European breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elldis Autoquest
Exp
I'm a newbie
Anyone point me in the direction of the best European breakdown cover for motorhomes please. Also how do you wonderful folks cope if you get a puncture ? I have a Peugeot Boxer chassis and I'm clueless where the jack point is and if the jack providing would take the weight. Thanks in advance

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there - we are with Britannia now part of LV.
They have always been great. We lost a tyre in Belgium once and they sent a guy out to change the wheel in about 40 mins. (I think he was local rather than from Halifax.)
What I like about them is - they send an evaluation form every time you use them, so the local agent has to be good to keep the business. They also allow additional drivers on the policy so we cover the whole fleet. There is no worry about repeat call out, and they specifically cover the MH as they know the size - no 'Oh we can't pick that up Sir, we only cover vehicles up to a certain size'.

D

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
My ADAC expires next month so gone with the Nationwide account which works out cheaper than most of the breakdown deals that I looked at.
If you have a Boxer chassis then you may have a spare wheel under the back end, if you have then I suggest that you have a practice and drop it down and change a wheel.
Hi,
Best check with Nationwides breakdown T&C’s that there no weight restrictions I.e. over 3.5T or over 7m, I have a Nationwide’s bank account but have never looked into that package offered for various insurance s I.e. travel, mobile phones, breakdown cover have you used any of these and were they ok and good value. Tia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Not strictly accurate although the cover is excellent.

.... any vehicle registered in the UK, being driven by or carrying the Nationwide FlexPlus
account holder(s) or a vehicle registered in the UK and owned and registered to the
account holder(s), which is being used with the permission of the account holder(s)
and does not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
- Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame).
- Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight.
- All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or
3.5 tonnes in weight.
- All vehicles must also meet the criteria specified in Section B -
Another vote for Nationwide - includes travel insurance which you can extend to over 90 days, & any health issues, over 75 etc, & also mobile phone insurance, which I didn’t want but have ended up using twice!

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Anyone point me in the direction of the best European breakdown cover for motorhomes please. Also how do you wonderful folks cope if you get a puncture ? I have a Peugeot Boxer chassis and I'm clueless where the jack point is and if the jack providing would take the weight. Thanks in advance

Hi there,
Some of the options you could consider depending on your current insurance position Comfort insurance if you are insured with them do a good breakdown cover which includes Europe, also if you are a member of C&CC they also do Motorhome cover both have no restrictions on Motorhome size or weight, if you don’t know where the jacking points are maybe best leave well alone, no offence intended, but a Motorhome on a jack is not something to be taken lightly, totally different ballgame to jacking a car up, the supplied jack may be the one originally supplied for a standard van and maybe totally unsuitable for a 3.5Ton Motorhome, if you’re unsure and paying for breakdown cover you may as well get them to change the wheel, that is if you had one supplied with the van, if not, get one before you need it, The can of bunk supplied to repair a puncture is as much use as a handbrake on a surfboard, hope you get sorted.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Another vote for Nationwide - includes travel insurance which you can extend to over 90 days, & any health issues, over 75 etc, & also mobile phone insurance, which I didn’t want but have ended up using twice!

Hi there have you had to use the Nationwide travel health insurance, as I am over 70 (just), I checked the t&c’s and they state over 70yrs 30days maximum cover abroad, and were not prepared to extend it, so I didn’t bother taking the monthly banking package as it’s no good for me when I’m away for 90days abroad in winter have you had any experience with using it outside of the stipulations. TIA

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Comanche B16 1 MAN
Exp
Since 1992
We get UK cover through our insurers, Caravan Guard, and for a small extra premium, we can get European cover. Very good value for an Auto-Trail Comanche.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Some say, Every day is a school day, well it was for me when I followed the experiences of a pair of you tube vloggers that had their Citroen based campervan engine blow up in Southern Spain recently.
The main problem in getting them home to the UK was that they had a dog, so couldn't fly, or take trains.
They consistently rang the praises for their AA European breakdown cover, for keeping them appraised every step of the way.
They initially arranged for the van to be towed to the local Citroen Dealership for diagnosis, problem was it was over xmas and during the Covid restrictions in Spain, so the AA arranged for them to be put up in an apartment that was fairly local & dog friendly, they ended up staying there much longer (10 days) than they thought as the Garage took over a week to even look at the van.
They were then quoted 4/5 thousand euro's to fix the van, with no guarantees that the price would not inflate if other issues were found.:eek:
They then decided to repatriate the van & return home to the UK using hire cars & taxis, all of which had to accept dogs. The AA liaised with them during the whole journey, arranging pick up & drop off places for hire cars near the borders, also arranged overnight stays in hotels, even air B&B's.
The AA then arranged the channel crossing back to dover, and a taxi met them there to take them home to Kent.
It was during this time also arranged for the van to be repatriated from the Spanish Citroen garage, back to their home in the UK which took nearly a month to happen, and when it eventually arrived the engine that had been stripped had been down in many parts & placed in several cardboard boxes and thrown in the back of the van.:swear:
The AA were brilliant in getting them & the van home despite the Covid restrictions plus having the dog of course.
They put a complaint into Citroen UK with supporting pictures & paperwork about how their van engine had been left in bits and delivered back to them, backed up by The AA legal team.
The Van was eventually collected by Citroen UK from their home address and taken for a closer inspection over 2 weeks ago. As yet they have heard nothing back from Citroen UK as to what they are proposing to do with the van to get it fixed.
The AA really did excel in helping them get home, liaised with them every day en- route & paid all their travel & accommodation costs, which amounted in the end to using 5 hire cars & 3 taxis 4 hotels inc air B&B's.

So the lesson for me was just how much more difficult it is to get yourselves home if you take a dog with you, let alone 2/3 dogs as some on here have.
Something to consider, not that we have a dog, but for those that do.
LES

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Hi there have you had to use the Nationwide travel health insurance, as I am over 70 (just), I checked the t&c’s and they state over 70yrs 30days maximum cover abroad, and were not prepared to extend it, so I didn’t bother taking the monthly banking package as it’s no good for me when I’m away for 90days abroad in winter have you had any experience with using it outside of the stipulations. TIA
I’m under 70, & haven’t tested the health insurance 🤞! They were happy to extend to 90 days for us, but don’t know if it would be different if we were older?

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi,
Best check with Nationwides breakdown T&C’s that there no weight restrictions I.e. over 3.5T or over 7m, I have a Nationwide’s bank account but have never looked into that package offered for various insurance s I.e. travel, mobile phones, breakdown cover have you used any of these and were they ok and good value. Tia.
I always check things out before I spend money, any Motorhome up to 8 m and up to 7.5 tonnes are covered, including Europe so the monthly fee is cheaper than most breakdown policies.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
I use Comfort insurance who put the breakdown insurance through DAS which is coordinated with the RAC and the cost for this is very reasonable at only about £70 per year and that covers the whole of Europe and as to changing a wheel at the side of the road don’t try and do this as you need a heavy duty hydraulic jack get-the breakdown service out after all you have paid for the service

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I have just opened a Nationwide bank account which includes EU breakdown for motorhome.

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2018
Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis LH drive
Exp
since 1979
I use nationwide bank cover any vehicle up to 7.5 ton and full European cover plus other insurances as part of bank account £13 a month

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back