, with good facilities, so we enjoyed a few days there.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back