European Pet Passport - Portugal (Mortágu) (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
Just a shout out for a lovely vets in Mortágu, Portugal.

As you know the AHC can cost anywhere between £100 and £250 generally, valid for 4 months and single trip use.

We are travelling for an extended period through France, Portugal and Spain and had planned with advice on here, to get a Pet Passport in the Benicassim area of Spain. BeniVets being one that had been recommended and we had made contact with. No problem with the vet as seemed nice, but needed a Spanish address (a campsite address/booking was suitable), plus our little pooch would have needed another rabies vaccine as they wouldn’t accept the proof from our own vet and the AHC even though the jab was only two months previous as well as €80-90 for the jab and issue of passport.

We are currently traversing the N2 in Portugal and happened to be stopped in a great Aire/motorhome stop in Mortágu (free by the way with all services as well as 40amp electric also unlimited and free) and were walking past a vet’s in the town, when I thought I would just stick my head through the door and enquire.

Spoke to Dr Luis Ferreira who spoke fluent English and a nice man, who said he would happily do it. Just needed to read the microchip, get the rabies vaccine details already administered by our vet off of our dog’s health card as well as the AHC and would issue without a problem. Just had to shoot back to the moho and made an appointment for about two hours later.

Shiny new European Pet Passport with all details completed. No need for further rabies jab as the MSD Rabies Nobivac issued by our own vet in the UK was the same as he would have administered anyway.

All for sticking our head through a vets door, 30 minutes of our time and €41.60.

So thank you to Luis Ferreira at animal24@sapo.pt in Mortágu, Portugal. Lovely vet and two great assistants.

The local wine is top notch too.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Any chance you could add the details to maz s thread 👍

OP
OP
L
Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
liamharry

Great news - he who dares, wins! (y)

Just check tho', as it is a transferred vaccination, that the vet has recorded the date of implantation of the microchip rather than the date of reading it.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I hate to be the bearer of bad news BUT I seem to remember reading on here that IF the vet has simply copied the date of the administered rabies jab onto the new Pet Passport (i.e the date of the rabies jab is before the issue date of the PP) then it’s invalid and will be rejected by the authorities when you return to the UK and won’t be valid to travel back into the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
The date of the vaccination has to be after (or the same as) the date recorded for the implantation or reading of the microchip, but can be before the date of the issue of the PP, as I understand it. So if both dates were OK on the AHC and both have been transferred to the PP, then you should be good, IMO.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The issue date of the PP is irrelevant, as above the important ones are the rabies vac date and the chip implantation date, NOT chip reading date.

Chip implantation date at the same time or before rabies vac given ... all is good.
Chip implantation or reading date at same time as rabies vac given ... all is good
Chip reading date after rabies vac given ... uh-oh ... no good ... bummer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back