SwiftHotel

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2018
Hello All from Julie and Bill. Advice needed please ,we bought our first motorhome March2018 so pretty new to this game and only just discovered this forum. The last 2 winters we have spent in Portugal, flying home for a few weeks over Christmas. This meant 2 separate trips each winter so within 45 day maximum on our multi trip annual travel insurance. This time we do not intend to fly home mid winter so are looking for single trip insurance of around 120 days.This is proving difficult to find as most companies are not offering cover for France,Spain or Portugal due to FO advice. The probable loss of EHIC cards from January 1 2021 is also a factor. I know lots of you have been going down for the whole winter so wonder if anyone can help point us in the right direction for this cover.
Thanking you in Advance
Bill

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Your bigger issue may well be that your house insurance will be invalidated by such a long absence. It’d be wise to check that out too.

Re travel insurance, have you tried the big clubs?

Ian

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
For travel insurance - check out World First
Staysure
Avanti

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SwiftHotel

SwiftHotel

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2018
Thanks for your replies, Stepson lives with us so our house will not be unoccupied, also yes previously we have travel insurance through CAMC (Red Pennant).They are not covering any country in FO list of only essential travel.
I am 75,wife 58 so thanks Brewery Dave but too old, may give them a try anyway.
I have tried both Staysure and Avanti. Quotes between £1500and £1900! and still 104 days maximum. Seems a bit ridiculous, been paying around £240.00 with Red Pennant for annual multi trip cover. Each trip limited to 45 days though and not covering countries on FO list(see previous post)
Another twist is that most of the benefits of travel insurance we do not need,ie cancellation of trip,lost luggage, airport delays etc. Would be quite happy to forego any repatriation and cover for existing conditions also if required.
Bounty Hunter, yes I have seen this for Spain, not sure about France and most important,Portugal. Fingers crossed that this becomes clearer soon. Planning on leaving mid November so a little while yet.
Thanks again
Bill

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm not sure if I am talking out of my whatsit here but could you buy insurance in the country you are visiting? I suppose it depends on exactly you wish to be covered for.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks for your replies, Stepson lives with us so our house will not be unoccupied, also yes previously we have travel insurance through CAMC (Red Pennant).They are not covering any country in FO list of only essential travel.
I am 75,wife 58 so thanks Brewery Dave but too old, may give them a try anyway.
I have tried both Staysure and Avanti. Quotes between £1500and £1900! and still 104 days maximum. Seems a bit ridiculous, been paying around £240.00 with Red Pennant for annual multi trip cover. Each trip limited to 45 days though and not covering countries on FO list(see previous post)
Another twist is that most of the benefits of travel insurance we do not need,ie cancellation of trip,lost luggage, airport delays etc. Would be quite happy to forego any repatriation and cover for existing conditions also if required.
Bounty Hunter, yes I have seen this for Spain, not sure about France and most important,Portugal. Fingers crossed that this becomes clearer soon. Planning on leaving mid November so a little while yet.
Thanks again
Bill
Make sure your stepson is named on the insurance policy and electrol roll . You could try a backpacker insurance policy but unfortunately your age might go against you.

OP
OP
SwiftHotel

SwiftHotel

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2018
Bounty Hunter, thanks for that .Not seen it as we're pretty new to this site but looks very useful.I'll investigate further. Not sure if repatriation is important anyway, if one of is ill we would want to stay till better then drive van home as planned. I know the unexpected sometimes jumps and and bites us but may just have to give the credit cards a hit !

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have found that by going to the comparison sites...(Moneysupermarket, Go Compare etc.) Go to Travel Insurance and answering the questions they ask, duration, location, ages, medical etc etc as honestly as you can, they will supply a list of quotes, some from unusual sources (we have been covered by Debenhams Finance).

One tip... try to opt for the 'no contact' option at the end of the questionnaire as, if you don't, you might get telesales ringing you.

Good Luck

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did a quote with www.Insurefor.com the other day for us for 60 days away on a single trip and an annual multi-trip with the same time limit per trip, the single was over 4 times dearer than the multi!

If you can get a multi that will cover you for 120 days that will be cheaper but obviously you are unlikely to get covid cover with it.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I am with nation wide I do my cover though them take out yearly cover
renewed April this year unable to use because of virus
was not cheap but gives peace of mind
to enjoy sun sea and of course the odd glass of wine
happy days

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am with nation wide I do my cover though them take out yearly cover
renewed April this year unable to use because of virus
was not cheap but gives peace of mind
to enjoy sun sea and of course the odd glass of wine
happy days
I think I saw something yesterday about them changing their cover terms so might be an idea to have a shuftie.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mine is a backpackers with insure and go. You can get online quote.
As previously stated if you are in europe prior to 31 dec your ehic card will cover you until you return home.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Thanks for the reply I have a look but don’t expect to get away this year or the early part of next year
I suppose the cost will go up next year another year older but what the heck my wife and I do enjoy our travels
just have to see
the children are very supportive and say they come and get us if they need to
at the moment it’s a full time job cleaning off the sea gulls dropping
one of the joys of living by the sea
but that’s the only moan at present happy days

OP
OP
SwiftHotel

SwiftHotel

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2018
Thanks Everyone for your very helpful replies. I will investigate them all seriously during the next couple of weeks as planning on leaving mid November.
I will post the results on here as it may be useful to others.
Thanks again
Bill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you tried SAGA? You may not get 120 days but they should be close and after 1 Jan you are going to be limited to stays of 90 days if you only have a UK passport.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On another topic but similar, what do people think we are realistically going to need to go to Europe after this year?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On another topic but similar, what do people think we are realistically going to need to go to Europe after this year?
I think that's been covered before. An international driving license of the right sort as there are two different ones, Spain for example needs a different one to France and medical insurance unless you are feeling lucky. The cost of medical insurance will rise considerably I fear unless some sort of reciprocal agreement is reached - which isn't impossible.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just done quick check on my insurance (due end of month) , don’t need breakdown. 84k value 80 years old. ASDA came up with I think is very good at £546.35.

BUT I am goi g to check the small print!

Colyboy

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we was looking when we was allowed to travel, haha. It was cheaper if we only went to France, it went up if crossing in to Spain. Don’t know why.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t forget if you are staying in schengen only you are limited to 90 days now so unless you plan going to Morocco for a while you wouldn’t need 120 days?🤔

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we was looking when we was allowed to travel, haha. It was cheaper if we only went to France, it went up if crossing in to Spain. Don’t know why.
There have been some insurers who have never included Spain as standard, no idea why but since we've been going to Spain we've always avoided them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back