European Breakdown Cover... width restrictions (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Hello,
I'm struggling to find Breakdown cover for 2 weeks in France for my Hymer B564...
The problem seems to be the width because its more than 2.25m (including the wing mirrors!)

Ive read most of the existing threads concerning Breakdown Cover and noone seems to have had this issue. Is this new restriction or am I just feeling paranoid?
Having been with the AA for almost 20 years maybe I'm out of touch!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hello,
I'm struggling to find Breakdown cover for 2 weeks in France for my Hymer B564...
The problem seems to be the width because its more than 2.25m (including the wing mirrors!)

Ive read most of the existing threads concerning Breakdown Cover and noone seems to have had this issue. Is this new restriction or am I just feeling paranoid?
Having been with the AA for almost 20 years maybe I'm out of touch!
Never heard of that before, only up to 3500 I've been caught out on but as has been said give ADAC a call, there's loads of threads on here about them including contact details. I joined last month €110 for 12mths without any problems, plus it's for you and your wife not the vehicle so anything your driving/passenger in is covered (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
RAC arrivals thru C&CC , no limits even 12mtr 12 tonne 2.5mtrs:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have breakdown with our comfort insurance they have recently changed to AA but no restrictions on weight or width we have an Exsis @2.22 m.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Breakdown cover with the dark side was RAC now AA they never said anything about any limits.

Joe

We have breakdown with our comfort insurance they have recently changed to AA but no restrictions on weight or width we have an Exsis @2.22 m.
The Dark side & Comfort insurance are one and the same.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The Dark side & Comfort insurance are one and the same.

Not at the moment! They are still separate entities at the moment as when I phoned Comfort for a quote the guy looked at his computer and said I see you are currently with "xxx, ie the Dark Side" we can't beat that quote. We'll be about 5% more expensive. They apparently will be taking over at some time but not sure when.

Denise

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Mesur with mirrors folded in if you brake down fold them in when loaded bill

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
OK, now I've got the same problem. I have two cars and a 2.38m wide BessaCarr. I have Arrival through C&CC which is £200 and they want over £80 to add on Eurocover for the Bessie. (Oh, and if I add it now it only runs until the renewal date which is April!)

I can get exactly the same car cover for £55 per car through my Insurer, so if I stayed with the RAC I would, in effect, pay £170 for the van. Looking at other sites, almost each one limits the width to 2.25m and the majority have a length limit of 5.5 m! Yes, fine if you've a Bongo or T5 etc., but pretty poor if it's a coachbuilt. I'm still trying to find reasonable cover so if you know of anyone please let me know. (Also, if you think you've got cover, I'd strongly suggest checking the height, length and width limits because nearly every site has them in the small print. Apparently my 6m Bessie is a 'large motorhome' and therefore excluded!)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK, now I've got the same problem. I have two cars and a 2.38m wide BessaCarr. I have Arrival through C&CC which is £200 and they want over £80 to add on Eurocover for the Bessie. (Oh, and if I add it now it only runs until the renewal date which is April!)

I can get exactly the same car cover for £55 per car through my Insurer, so if I stayed with the RAC I would, in effect, pay £170 for the van. Looking at other sites, almost each one limits the width to 2.25m and the majority have a length limit of 5.5 m! Yes, fine if you've a Bongo or T5 etc., but pretty poor if it's a coachbuilt. I'm still trying to find reasonable cover so if you know of anyone please let me know. (Also, if you think you've got cover, I'd strongly suggest checking the height, length and width limits because nearly every site has them in the small print. Apparently my 6m Bessie is a 'large motorhome' and therefore excluded!)
Our moho is a 7.5m A class and 4.5t and we get breakdown cover through our insurer. We have been with Saga (previous moho), Safeguard and now Comfort. All covered for UK and Europe and up to the size and weight of the moho that we insured. Comfort is through AA, and we have used it unfortunately and they recovered us in the UK. With the cars we are both covered by our bank account FOC.

Duffer

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr coach built
Exp
12 years
Our moho is a 7.5m A class and 4.5t and we get breakdown cover through our insurer. We have been with Saga (previous moho), Safeguard and now Comfort. All covered for UK and Europe and up to the size and weight of the moho that we insured. Comfort is through AA, and we have used it unfortunately and they recovered us in the UK. With the cars we are both covered by our bank account FOC.
My insurance is quite reasonable so I don't really want to change that. I looked at a couple of new quotes but, adding on the euro cover, they came to over £250 more than I currently pay. It's hard work trying to save money!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nationwide Flex Plus current account free European breakdown cover includes Motorhomes up to 7.5 ton & gives worldwide travel insurance. It cost £13 a months but pays 3% interest on the first £2500 in the account so that reduces yearly cost to £81. Otherwise consider changing insurers, Comfort insurance breakdown cover is only £60.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back