European Repatriation Insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We are off next week and although I have breakdown cover from Iveco I would like insurance to cover Mrs CC and the 2 Jack Russell’s to get home should I fall ill.

Anyone have a policy like this please?

Looked at the RAC that will cover us both and the Motorhome but not the dogs 🐶

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Camc do a break down and personal travel policy where if you have a break down they will repatriate pets as well, under the personal travel section it says they will repatriate your party but don't specifically say pets, it may be worth giving them a ring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We always have the Red Pennant Insurance from the Caravan and Motorhome Club. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Camc do a break down and personal travel policy where if you have a break down they will repatriate pets as well, under the personal travel section it says they will repatriate your party but don't specifically say pets, it may be worth giving them a ring.
Will give them a go thanks
We always have the Red Pennant Insurance from the Caravan and Motorhome Club. Highly recommended.
Thanks had a look and van to big plus does not mention pets.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you asked your van insurer?
I’m pretty sure it’s covered by our policy with NFU mutual in the event of driver incapacity

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had to get RAC Arrival via the Caravan & Camping Club. The regular RAC policy only covers up to 3.5 tonne. It's not cheap though - we paid over £400 this year.

We have a dog and I've not thought to check he would be covered for repatriation. If he wasn't I expect we'd hire a car and bring him back to the UK in that.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We had to get RAC Arrival via the Caravan & Camping Club. The regular RAC policy only covers up to 3.5 tonne. It's not cheap though - we paid over £400 this year.

We have a dog and I've not thought to check he would be covered for repatriation. If he wasn't I expect we'd hire a car and bring him back to the UK in that.
We broke down in Austria last year with Arrival and even before diagnosis they sorted hotel and catered for two dogs so i guess all good.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
i always thought that if wife was on insurance then she should be able to drive ,
but what has insurance policy got to do with breakdown cover ?
how would they even know , the details of your insurance?

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If you get the RAC Arrival cover through Camping and Caravan Club it will cover MHs of 7500 tonnes. It cost us £400 pa though.
Many thanks for that, I did look at them and they didn’t cover 7.5t
I am a member of the club so will give them a call.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Did you call the Caravan Club about Red Pennant? I’ve just read something that suggests they will insure bigger vehicles but only over the ‘phone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i always thought that if wife was on insurance then she should be able to drive ,
Yes in principle but not a requirement to physically drive it for insurance so long as she has the correct licence to be able to drive it if she wanted/needed to.

but what has insurance policy got to do with breakdown cover ?
how would they even know , the details of your insurance?
I think that there's a bit of 'overlap' going on regarding travel and breakdown cover.

If the main driver is incapacitated that would be covered by travel insurance and if the wife is listed as a named driver on the vehicle insurance policy (VIP) she would be expected to drive the vehicle to get them back home. If, however, she is not listed on the VIP the company wouldn't be able to insist she drove and would have to provide a driver to get them back home.

Breakdown cover doesn't rely on having to provide a driver as by default it's the vehicle that's 'poorly' not the human so if the vehicle needed to be repatriated as it could be driven it wouldn't matter who was named on the VIP.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Also don't forget that an accident doesn't constitute a "breakdown" So check you have repatriation after an accident!

Arrival were appalling when push came to shove when we needed them in 2018

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back