Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have been looking a purchasing an Autotrail 696G but it has side facing passenger seats. Have now looked into the law on this and found the following:- interested to know how others are getting around it and why they are producing a motorhome that is not compliant

Motorhomes manufactured after Janurary 2006...

... must have at least two point safety belts for all designated seats. Mountings and belts have to conform to European and UK legal requirements (travel seats will need to be badged as such). Rear passengers in motorhomes will be obliged to use the designated seats and their safety belts. Sideways facing seats cannot be designated as travel seats (statistics show that belted side facing seats can be very dangerous in the event of collision).

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
My take on this is as follows.

If the seats are side facing then they cannot be designated as seats for travelling and therefore do not require seatbelts. Therefore these seats must not be used for travelling.

The manufacturer has not designated them as travelling seats have they? If not, then they have done nothing wrong.

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OK, thanks - that's also my understanding. Oh well, back to the drawing board to find an alternative purchase as we want the option to carry 2+2. Shame, lovely motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think most of the new Autotrails M/H's can now be ordered with forward fracing travel seats. They have it as a cost option.

We have been looking at them and getting a seond hand Cheyenne with seat belts is hard. You might have to go the new route.

Richard...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back